Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD

I tried with a kenko 2x and it didn't work... everyone on the net seems to have the same issue...

Maybe your combination is different to what I've been reading but I wasn't successful, haven't seen much of others success and tamron advise against the TCs so definitely is hit and miss with this one I guess...
Buddy of mine has the Tamron VC phil and between us it will AF on all our bodies with a 2x and 1.4x TC we have D800, D700, D3S, D7100 and D300 between us and not a single AF issue

I think my new lens is hitching a lift up the A9 as it hasn't even reached Inverness yet :rolleyes:

Parcelforce express 24 takes two days for Scottish highlands and islands yet RMSD can manage it in one day.

So parcel force 24 takes 48 :rolleyes:

Yes exactly, and 48 takes 72 :p

Its just reached Inverness so should arrive tomorrow, I'll be able to try it out at the weekend at least.

re converters it would appear to be a bit hit and miss sometimes..........I had a sigma 1.4 which worked fine with my sigma lens, then changed for the Canon 300f4 then I hit problems sometimes the combo worked fine and other times no chance.
Somebody I know who tests photographic equipment tried it and had same problems, he rang the tech guy at Canon who said "unlucky line 100 sigma converters and 1 will not work and thats the one you got" well that is my luck, changed for Canon one and all is ok.

I think my new lens is hitching a lift up the A9 as it hasn't even reached Inverness yet :rolleyes:

Parcelforce express 24 takes two days for Scottish highlands and islands yet RMSD can manage it in one day.

You'd have been as quick having it stop off in Lanarkshire with me. I could have gave it a quick test out then sent it on to you by RMSD. ;)

It's here! I had a quick play with it on a manfrotto 560B monopod (it has three small feet and a fluid cartridge on the base), it seems to be a good combo for me.
I'll post some shots up later.

Any one have any experience of what this lens is likely to sell for as a grey from HDEW or PANAMOZ at all?
Looking at other lenses that are around £1000 is seems to look like it maybe around £650-£700 (unless that it just for lenses that have been around for a while).

Here are a few sample shots from this morning. The first three are handheld @ 600mm and shot through my window, resized and sharpened for web.
The dog shot is outdoors on monopod @309mm, also web sharpened. All at iso800 and wide open.

14597597713_35cb5ddc19_o.jpg

14574143831_a66b1745ee_o.jpg

14576718742_13fd4af548_o.jpg

14597603383_92c5358c6a_o.jpg

I was worried it would be too cumbersome for me as I'm only 5' 0" but its actually not that heavy. I can do some handheld stuff but will be glad of the monopod for longer shooting sessions.
I have a bit of learning to do with regards to technique as I'm a landscape photographer, but so far I'm pleased with my purchase. I think its acceptably sharp sooc and with a bit of pp sharpening it can produce good shots. I wanted something with more reach than my 70-300L+extender but without loss of quality/detail.
It most definitely achieves that.

The Bedlington looks sharp but at 300mm+ and with sharpening.
What do you find necessary for sharp images at the long end Marie, most I've seen are at f10 and above - I've discounted your images through the glass.

I have both the 400/5.6 and 150-600 - done some test in the garden the other day on a 5D3 shooting the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc (560mm) and the Tammy at around 560mm (both on a tripod). Both at between f8 - f11. I have to say that as far as fine feather detail goes the Tammy was just not up to the Canon combo, sharp enough but just does not render the fine detail as well IMHO. Obviously the Tammy is more versatile but for pure IQ at the long end I am preferring the Canon combo although I have not given up on the Tammy that's for sure.

P.S. Tried the Tammy with my 'ancient' 40D yesterday - the AF was fine but IQ and sharpness was 'lightyears' away from the 5D3.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of reasonable shots from the Tammy on a 40D - overall I was not that impressed with the combo although a few shots were not bad. Please click on image for the processed size

#1 600mm shot from upstairs through a double glazed window
960mmfovthrowindow_zpsbea0d1d3.jpg

#2 a tight crop at 500mm
black1500mm_zpsaea2c813.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a couple of reasonable shots from the Tammy on a 40D - overall I was not that impressed with the combo although a few shots were not bad. Please click on image for the processed size

#1 600mm shot from upstairs through a double glazed window
960mmfovthrowindow_zpsbea0d1d3.jpg

#2 a tight crop at 500mm
black1500mm_zpsaea2c813.jpg

Think that sums it up in some ways,i would be moving up from a sigma 120-400 with no chance of ever buying a Nikon 400mm and 1.4tc so i would be delighted with that gold finch,if i could run to the Nikon then that would be a different story.

