Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 or Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8...?

From a Sigma 18-50 2.8 EX DC review

Optical quality
This is where this lens really proves its worth!
It's outstanding and the sharpest lens I have tested to date, which includes some top glass from leading camera manufacturers.
Chromatic aberration is very well controlled, although at the wide-open aperture of f/2.8 there is some evidence in the corners of the pictures. This disappears as soon as the lens is stopped down by half a stop.

i just tested the tamron, absolutely spot on! its not as loud as i thought it would be. its quieter than the nifty fifty and much better built. well pleased with it.

i agree its not really louder than an 50mm afd 1.8. I have the japanese made one and its solid. theres no play in the barrel everything feels solid and well put together. And of course, its sharper than a sharp thing. :)

i just tested the tamron, absolutely spot on! its not as loud as i thought it would be. its quieter than the nifty fifty and much better built. well pleased with it.

mmmm, I'm thinking the china & japan ones have different focus motors, as some people find them OK/livable not really a problem, whilst others like mine is like a Makita drill thats been used in the oilsands for more than a day!

i think I got lucky as i ended up with the japanese made one. But i do think i should have asked before buying! I didnt find any lens creep or loosening at all.

Just as a side note - I've ended up getting hold of a Nikkor 18-70 at a good price... :LOL:

Ah well, thanks for all your help (as usual)

Ive got the Tamron , i get fantastic sharp results , build quality is very good and focusing is fast and smooth

Has anyone here tried both the 17-50mm Tamron and the (full frame) 28-75mm Tamron :shrug:?

I ask because the 28-75mm (on my D700) is one superbly sharp lens and I wondered if the 17-50mm might be equally good, on my D40. The motor noise doesn't bother me - as a D40 owner, I'm just pleased that it's got one :p!

I'm really missing that shallow DOF that you can get at f/2.8 and my Nikon 'nifty 50' won't AF :(. If I can find the Tamron for just a couple of hundred quid, I might upgrade from the (generally OK) 18-55mm kit lens :).

Back