switching my d700 for a canon 5d mk2

Name
scott leeson
Edit My Images
Yes
yesterday i was contemplating swapping my d700 for a 5d mk2. i DO NOT like the feel of canon cameras in general, but thought of switching as i could use the pixels for some large prints.

i took my kit to swap, but i just couldnt do it, the canon just didnt feel right in my hands, however the 24-70 2.8 felt MUCH nicer than my nikon 24-70 2.8!

im still considering it, but i think im going to have to wait for a high Mpix d700x or equivalent.

just thought id share my difficult decision with you all!

scott

yesterday i was contemplating swapping my d700 for a 5d mk2. i DO NOT like the feel of canon cameras in general, but thought of switching as i could use the pixels for some large prints.

i took my kit to swap, but i just couldnt do it, the canon just didnt feel right in my hands, however the 24-70 2.8 felt MUCH nicer than my nikon 24-70 2.8!

im still considering it, but i think im going to have to wait for a high Mpix d700x or equivalent.

scott

i feel similar thouhts Scott .... i too have the D700 etc etc ... and also have an Epson A1 printer ...

at times i feel with the D700 i don't quite get sufficient clarity and resolution that the Epson is capable off printing ...

How big do you want your prints to be?
i was asked to do some ad shots that would be blown to arounf 7ft, if not larger, and although ive been happy to blow up to a2 with a very sharp original pic i think these sizes would be well and truely out of the question unless they were being viewed from 20ft away, which they wouldnt have been :(

Yes, I'd wait to see what the D700x will be like. If it's coming.

yes, thats the point....is it going to happen?

if it doesnt soon i think nikon will be losing a lot of pro custom.

i was asked to do some ad shots that would be blown to arounf 7ft, if not larger, and although ive been happy to blow up to a2 with a very sharp original pic i think these sizes would be well and truely out of the question unless they were being viewed from 20ft away, which they wouldnt have been :(

Well I can't dispute what you say as I've never tried to print larger than A3 - but I thought that the resolution was maintained in prints up to around 4x3m 12x9ft - is that not the case?

Also - have you seen this? link It's about D700 vs. F5 but they blow prints up to huge sizes.

scott

don't do it :nono:

Well I can't dispute what you say as I've never tried to print larger than A3 - but I thought that the resolution was maintained in prints up to around 4x3m 12x9ft - is that not the case?

Also - have you seen this? link It's about D700 vs. F5 but they blow prints up to huge sizes.

He holds the camera upside down....:wacky:

The reason I sold my D700 originally was due to the low resolution / accuity which I think Nikon pretty much admitted to in the PR for the D3X really.

The Sony A900 absolutely kills it stone dead for resolution.

I'm probably holding out for the D700x. I did try the 5D MKII but didn't like it much.

Give the Sony A900 a go too, its better than the Canon 5D MKII, and WAY better than the D700 for low ISO high res. printing/

scott

DON'T DO IT :thumbsdown:
I did, :crying: 2 mths later i'm now back with Nikon D700 :)
Next year get the D700x (y)

seems a fairly strong concensus then....

i think i have to go with my hands...and the canons feel all wrong! i think im goin to stick with the d700 for now.

roll on the d700x

I think that was a bit naughty using ISO 400 - surely in a studio for that type of work you'd be using ISO 50 (not that the D700 can :crying:)!

Good to know the D700 can do massive prints (at what cost!!) the next time I want to redecorate the outside of an office block though... :LOL:

I think that was a bit naughty using ISO 400 - surely in a studio for that type of work you'd be using ISO 50 (not that the D700 can :crying:)!

Good to know the D700 can do massive prints (at what cost!!) the next time I want to redecorate the outside of an office block though... :LOL:

Yeah, bit of an eye opener for those stick in the muds who (still) claim that digital doesn't cut it though. :)

I agree. watching it now..

also just worth it for the cat suit :)

what an awesome printer too!! can't fit that in my lounge

good result, I guessed too, but I think that's down to the tonal qualities of nikon digitals.

furthermore, this is a little weird as a test, not bad for real life but there is a digital conversion process from the film to the printer. but the same could be said for any printing/magazine requirement. but they never mention it in the review

Buy the Canon and sell me your 24-70 :)

There you go, thats impartial advice! :D

Whereabouts in Devon are you?
How long do you need a 5DMKII for?
What focal lengths do you need for the shoot?

Yeah, bit of an eye opener for those stick in the muds who (still) claim that digital doesn't cut it though. :)

Although I partially agree with you here.
The original thread on this video had a lot of discussion about the fact that they converted the film shot, into a digital image, in order to print it.
Making a double conversion/processing of the image, isn't really fair.

Back