Sunshine on the Storr

Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
Having made the trip to the Isle of Skye last week I have finally gotten round to posting up a shot. Now before people start jumping in with the overcooked and fake comments.
This is exactly the feel i was going for on this particular shot. Wanted an almost other worldly feel and painterly effect.
Just something a little different from what i usually do and different from the other old man of Storr shots i had seen.

As always, please feel free to comment. Won't be everyones cup of tea

Lord of the Rings by Gavin_D2009, on Flickr

I quite like the surreal take on the scene. I'm a firm believer in crap in = crap out, so the original image must have been pretty good to start with.

Hi Gavin, certainly took my breath away when first viewed, and as all photographers do we started looking some more etc, stepping ouside the box is always healthy IMO, beautiful photostream you have too may I add, and thank you for sharing
regards
kevin

I like it also- one small crit- there is a halo around the rocks that draws the eye

Les

I love the composition, but not the colour - mainly the sky.
And yes, there's a halo on the rocks.

I can't remember ever asking this, but may we see the original?

I won't comment on the colours as you've asked not too.
I will say I like the composition and the conditions look great.
The halo needs sorting though.

I'll post the original up later. The 'halo' is actually mist/fog the was slowly descending down the hill into the valley. You will see this present in the original raw file also

Reactions: ST4
I'll post the original up later. The 'halo' is actually mist/fog the was slowly descending down the hill into the valley. You will see this present in the original raw file also

I know you've asked for folk not to comment on the colours, you know the marmite nature of this image. Great light and subject matter but it's just too much for me

You have a really nice composition here, I don't get why you felt the need to process it this way.
I think the Storr can be 'otherworldly' without the need for overcooking.

I certainly take on board your comments and I think you've achieved exactly the image you were setting out for so well done for that. I'm comparing it with what I assume is the original on your Flickr in which case you've done a really great job with the PPing. My personal taste would be to tone down the sky a little but I do love the vivid colours on the greens. I really must make the effort to get up there one day.

You've definitely achieved what you set out to do and it's an image that has impact, composition is excellent. I probably fall into the "purist" group when it comes to colour/contrast etc. so inevitably find them a little OTT for my personal taste

Simon

No the halo is there due to sloppy adjustment brushing to lighting the exposure of the stacks, take your time and redo it for neater look without lightning the sky too

Nice composition but way too OTT for me

Back