I have both the 400/5.6 and 150-600 - done some test in the garden the other day on a 5D3 shooting the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc (560mm) and the Tammy at around 560mm (both on a tripod). Both at between f8 - f11. I have to say that as far as fine feather detail goes the Tammy was just not up to the Canon combo, sharp enough but just does not render the fine detail as well IMHO. Obviously the Tammy is more versatile but for pure IQ at the long end I am preferring the Canon combo although I have not given up on the Tammy that's for sure.

P.S. Tried the Tammy with my 'ancient' 40D yesterday - the AF was fine but IQ and sharpness was 'lightyears' away from the 5D3.

Roy, be interested in a rough effective focal length comparison between the 400L and 150-600 at close distance. Eg, if the subject fills the frame at 4m with the 400, then the 150-600 at 600mm should deliver exactly the same framing at 6m. With the Tamron's focus breathing, I'd guess they might match up with the Tamron at nearer 5m, but it would be nice to know :)

Roy, be interested in a rough effective focal length comparison between the 400L and 150-600 at close distance. Eg, if the subject fills the frame at 4m with the 400, then the 150-600 at 600mm should deliver exactly the same framing at 6m. With the Tamron's focus breathing, I'd guess they might match up with the Tamron at nearer 5m, but it would be nice to know :)
I was shooting garden birds from around 7 mtrs the other day and the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc (560mm) looked about the same size as the Tammy at 600mm - obviously some focus breathing but not as bad as some of the Sigma's from what I can tell.

I was shooting garden birds from around 7 mtrs the other day and the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc (560mm) looked about the same size as the Tammy at 600mm - obviously some focus breathing but not as bad as some of the Sigma's from what I can tell.

Cheers :)

I got some nicely detailed shots with the Tammy this evening - all at 600mm (on 5D3). These are the first three I have processed. Only common garden birds but very pleased with the detail - good light makes all the difference! Please click on image to view the processed size

gold1at600mm1200_zps58ca09a2.jpg

spadge1at600mm1200_zpsa0009eb6.jpg

gold2at600mm_zpsbf42301e.jpg

Last edited:
Now now Roy stop or might consider changing myself :mad: looking good but you are right light does make a big difference

Just bought my new shiny toy..... £854.10 so really pleased with the price I paid for a UK stock lens with 5 year warranty.
I'm guessing grey imports will be around £700-£750 so I think it's worth the possible £100-£150 extra to get the extended Tamron UK warranty on it.
Hopefully it'll be here on Wednesday so really looking forward to it.

Just bought my new shiny toy..... £854.10 so really pleased with the price I paid for a UK stock lens with 5 year warranty.
I'm guessing grey imports will be around £700-£750 so I think it's worth the possible £100-£150 extra to get the extended Tamron UK warranty on it.
Hopefully it'll be here on Wednesday so really looking forward to it.
Interesting, who has it at that price then?

I visited highland wildlife park yesterday to try out the lens, took about 600 shots so I'm still sifting through them. The light was generally very good with mainly sunshine. Some of the shots I'm disappointed with but I think its down to user error as I'm new to back button focusing, heavy zoom lens, using a monopod etc.
Below is an unprocessed owl shot, this was in the wooded area so light wasn't brilliant. What do you guys think re. feather detail etc?

100% crop raw image saved as jpeg, no sharpening. 600mm, F6.3, iso1000, 1/250 on monopod, focussed on eye area.

14435179327_44de9afc23_o.jpg

I fancy giving this a try. I live next to a RSPB reserve with some good birds all year round. Gives me a good range on my D7100.

Polar bears at Highland WP shot with the tamron wide open 600mm, iso 1250, 1/2000 sec.
Shot in high speed continuous mode on a monopod from a viewpoint with glass partition.

14532376978_b092de68d6_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back