Beginner Swell Woods Feeder.

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Last day off today as I am back on the silly shifts at work tomorrow, so before the rains arrive again I managed to get over the local RSPB woods.
Reasonably happy with these although no where near some on TP, however I feel I am getting better. Please be gentle.

All shots with Nikon D3200 with Tamron 18-270 PZD, Handheld.

I feel #1 & #2 the ISO was a little high although it is in the woods and the sun was in and out, perhaps someone can give me a pointer for when in woodland.

#1 f6.3 ISO 2000 1/250
Feeder 2 by Pete W, on Flickr

#2 f6.3 ISO 1600 1/160
Two on the Feeder by Pete W, on Flickr

#3 f6.3 ISO 1000 1/250
Upside Down On Feeder Jan 2016 by Pete W, on Flickr

I'm not sure if it's my phone playing up but I can't see them on flickr to view in more detail. However the first thing is to aim not to get them on feeders. Obviously it's easier to get them there, but doesn't make such a good image. Birds generally go on the surrounding branches between feeding so it's better to capture them there as they will have a natural perch.

The first shot seems to have a greenish yellowish colour cast. Have a play with the white balance as i think it's incorrect there.

With regards to the ISO and noise, unfortunately that's life. Little birds like to twitch and move about a lot and unless you're getting fast shutter speeds there's a chance the images will be slightly blurred. You did say this is handheld which could make them slightly softer, so consider a monopod or beanbag to stabilise yourself a bit. Trouble is, at the end of the day in less than ideal weather you often do end up needing to up the ISO to get the desired shutter speeds and on cameras like yours and even much more expensive ones like mine, a high ISO value will give you lots of noise. The only way around it is more expensive equipment or better weather! (Feel free to correct me if that's wrong, anybody who is reading!)

Hiya Pete, I would say the two biggest problems you had here was, the birds being on the wrong side of the feeder (on the darkside) and the actual feeders moving.

I started just like you, shooting birds on feeders, its a great way to practise. The nuthatch is a lovely bird and on the other side would have been in good light but still possibly not good enough to get the shutter speed up to where it needs to be. Is there any log like feeding stations more in the open?

I have a Nikon D7000 & 150-500 sigma, @500mm its f6.3 wide open and I try not to go any higher than 1600 ISO which can be limiting in poor light. For small birds like these, I'm looking at a min shutter speed of 1/800th because of their jittery quick movements. What I'm getting round to is, I've learn that if the light isn't there, I tend not to bother with the smaller stuff.

I've spent quite a few months last year watching LEO's and SEO's and because these hunt on open moor land the light isn't just as critical. I've also enjoyed photographing a few waders, they're a lot bigger than garden birds and I've found then easier (if that's the right word :D) to get a better image

Keep at it and most of all, enjoy the birds :)

Swell Woods is a lovely place, especially when the Herons and Egrets are breeding there but it does get quite dark and then it's a question of doing the best you can.
As has been said many times, better a sharp noisy image than a blurry clean one, so up the ISO as much as your equipment will cope with and have a shutter speed designed to stop the movement.
If you were working from the hide then a beanbag is a really good idea, helps stabilize the camera as well as protecting it from and rubs or scrapes. :)

Swell Woods is a lovely place, especially when the Herons and Egrets are breeding there but it does get quite dark and then it's a question of doing the best you can.
As has been said many times, better a sharp noisy image than a blurry clean one, so up the ISO as much as your equipment will cope with and have a shutter speed designed to stop the movement.
If you were working from the hide then a beanbag is a really good idea, helps stabilize the camera as well as protecting it from and rubs or scrapes. :)

Beanbag is on order (ordered it a few days ago).

For the best images you should try to capture the birds when they're not on the feeders, but feeders can still be good to practice on. Watch where they're perching before and after they come in to feed. I take it these are the feeders in the car park? Not an easy location when the sun's low in winter. Have you tried at Greylake where the feeding stations are out in the open? Now I'll stop trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about before I make a complete fool of myself.

