Swan lake

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Was out with Asha today, not many of these swans about.
Sun was strong so not the best shot.

View attachment 10113

Hi graham,

It looks like focus was an issue here, your exposure looks ok, I know the light is harsh but that's not your main problem. You can fix shadows and highlights in post, but you're fluffed with OOF images.

You have some stunning photos in your flickr set, how come you posted this? Its not up to your usual standard? :)

Geez thanks for the plus Carl, really helps confidence.
I don't know what happened here with focus, I don't really use PP so can't help shadows. Photos are like me, what you see is what you get.
Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
Graham - agree with Carl

IMHO, it's not good you could have taken that image with a P & S compact and achieved a similar result

Last edited:
Graham, I don't think the guys are trying to be harsh here, though possibly the phraseology could have been better guys, but there is something a little odd about it. The harsh light and shadows on swans [on white or black ones] is always a problem and they certainly won't pose in just the right place for you to minimise the problem so that in itself is not an issue. The focus is off, but I looked and then cleaned my specs and looked again. Then I checked on flickr and realised you have uploaded a large size so I think what I am seeing is flickr trashing it further in resizing it. So, two bits of advice I think - try and focus on the eye whenever possible for larger birds and animals [hard when its in shadow on a black bird I know] and if you want your photos to display at their best here, try and upload an 800px version to flickr too, so flickr isn't handling the resizing, you are before it even gets online. Flickr used to be quite good at it, but since they changed recently it has gone noticably downhill. Hope that helps a little. :)

sorry, just looked at what I said and it's not too helpful

Just re-calibrated my iMac screen and the image looks a little better

Last edited:
Tbh. I don't put my photos on Flickr then to here via link, always direct from PC. Yv I know what you mean and it's been taken in re focus the eye. I try but I don't have the best glass.
Thanks all for the comments

Back