Tamron SP 17-50 2.8 VS nikon 18-55 2.8

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi does anyone have any experience of theses two lens's. I currently have the tamron on my D90 but thinking about changing it for the Nikon lens.

Thanks in advance

Adrian .....

Quick answer is don't bother. The tamron is as sharp as Nikon and has very controllable distortion. The IQ is of very high standard also. Nikon will have advantages such as af-s motor, and better IQ and flare control. All of which amounts to very little in real world photography.

Nikon being almost 3-4 times more expensive than tamron and also the same margin for weight makes the tamron superior in every way other than the fact that you have gold letter saying tamron instead of Nikon.

You'd be better off spending the three to four hundred pounds it would cost to upgrade on something that will make a more tangible difference to your photos - different lens (85 f1.8, nikkor 70-300 afs) or lighting (speedlight/studio head) or even a photographic trip away.

The nikon is better built, a pro quality lens, but I never saw enough of a difference to warrant the upgrade.

S

I've had both. The Nikon never missed focus and never hunted, the Tamron sometimes did, the Nikon af'd instantly too, the Tamron was still fast but not as fast. If that isn't important then no real need to change.

Why? Does anything bother you with the Tamron, other than that badge that says Tamron instead of Nikon?

Thanks for all the advice looks like I'm staying put so to speak , I have no issues with the Tamron it was a great improvement from the kit lens.

I loved my Tamron until it was stolen. Mine was a very sharp copy.

Extra 5mm at the long end, ever so slightly better optics, slightly better AF, better build.
Much heavier and larger, twice the price.

I personally couldn't justify the extra cost and love my Tamron.

The AF is much better with the Nikon (and I had a good sample of both). The optics are good on both, but the build is miles better with the Nikon - however, that also comes with a huge increase in weight and size.

Back