Sunshine trying to get out in the Dales.....help needed.

Edit My Images
Yes
Took this shot today from Twistleton Scar (hopefully I'll download another soon, showing when the sun actually came out), I was hoping to try and lift the darkness in the foreground. I use Elements 12 and for the life of me I cannot get it to look natural when I increase the foreground levels only.....do you think I'm asking too much due to shooting into the sun. I took many images of this shot using +/-, spot, central etc....all came out similar. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Looking towards Ingleton
by brickdav, on Flickr

Have a look at this

Or this

You should have used an ND grad filter at the time of shooting did you?

You need to edit your Flcikr settings I downloaded the full size version of this.

Is this the kind of thing you are aiming for

Not-my-shot-61 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
David, this shot is a jpeg, but I also have it as a RAW file so once I know what I'm doing......I'll have a look what I can do from the RAW file.

Alf, many thanks for the links. I will have a look later......early night for me as the walk I did today has caught up on me:( I do have the 'dummies guide to Elements' which has not really helped.....but that could be just me:)

Alf, yes that's more like it....many thanks.
No grad used, had one for a my previous lens, but this one (Nikon 24-85) I've yet to get.

When you say "You need to edit your Flickr settings", I assume to stop people from downloading them...happy you did though. I've looked everywhere, but I cannot find where to change permissions..... probably me again - age/tiredness/thick, possible all of these.

The edit is great, and the foreground doesn't look over done. You can't beat the sun bursting through the clouds over a beautiful landscape.

Back