Tamron 18-200mm for £129

Hmmm, looks quite slow for a 200mm (f6.3 at the top end)?

Im looking for a walkabout lens and i think this fits the bill. Especially at that price.

The advantages of these hyperzooms is convenience. Like everything it will be a compromised design, in this case you get convenience of a wide range against the drawbacks of probably image distortion at both ends of the zoom range and a comparatively slow aperture.

I have a 28-300 which most of the time lives on my 2nd body - which when I don't need it is used by my wife. Its fine for what she wants, although she can see the difference when she uses my 24-105L instead.

I took my 28-300 motor racing once and I have to say it did OK, better than I was expecting! It was a nice sunny day which helped. My wife has had pictures published using it as well.

Its probably adequate for a walkabout, though reviews arnt that positive on IQ, and looking at some of the test shots in the below article I'd have to agree;

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Tamron-Di-II-AF-18200mm-f353-XR-LD-Aspherical-IF-Macro-4547

...and you're only saving £20. I honestly think you'd be better off with a Sigma 18-125 but they are about £80 more. However, the extra £80 is worth it in the long run due to the MUCH better IQ. If you're gonna keep it for a while, you're definately better off spending the extra I think.

My budget was around £150, would the Sigma 18-200mm at around £155 be a better choice? (the no OS version)

I've not seen the Sigma 18-200 less than £200 (non IS/OS, and the IS/OS version even more).

Its slightly better than the Tamron above but I'd still hold out for the 18-125 OS over this, for one, its not much more expensive, and more importantly its less of an IQ compromise. With lenses, its much better saving a bit longer for quality rather than buying a lens because its cheap!!

^ a good price! You're not really saving £170 on it though, as they actually only retail for just over £200 so its slightly misleading. It is a good price though and if you dont want to spend too much that would be a good option.

Thats the Tamrons equivalent i think id prefer the Sigma.

Back