Tesla Model S

I'me certainly no expert but to me there are to many harsh shadows in all but one, the car fits the location well thou

Nice set and nice car :)
Number 1 works best for me. The tighter crop works with the light that you had I think. There are quite a few reflections which a polarising filter might have reduced. I'm not so sure about the wide angle ones as the car's length looks a bit too accentuated for me personally.

Thanks for the comments Lee, you're right about the first one, the crop was a factor of the shadows, also it was taken on a slope so has a pretty major rotation to look right, which I didn't spot in camera. A polarising filter is a great idea, I'll remember that next time.

I've detailed a couple of these cars so I know how big they are, but the distortion of the lens hasn't flattered the shape at all. I'd also say the strong light hasn't helped, it has produced too much contrast and again doesn't flatter the car.

Thanks for the comments. I was trying to work with the distortion and also get some of the surroundings. I also thought the evening hour and the side light would be flattering as it would be for a portrait. It sounds like it didn't particularly work!

I'll try to use a longer lens and softer light and maybe a polarising filter.

The problem, of course, with a car this size is getting the location with enough distance to make it work.

I had a go in one of those a couple of weekends ago, weird sensation but wicked to drive, very quick.

Wide angle Distortion works for the right car/angle, emphasising curves, such as straight on high from the front to emphasise a curvy long bonnet
The location has great possibilities, looks like a haunted house, so theres opportunities of to emphasise the scary nature of the car, with a dusk or night shot? For this time of day I'd probably have moved the car nearer the building and shot from further away. There feels like there's too much distance between the two, almost as though they don't belong together.

And you've already mentioned the polariser. Almost essential when shooting cars

I had a go in one of those a couple of weekends ago, weird sensation but wicked to drive, very quick.

It's certainly a weird sensation and maybe not for everybody, but I love it. The acceleration feels even faster than the 0-60 time of 4.2 seconds suggests, because it's so quick from the moment you put the foot down.

Wide angle Distortion works for the right car/angle, emphasising curves, such as straight on high from the front to emphasise a curvy long bonnet
The location has great possibilities, looks like a haunted house, so theres opportunities of to emphasise the scary nature of the car, with a dusk or night shot? For this time of day I'd probably have moved the car nearer the building and shot from further away. There feels like there's too much distance between the two, almost as though they don't belong together.

And you've already mentioned the polariser. Almost essential when shooting cars

Thanks for the comments, I was quite pushed for space so I would have had more room to work if I had done as you suggested and put the car closer to the house. I like the scary suggestion, maybe I could shoot at dusk and light the car with either light painting or strobes...

I'd probably start from 35-50mm and consider closer to 200mm for some shots. A few cars might benefit from crazy WA distortion, but these are more like classic oldies, rat rods, etc. Also pay attention to light, shadows and reflections.

I'd probably start from 35-50mm and consider closer to 200mm for some shots. A few cars might benefit from crazy WA distortion, but these are more like classic oldies, rat rods, etc. Also pay attention to light, shadows and reflections.

Yes, thanks for the tips. I think like with most aspects of photography the first time you try it you go for wacky style. You then realise it that playing it straight first is the right way to go!

Back