I'm not sure if it's my phone playing up but I can't see them on flickr to view in more detail. However the first thing is to aim not to get them on feeders. Obviously it's easier to get them there, but doesn't make such a good image. Birds generally go on the surrounding branches between feeding so it's better to capture them there as they will have a natural perch.

The first shot seems to have a greenish yellowish colour cast. Have a play with the white balance as i think it's incorrect there.

With regards to the ISO and noise, unfortunately that's life. Little birds like to twitch and move about a lot and unless you're getting fast shutter speeds there's a chance the images will be slightly blurred. You did say this is handheld which could make them slightly softer, so consider a monopod or beanbag to stabilise yourself a bit. Trouble is, at the end of the day in less than ideal weather you often do end up needing to up the ISO to get the desired shutter speeds and on cameras like yours and even much more expensive ones like mine, a high ISO value will give you lots of noise. The only way around it is more expensive equipment or better weather! (Feel free to correct me if that's wrong, anybody who is reading!)

Hiya Pete, I would say the two biggest problems you had here was, the birds being on the wrong side of the feeder (on the darkside) and the actual feeders moving.

I started just like you, shooting birds on feeders, its a great way to practise. The nuthatch is a lovely bird and on the other side would have been in good light but still possibly not good enough to get the shutter speed up to where it needs to be. Is there any log like feeding stations more in the open?

I have a Nikon D7000 & 150-500 sigma, @500mm its f6.3 wide open and I try not to go any higher than 1600 ISO which can be limiting in poor light. For small birds like these, I'm looking at a min shutter speed of 1/800th because of their jittery quick movements. What I'm getting round to is, I've learn that if the light isn't there, I tend not to bother with the smaller stuff.

I've spent quite a few months last year watching LEO's and SEO's and because these hunt on open moor land the light isn't just as critical. I've also enjoyed photographing a few waders, they're a lot bigger than garden birds and I've found then easier (if that's the right word :D) to get a better image

Keep at it and most of all, enjoy the birds :)

Thanks all.

I will up the min shutter speed.

White Bal - I was playing about with it, so probably is wrong.

My aim is to get a good shot from the D3200, then I can justify an upgrade in the summer to a D7200 :)

For the best images you should try to capture the birds when they're not on the feeders, but feeders can still be good to practice on. Watch where they're perching before and after they come in to feed. I take it these are the feeders in the car park? Not an easy location when the sun's low in winter. Have you tried at Greylake where the feeding stations are out in the open? Now I'll stop trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about before I make a complete fool of myself.

Yes I much prefer Greylake but it's a bit further for me (I am in Chard).

I don't really like the feeders, but as you say it's practice more than anything.

Thanks all.

I will up the min shutter speed.

White Bal - I was playing about with it, so probably is wrong.

My aim is to get a good shot from the D3200, then I can justify an upgrade in the summer to a D7200 :)

I think others will agree with me here in saying an upgrade to your glass would benefit your birding photos better than a 7200. You could possibly get a second hand 300f4 and 1.4tc for the same price and you'd have 420mm at f5.6 rather than 270mm at 6.3. It's a fantastic combo and will give you excellent reaults.sounds like this lens although good lower down the focal range, does get soft towards the end.

I think others will agree with me here in saying an upgrade to your glass would benefit your birding photos better than a 7200. You could possibly get a second hand 300f4 and 1.4tc for the same price and you'd have 420mm at f5.6 rather than 270mm at 6.3. It's a fantastic combo and will give you excellent reaults.sounds like this lens although good lower down the focal range, does get soft towards the end.

Ive got a Sigma 150-600 C but as today was a quick wander about I didn't take it, so only had the Tamron (my do it all lens).

Would love to go get a D7200 but I have to get to a decent quality 1st, or the wife will kill me. :D

Back