Taekwondo Competition and Olympic Bronze Medallist

Name
STEVE WINN
Edit My Images
Yes
Took these in a 'small sports' hall. Lighting fluctuated. After test shots -set my ISO at between 1600-3200. No flash. Using Nikon VR 70-200 F2.8(thanks Diego Garcia;)). This looked the best option on my D200 LCD screen!

Back on my computer I was not soo sure - way too noisy etc.
CC needed!

tkd6croponly-1.jpg

tkp1croponly.jpg

tkd2nopp.jpg

tkd4.jpg

tkd5croponly.jpg

6. Sarah Stevenson
tkdsarahstevenson-1.jpg

Last edited:
Flash would have helped a lot I feel. They are just too dark, and I feel, a little out of focus.

Well done, thats probably as good as you can get on that set up, try running some noise reduction if you haven't already. Flash would be useful, but often not allowed in these circumstances due to the fact it could dazzle someone just as a kick comes in and prevents them defending, etc, etc, blah blah...

Flash would have helped a lot I feel. They are just too dark, and I feel, a little out of focus.

I know you're right but it would have been a distraction for the competitors and I had hoped that the shots would have turned out better, given the iso and wide aperture - bummer :crying:

Last edited:
Couldn't help noticing the chap yawning in #4 :D

Better luck next time.

Steve - I feel an upgrade to a D300 or D700 coming along.....?

Couldn't help noticing the chap yawning in #4 :D

Better luck next time.

No yawn. That was a good fight. His club member was on the receiving end of that kick, which if memory serves scored the other guy two points and caused to the coach to throw in the towel.:)

Here is Sarah after she was presented with an award from the local Koryo Taekwondo club for her dedication to the sport.

sarahaward.jpg

with her award :clap::clap:

sarahstevensonpresentation.jpg

This series is a perfect example of why ultra fast Lenses are required for badly lit venue's

a commendable effort but sadly the pics are poor

cheers Chris

Can't really disagree.:crying: What kind of lens were you thinking of. I hoped my VR 2.8 would have been fine. I was thinking it was my D200 and its limited ISO handling?

F2.8 is Ok for static indoor shots but with moving action shots in lighting like you got here just does not cut the mustard - the fastest Lens you can afford

no idea what Nikon lenses are available as I use Canon

you want to be getting a lens with at least F1.8 for that type of lighting or even F1.4 or F1.2 should you have the funds to buy one
its all down to how much low light shooting you intend doing and how much cash your prepared to throw at it

for the static of the girl I would of just said 'hope you dont mind a little flash' and flutter your eyes at her LOL at least you would of got some half decent results
as it is not while the action is taking place so I cant imagine them being to upset at a little bit of flash
cheers Chris

F2.8 is Ok for static indoor shots but with moving action shots in lighting like you got here just does not cut the mustard - the fastest Lens you can afford

I can't see how this could be the lens, the Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VR is one of the best around, and often referred to as Nikons finest, may be due to bad ISO on the D200 though, just out of interest did you have the VR switched on, as this would have been a disadvantage in this case.

I can't see how this could be the lens, the Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VR is one of the best around, and often referred to as Nikons finest, may be due to bad ISO on the D200 though, just out of interest did you have the VR switched on, as this would have been a disadvantage in this case.

Ah,:bang:
yes i did have vr turned on, but not in normal mode. I am in no doubt it is either me or the camera and not the lens. I hd evrything on manual after various test shots prior to the fights.
The images appeared very clean in the lcd screen on the back of the camera but did not cut the mustard on the PC albeit shot in raw and un manipulated prior to posting. I did not think of switching the VR off:bonk:, but camera was hand held with no monopod.

Thanks for that post though. Shot another set in jpeg last week at a grading competition. again with VR on though and I was this close to buying a D700 on monday:help:

Ah,:bang:
yes i did have vr turned on, but not in normal mode. I am in no doubt it is either me or the camera and not the lens. I hd evrything on manual after various test shots prior to the fights.
The images appeared very clean in the lcd screen on the back of the camera but did not cut the mustard on the PC albeit shot in raw and un manipulated prior to posting. I did not think of switching the VR off:bonk:, but camera was hand held with no monopod.

Thanks for that post though. Shot another set in jpeg last week at a grading competition. again with VR on though and I was this close to buying a D700 on monday:help:

I made the same mistake with my 70-300mm VR photographing moving objects with VR on, when i sussed it out and switched if of it made a hell of a difference :)

TG... the lens you mention is a fine lens but F2.8 with VR or no VR or IS or whatever is not in my opinion a lens for very poor lighting situations
F1.2 F1.4 F1.8 are the first lenses I would be using for such events...

the IS and VR Lenses help for static type subjects but in the situations where pictures are critical - getting the fastest Lens available is the order of the day for ensuring at least getting some usable pictures
cheers Chris

Back