Tesco, Asda and other cheap processing thread.

***Ok here's my first lot from Photo Express and these are off the disc they supplied not scanned in myself***

Looking good...what do you see when enlarging blue sky, uniform grain? it's a tough test and maybe unfair, but Tesco doesn't usually pass with tiny white and black spots and a scratch here and there.

I get my first set back today and will post some examples, but looking CP,s photo,s they look good and of course my shot quality will not be up to CP,s standard.:)(y)

My local tesco has removed their processing service and are apparently replacing it with a Tesco mobile store. Just a warning ,as this may be a national roll-out.

They have just done that to our local Tesco's so looks like the film processing may be dissapearing:(

Well I received today my first batch of work from Photo Express Hull after posting to them on Tuesday received today, very impressed with the service and quality, see a couple of examples re sized for posting and cropped for pleasure:).

56280027HastingsB.jpg

56280019HastingsA.jpg

Well I received today my first batch of work from Photo Express Hull after posting to them on Tuesday received today, very impressed with the service and quality, see a couple of examples re sized for posting and cropped for pleasure:).

Photo express (y) were these pics from a CD?

Now if we can get a few of the people who have posted shots in the thread "show us your film shots" to use em ;)

Now if we can get a few of the people who have posted shots in the thread "show us your film shots" to use em ;)

Yes I had the film developed and scanned to CD only, these pic,s are taken straight of the CD and re sized.(y).

Yes I had the film developed and scanned to CD only, these pic,s are taken straight of the CD and re sized.(y).

Forgot to ask.....what was the appx average picture size (in Kb or MB) on the CD?

e.g. My Tesco is about 800kb to 1.3mb jpg which would be about a 4mp picture.

Home 35mm scanning..a 20mb jpg file is about 20mp

Forgot to ask.....what was the appx average picture size (in Kb or MB) on the CD?

e.g. My Tesco is about 800kb to 1.3mb jpg which would be about a 4mp picture.

Home 35mm scanning..a 20mb jpg file is about 20mp

Average file size jpg is 3.3mb scanned from a approx 17mb open file.

3024X2005(y)

Well - those shots look okay, I have to say, and I think it's great that they've come in and offered a TP deal for people (y) For my own part, I have the kit to develop my own B&W and Colour, and a decent scanner, so I'll not be using them myself, but if I see a few more decent examples of shots, then I'll happily point people there way to try.

Well - those shots look okay, I have to say, and I think it's great that they've come in and offered a TP deal for people (y) For my own part, I have the kit to develop my own B&W and Colour, and a decent scanner, so I'll not be using them myself, but if I see a few more decent examples of shots, then I'll happily point people there way to try.

I'm building up my 120 film shots to send to these people to try out as dev is only £2.50 but :eek:

http://www.snapsphotoservices.com/page_2170585.html

Sending one roll is expensive as post there is about £1.30 + development £2.50 + they now only do recorded del back which is £2...so for one film dev only is a whopping £5.80 :eek:

I'm building up my 120 film shots to send to these people to try out as dev is only £2.50 but :eek:

http://www.snapsphotoservices.com/page_2170585.html

Sending one roll is expensive as post there is about £1.30 + development £2.50 + they now only do recorded del back which is £2...so for one film dev only is a whopping £5.80 :eek:

Peak Imaging is slightly cheaper, for one 120 roll, £3.75 dev + £1.47 (postage price for single dev only, £2.95 for 2 or more) + FREEPOST adress = £5.22. E6 is the same price as well whilst that place charges £5.00 for one 120 roll!:thumbsdown:

Peak Imaging is slightly cheaper, for one 120 roll, £3.75 dev + £1.47 (postage price for single dev only, £2.95 for 2 or more) + FREEPOST adress = £5.22. E6 is the same price as well whilst that place charges £5.00 for one 120 roll!:thumbsdown:

Well I'm only interested in colour neg development, and did send two 120 rolls off about 6 months ago but they sent them back because they had a flood (burst pipe).
All I want is a place convenient distance from where I live (near London), where I can stop and not get a parking ticket and will develope 120 negs for £2.50....:shake: :shrug: :bang:

...All I want is a place convenient distance from where I live (near London), where I can stop and not get a parking ticket and will develope 120 negs for £2.50....:shake: :shrug: :bang:

How about one of these while you're at it :LOL:

20090130-moonstick.jpg

Well asked the girl in Tesco about the situation re-film and it looks like Tesco are switching from wet to dry process (I think process was the word used), if they continue with film it would be sent out erm and I suppose rip off price for same day processing.
So I'll offer them £1 for their film machine that they aint gonna use any more and of course I want free delivery.

