Critique Sunrise over Harbour

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
Took this a week ago, have posted it on reflections thread, but thought I'd do my own Thread to get any feedback and Critique :). Image is pretty much OOC, apart form addition of watermark.

DSCF1059.jpg

DSCF1054.jpg

Last edited:
I quite like it, the colours and mood etc but one thing putting me off is the positioning of the Sun, for me if the Sun is that close to the center of the frame it should be centered rather than just off. If it was my shot I'd crop the furthest boat to the left.

Yeah see what you mean :),in doing so would also remove the bit of empty space on the right :)

Last edited:
No 2 is very good. I like it a lot. I'd still crop it though. Maybe lose the first boat on the left, and the last one on the right.

Last edited:
No 2 is very good. I like it a lot. I'd still crop it though. Maybe lose the first boat on the left, and the last one on the right.
Cropped version, though not sure if I need to loose some of the top/bottom to maintain aspect ? Though I'd loose the shape of the light from the sun.

DSCF1054-2.jpg

Cropped version, though not sure if I need to loose some of the top/bottom to maintain aspect ? Though I'd loose the shape of the light from the sun.

DSCF1054-2.jpg
I think that looks great. You could crop the top if required, but I wouldn't crop the bottom.

Would it mess up the aspect much if you removed a bit more on the left? Just to remove a bit of the dead space.
I'd be happy to hang that on my wall.:)

Would it mess up the aspect much if you removed a bit more on the left? Just to remove a bit of the dead space.
I'd be happy to hang that on my wall.:)

Thanks for the complement :). A wee bit more cropping on the left, and a slight re-tweek of aspect ! :)

DSCF1054-10.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely images which should be in rural and scenice really.

right here we go....

I like the 1st shot, the position of the sun doesn't really bother me at all. but if these where shot in raw then id like to see the images processed and finished before uploading. Otherwise its like publishing the 1st draft of your novel. the watermark I hate, I feel its to big and ugly and if your worried about someone stealing your work then in these images the clone stamp tool would get rid of that in 2mins so don't worry about that.

the 2nd shot I like but you need to crop the boat on the right as it cant decide if its coming or going. lol.

I like the cropped version but it does bother me that you have clipped the mast of the 3rd boat. id personally clone the water to reduce the mast length. but that's your call.

I would like to know how ever what kit and settings where used???

hope that wasn't to harsh :)

Post 11 is my favourite, the last crop puts the sun too close to the edge for me. Definitely one for the wall.

right here we go....

I like the 1st shot, the position of the sun doesn't really bother me at all. but if these where shot in raw then id like to see the images processed and finished before uploading. Otherwise its like publishing the 1st draft of your novel. the watermark I hate, I feel its to big and ugly and if your worried about someone stealing your work then in these images the clone stamp tool would get rid of that in 2mins so don't worry about that.

the 2nd shot I like but you need to crop the boat on the right as it cant decide if its coming or going. lol.

I like the cropped version but it does bother me that you have clipped the mast of the 3rd boat. id personally clone the water to reduce the mast length. but that's your call.

I would like to know how ever what kit and settings where used???

hope that wasn't to harsh :)
Thanks for your feedback :), don't think you've been too harsh !.. am learning all the time, and appreciate honesty :). I didn't shoot in RAW, as I'd forgotten to shoot RAW and jpeg :-(. I used a Fuji X-E2, and the XC 50-230mm, ISO400, f5.6, 1/1400 for 1. 1/680 for 2. I hadn't notice I'd cropped the mast off third boat on cropped image 1, well spotted :).

Thanks for your feedback :), don't think you've been too harsh !.. am learning all the time, and appreciate honesty :). I didn't shoot in RAW, as I'd forgotten to shoot RAW and jpeg :-(. I used a Fuji X-E2, and the XC 50-230mm, ISO400, f5.6, 1/1400 for 1. 1/680 for 2. I hadn't notice I'd cropped the mast off third boat on cropped image 1, well spotted :).

im sure im going to start a riot saying this but here goes... always shoot raw and always use a tripod. that's rule number 1 for landscape. for this shot an aperture of f8-f16 would have helped increase dof your shutter speed would have still been plenty fast enough. iso 400 is a little high really as there is plenty of light. iso 100 would have given you a much cleaner image.

hope this helps and we are always learning. im no expert by a long stretch. id love your opinions of some of my work. if you wish the links are below?

Facebook.com/phillbarrattphotography

thanks

Last edited:
im sure im going to start a riot saying this but here goes... always shoot raw and always use a tripod. that's rule number 1 for landscape. for this shot an aperture of f8-f16 would have helped increase dof your shutter speed would have still been plenty fast enough. iso 400 is a little high really as there is plenty of light. iso 100 would have given you a much cleaner image.

hope this helps and we are always learning. im no expert by a long stretch. id love your opinions of some of my work. if you wish the links are below?

Facebook.com/phillbarrattphotography

thanks
I rarely used a tripod, but maybe should use it more :), shots were taken spur of the moment, happen to have my camera and tele lens in the car, saw the sunrise was going to happen and ceized the moment :), the Fuji set auto iso to 400, not sure why, don't think I had dr set to 400 ?.. I also forgot to check the iso that was selected by camera ! Slap wrist :), for some reason I automatically shoot wide open, I'd probably have to shoot f16 to get everything in focus ? Will have a look at your link :)

Back