Sunset over Arran from Ayr pier

I like the colours and the composition Cathy - love the image in fact - but I think you've shot at quite an open aperture (hence there's not much misty-water from long exposure) but the image looks very soft at the foreground so I guess (as you've not posted up the EXIF data on flickr as I wanted to have a nose to see what the details were to get a better understanding of what might be wrong), maybe F4 or F5? Whereas F11, F13-F16 and up the ISO so dont be afraid of noise in the image, would have got a more in-focus/sharper image.

I do love the colours (as I've already said) and I do love the reflection of the sun in the water, but if you were, to say, print it out (im looking at it on a 40" TV) 10 inches wide or larger, then the softness would be more noticeable). A small print though (8" or less) would look smashing. Hope thats useful? But I do like staring at this. Its lovely. Calmed me down on a Monday morning, which is just what I need :)

Great colours but overall it's a bit soft I think.

It's such a shame they have replaced the light beacons down there, no character in the new ones at all.

This is great feedback everyone I really want to get better and I am so pleased with this info.
I am going to go back as I a trying to get the curve of the pier in the right place. Carl I am not sure what I shot it at as I was trying a few different settings but I will look.
I took loads so I will look through them again and try and follow the advice .
Thank you
Cathy

Carl I can even see now why it is soft.
I was hand holding using my kit lens at
1/50 sec ISO 100 F 7.1 23 mm

Back