Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 V tamron 24-70 f/2.8 vc

Edit My Images
Yes
i own a 28-75 f/2.8 do you know if the IQ and the sharpness of the 24-70 f/2.8 is any better? or any more comments on these two lens please

Do you shoot crop or full frame? On a crop they are much of a much ness as both hit the sweet spot advantage. If your on full frame and like to shoot wide open the vc model is a big improvement. Add in the much better af motor and the extra 4mm width and I'd take the vc version.

i own a 28-75 f/2.8 do you know if the IQ and the sharpness of the 24-70 f/2.8 is any better? or any more comments on these two lens please
Ive owned both Tamrons and the Nikon 24-70mm, neither of the 24-70mm lenses were worth the money compared to the 28-75mm so they got sold

Do you shoot crop or full frame? On a crop they are much of a much ness as both hit the sweet spot advantage. If your on full frame and like to shoot wide open the vc model is a big improvement. Add in the much better af motor and the extra 4mm width and I'd take the vc version.
Thanks I'm on ff

Personally I found the Tamron 28-75 to be noticeably softer at 2.8 than the Nikon. Above that there really was nothing in it without pixel peeping. Never used the Tamron 24-70 but I've heard very good things about it.

So I guess it comes down to how much you need the ability to shoot sharp at 2.8 and build quality. I actually regret selling my 28-75. It made the perfect walkabout family lens.

I've not used the 28-75 but it does get rave reviews on here especially considering its price, I do have the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, having sold one a month ago I missed it and decided I was willing to trade a bit of weight for image quality, I used my previous one for about 90% of my shots last year and loved it, I suspect its replacement will again be on my D800 the vast majority of the time, great IQ, the VC is excellent and I find the build to be very good (certainly better than similarly priced Nikon lenses like the 16-35 f4 VR) although I've never used the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 which I'm sure is a bit better (and dearer!)

The 28-75 vs 24-70 ... Fill the same space but cater to it diferently.

I have had 2 28-75 lenses and have the 24-70 ( Tamron ).
I actually still have one 28-75 as a backup ( it got dropped and the edge of the frame chipped off, although it still works perfectly even after it had 2 KG's with of camer and equipment behind it on the fall )

The Tamron 24-70 is much heavier and a lot bigger
The Tamron 28-75 is thus light and compact.

Image Quality:
I did loads of test, and then a whole lot more and the 24-70 had a definate clarity and better image quality over the 28-75, however this is only when I start to really start to zoom in on the photos in Lightroom or Photoshop/Gimp or whatever you use to edit.
Tamron 24-70 (4/5)
Tamron 28-75 (3/5)

Build Quality :
The 24-70 is a solid piece of equipment and you it really feels like it belongs on a high end camera. ( 5/5 )
The 28-75 feels like its a good quality, but can develop a little give and have a rattle or 2 when shaking. (3/5)

Low light :
The 28-75 struggles a little more than the 24-70 with this although no lens is perfect and lower the light, the lest the contrast the more then lens will struggle.
Tamron 24-70 (4/5)
Tamron 28-75 (3/5)

Value for Money :
The 2 lenses are both excellent value especially when compared anything else in the range. The 28-75 may not be the top tier , but the price really makes up for it since you can easily buy 2 of them and still have change for lunch when compared to the 24-70mm
Tamron 24-70 (4/5)
Tamron 28-75 (5/5)

PS: I consider the 24-70 to a sharper lens with overall better images quality.

This is all my opinion and may vary due to wind conditions, the tides and whether or not I left the seat up.

Last edited:
Never tried the 28-75 but I am well pleased with the 24-70 VC on my Canon 6D. Focus is fast and accurate, build quality is good and the VC works as well as any Canon/Nikon stabilised lenses I have tried. Wide open the images are extremely sharp in the centre and distortion plus vignetting is well controlled. For the money not much can touch it.

Cheers that's thrown the cat in the pigeons

Bare in mind size and value are also issues for a lot of people. The Tamron is less a lens that's been "surpassed" and more a lens that offers something different to the newer 24-70mm's.

Not used the 28-75mm but looking at most reviews them seem to agree that the real advantage of the 24-70mm in terms of sharpness is at the wide end, at 70/75mm there doesn't seem to be a massive amount between them but the lower you go the better the 24-70mm is across the frame wide open and in the boarders stopped down.

Then of course you have the difference in range and stabilisation.

Bare in mind size and value are also issues for a lot of people. The Tamron is less a lens that's been "surpassed" and more a lens that offers something different to the newer 24-70mm's.
This is a really good way of looking at it I replaced my 28-75mm tamron with the canon 24-105mm f4l for general walk about use as the extra width and length the canon offers appealed to my shooting style. I do however quite often consider getting another tamron it was so light and versatile and offered great performance for the money! I've considered all the 24-70mm f2.8 zooms and the sheer size and cost puts me off!

If tamron could add there new AF motor to the 28-75mm without to much cost/size increase I'd have one!

Last edited:
This is a really good way of looking at it I replaced my 28-75mm tamron with the canon 24-105mm f4l for general walk about use as the extra width and length the canon offers appealed to my shooting style. I do however quite often consider getting another tamron it was so light and versatile and offered great performance for the money! I've considered all the 24-70mm f2.8 zooms and the sheer size and cost puts me off!

If tamron could add there new AF motor to the 28-75mm without to much cost/size increase I'd have one!

I can especially see the draw for using it with something like the 6D, your talking 300g difference to the 24-70mm VC.

I am considering 28-75 for my 6D as I am looking to shrink my lens numbers and costs. It's really appealing to me because the relatively compact size, fast aperture, good price, long warranty and reports of fair IQ. I am just wondering about the auto-focus. I know it won't be up to USM type of motors, but is it good enough for general usage?

Back