Well asked the girl in Tesco about the situation re-film and it looks like Tesco are switching from wet to dry process (I think process was the word used), if they continue with film it would be sent out erm and I suppose rip off price for same day processing.
So I'll offer them £1 for their film machine that they aint gonna use any more and of course I want free delivery.

Don't forget the stock of chemicals as well :LOL:

Doesn't the minilab machine have an automagic gizmo that does that?

Dunno, the machine might grab the cassette and shell it like a prawn, but I'm after a thingie for about £2 inc post, but I'll have to turn up my hearing aid to hear the film click before using it correctly.

Hi,
Many thanks to the two posters who have used our service for their positive comments.
In regard to Tesco, they are pulling out of all wet processing and just having instant print kiosks. It will obviously save them space and money, especially as they have just about used D&P as a loss leader for many years.
If any posters have any questions regarding the developing and printing industry I am happy to offer any thoughts or insights.

Nigel Edwards
Photo Express

Hello Nigel!

On the back of the earlier poster's positive outcomes I've just committed my latest two rolls to the post to Photo-Express for dev and scanning.

Factoring in time/diesel PE works out *much* cheaper for me.

-Rob

...and I suppose Tesco won't miss my £60 I spend there why the negs are being developed....what's the world coming too, you can't get Cadbury's roasted almonds in plain chocolate, House of Bewlay with umpteen varieties of tobacco gone and now Tesco film services for the peasants going.

...and I suppose Tesco won't miss my £60 I spend there why the negs are being developed....what's the world coming too, you can't get Cadbury's roasted almonds in plain chocolate, House of Bewlay with umpteen varieties of tobacco gone and now Tesco film services for the peasants going.

you can get everything of that in Iphone 4 !!!! :LOL:

Is there anywhere that does cheap develop&scan of E6 slide film?
7ds have got some expired Fuji Sensia II 400 going cheap, but I'm put off by the cost of processing (and I've never tried slide film before so will probably mess up a few rolls!)

We don't do E6 but we can do cross processing for the same price as C41. It's a very popular service at the moment and gives very varied results with different makes of film.

Nigel Edwards
Photo Express

swan.jpg

So, 4pm Monday I sent off a couple of C41 B&W films to Photo-Express.
Somewhat bleary eyed the following morning 9.28am, Photo-Express ring to say they've completed my dev 'n' scan order and can hey have my payment details? 10.30 Wednesday morning CD and negs arrive.

Just been through the CD... No blotches, no scratches.... and the whole process is pretty much faultless - pic above is straight off the CD untweaked apart from a resize - 3024x2005 natural resolution btw.

To say I'm REALLY, REALLY PLEASED with the job Photo-Express have done is a very mild understatement! They are getting the rest of my dev jobs, I certainly can't process C41 anywhere near the quality that they have managed (my std b&w proc is pretty cackhanded as well..).

Btw, btw, eight quid for the two film dev'd and scanned to CD and returned to me - usual price nine quid minus 50p per film TP discount.

-Rob

ps Did I mention that I'm pleased with the job Photo-Express have done? :LOL:

Last edited:
We don't do E6 but we can do cross processing for the same price as C41. It's a very popular service at the moment and gives very varied results with different makes of film.

Nigel Edwards
Photo Express

Err.... Nigel?

I forgot to ask on the phone...

Do you dev 120 film at all?

-Rob

Hi Robert,
Sorry, no. We have never got involved with 120 although I did look into buying a 120 scanner for our Noritsu equipment earlier this year. At 15k I decided against!
Many thanks for taking the trouble to call and for your kind comments.

Nigel Edwards

Well, three more rolls of 35mm and another excellent job by Photo Express, Hull.

I still reckon that at the TP discount rate of Dev and Scan at 4 quid a roll, plus 1.50 ish for the envelope and outgoing postage, it's way cheaper than driving over to ASDA or Boots to get my films processed locally.

-Rob

Back