Taking money out of the equation d750 or d810

Edit My Images
No
And your reasoning ?

I have a nikon crop and thinking of going full frame it's a long term buy and I can't be swopping bodies every few years. So a few hundred pounds here or there in the grand scheme of things is not relevant

My photogrsphy is everything really which I need one body to do. In this order wildlife (birds and insects) landscapes and airshows with the odd wedding or portrait

After years waiting for the perfect body to come out these two seem as good as it's going to get other than small increments reason for the post is obviously the d810 us the more expensive but the d750 has advantages not least the smaller file size which might be more practical for day to day use. On the other hand the crop potential on 36mp is handy for the wildlife / airshows
So confused
Thanks for your thoughts / help

For your uses I'd say the D810 would be the best bet. Many resolution and DR for your landscapes, plenty for cropping out empty space for wildlife and planes. The D750 is great, feels fantastic in the hand and the AF and low light go well together, but you'll not have the same options for larger cropping that you'll get from that D810.

If money really is no object then its easily the D810 for me.

In this order wildlife (birds and insects) landscapes and airshows

D810

Landscape = quality

Birds and airshows = ability to crop more from the higher res image.

Another vote for the 8*0.

Well to mix things up. Try a d700.
Yes, older tech etc. but currently s/h bodies for not much more than £500.
But to answer your question is really hard. I'm in a similar position. And I'd have to be honest and think why I really want either body for. And that's why, for me, it would be a D750.

The D810 is a great all round general purpose workhorse with superb quality ideally suited to landscape work and studio and also forensic work because of the quality. It's base ISO of 64 for landscapes is a bonus and the eyepiece shutter is useful for long exposures. It's fast AF is one of its best features as is extremely quiet shutter. The ability to make some very big crops without compromising on quality make it ideal for wildlife if your lens is just out of reach. Aircraft (> 1/8000s ) and weddings are not an issue but you could find your self eating megabytes of data, as long as you have plenty of storage it's not an issue., lets face it you can buy 2TB drives for about £60 now. I personally think this is Nikon's best camera DSLR to date for flexibility there is nothing it can't cope with. I also have a D750 as a back up which is also a very good camera. If I had the option of only buying one camera it would be the D810 it's a brilliant all-rounder !

If you want to go below 28mm the D810 is the way to go ..the more information you cram in the more pixels you need ..

D750 for me

All but the BIG poster boys don't need 36mp (or even 24mp really for that matter), but it'll work up to a stop slower without showing up camera shake as much. Tilt screen with help with those low down shots without needing to get wet lying on the floor too, and obviously better for overhead funky shots at Weddings too. Several of my pals are selling gear ranging from D700, D3, D3s and even D800 to buy the 750. If you still really need more reach on your lenses, buy a convertor with the saving :)

Dave

DXO's side by side results...

Nikon-D750-vs-D810-vs-D610-DxOMark-test.png

Would like to see the charts above 3000 ISO as a comparison, don't think they are there yet?

I faced the same dilemna although I should add I'm not really a photographer, more a photo taker if that makes sense, i.e. someone who doesn't (yet) have much technical skill but one who likes family photos to be good quality.

Anyway it was image size which sold me on the D750 which was an upgrade from a D300. I tried playing with images from the D750 and the D810 in Photoshop but the larger files were killing my laptop. Since a new laptop as well wouldn't have got past "The Management" I plumped for the 750. The main thing I do notice is the shutter is noticeably louder but for my abilities the 750 is fine.

Hope that's of some use. Dom.

D810 is an awesome camera, as I'm sure the D750 is, but ergonomics play a big part in the camera's I choose. I imagine the D750 is a similar size to the D610 (which I had), great camera but not one I'd want to be shooting with all day, bit small in the hand and not a fan of grips.

I've been shooting with D810's for 3 months and 20 or so weddings I can confidently say that my keeper ratio has increased and the number of over shots I'm taking during the day decreased (shooting with a pair of d3s's), partly I believe due to not having to re-shoot the same image due to focus/sharpness issues. AF fine tuning seems to have made a HUGE difference, more so than any other camera by far.

Dave's 'poster boy' comment earlier made me chuckle, while I agree I don't need 36mp, I can't ever see me wanting to go back to anything less than 24mp. Storage hasn't been an issue, external USB 3.0 drives and HD's in general are so cheap these days, no problems with PP either on a 2011 iMac with 16gb RAM.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to hear your thought on the standard grip on the D750 Phil, it's much deeper than the D610 so you might find it OK. The camera feels much more at home in my hand than my D7100 ever did.

In this order wildlife (birds and insects) landscapes and airshows with the odd wedding or portrait
Tough call really... IMHO, the main differentiators for your uses are going to be 6.5 fps vs 5fps (D750 win) or the quiet shutter of the D810 (weddings/wildlife).

The other factors are all pretty equal IMO (assuming 24MP is more than big enough).

**You can get the D810 to 6fps, or even 7fps with battery grip and crop modes. But if you do that the D750 IQ will trounce the cropped D810.

D810 - I prefer the chunkier bodies for dslr. Just personal preference, the output on either would please most people I'm sure.

I have a D800E, so don't really see any need to change for now. And if you go by DXOmark, there's naff all difference really between it and the D810.

Last edited:
I was going to say D750. I (strangely) feel that this is Nikon's "best" FF camera. However, looking at your shooting requirements, I'm half tempted to say the D810.

If money really isn't an issue, I'd jump straight to the D810...and hire it just to see. I think the £100 odd quid it'll cost to hire would be worth it as I'd guess you'd have it for a long time. It'll cost you more to get it wrong. I personally don't think you'll go wrong either way, but I'd put money on you ending up with the D810.

If it's any consolation, I agonised over a new Df v new D610 v very well used D3 for months!! The D3, which I went for eventually was only fractionally cheaper than a D610 but that didn't enter the equation for me. I feel I bought the best all round camera for ME.

Hmmm...clear as mud!!! Good luck!!!

Back