Captive Test of the new (old) lencarta smartflash!

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
Picked up these nearly a fortnight ago and haven't had the time to test them - forced myself to make time this evening. Lovely bit of kit!!

Lencarta Smartflash Test 1 by Sir SR, on Flickr

I'll post a few more later but this was the first one I looked at!

Ta for looking

Shaheed

Last edited:
Awesomeness as always Shaheed. I'll be trying to capture something similar on my new set up anytime soon :snaphappy:

great as usual...!

you have certainly cracked this 'look' and style. Really nice images. I like the crop too, really suits. Any one of these would look awesome blown up and on a wall...

Prefer the original. :LOL: I think your processing style is spot on tbh.

Any chance of a pic from the door of your setup next time you've 'got it out' (oo'er!)

Cheers, do you mean facing back towards the camera?

I agree with David, with regards to your PP. The style you have already is outstanding, out of curiosity, what were you looking to achieve with the edit. The main difference I can see is the background. Which by the way I can't tell you've added it in PP :)

I too think the original is the better of the two, I am not sure about the added texture to the background.

I agree with David, with regards to your PP. The style you have already is outstanding, out of curiosity, what were you looking to achieve with the edit. The main difference I can see is the background. Which by the way I can't tell you've added it in PP :)

Thanks - I just wanted to see what the background would be like if it wasn't so plain (not that I don't like it that way)!

Cheers

S

Yes Shaheed, that would be cool. Just interested to see how you position your flashes/softboxes.

Chris, the skin tone is darker in the edit too if you look closely.

Also, i've took a shot like you did the other day with the hair shadow and i'm really miffed as i liked the shot. :LOL:

I too think the original is the better of the two, I am not sure about the added texture to the background.

I think this is where I'm at with it too - its the first time I've added a texture and did it more out of curiosity, but I think I prefer the "cleaner" image!

Thanks

S

Yes Shaheed, that would be cool. Just interested to see how you position your flashes/softboxes.

Chris, the skin tone is darker in the edit too if you look closely.

Also, i've took a shot like you did the other day with the hair shadow and i'm really miffed as i liked the shot. :LOL:
View attachment 17156

I did take a quick one at the time (from the door funnily enough!!)

S

Really like your stuff Shaheed, so much so you've inspired me to dig out the studio bits today. I always said that they could be a novelty item that get used every 6 months if I'm not careful so must make an effort. Where did you get the low stand from I've been looking for something like that for a while.

Really like your stuff Shaheed, so much so you've inspired me to dig out the studio bits today. I always said that they could be a novelty item that get used every 6 months if I'm not careful so must make an effort. Where did you get the low stand from I've been looking for something like that for a while.

Cheers - very kind of you to say. Makes me feel happy if I've provided a teeny bit of inspiration with my limited "talent"

My lights used to live in the garage. I bought two more to use in the hilite but tested them a couple of days ago and have made room for them in my wardrobe - means I'm more likely to spend 5 mins setting up than if they were in the garage!

I got the low stand from lencarta - great bit of kit. There is one for sale in the classifieds I think at the mo @donkeymusic I think.

Thanks for looking

Shaheed

Last edited:
I think having the gear readily available is def the way forward. I was in a small house but in the middle of moving so hoping to have a couple ready to go in a spare room. Will check out that stand now looks spot on.

I think having the gear readily available is def the way forward. I was in a small house but in the middle of moving so hoping to have a couple ready to go in a spare room. Will check out that stand now looks spot on.

I have used the above set up with speedlights but the advantages of the smart flash - quick recycling and modelling light outweighed the other factors (no wires, slightly quicker to set up).

Just a word on the softboxes as people have asked about them previously. I have a Bessel and a lencarta pictured here. Both great, the lencarta one feels more robust but is more expensive (get what you pay for). The Bessel is great value and does a good job. You pays your money, you takes your choice!!

I've got a set of 2 D Lites with one 100cm octo rotalux (wish it was the bigger one but spoilt myself at the time) and a small 60x60 lencarta box. I love how quick the rotalux goes together but they are silly money especially the grids for them.

I really like the way you present your pictures in a panoramic format, it's something I've wanted to do for a while and planned to have a couple hung in my new office when we finally get to move. Was just looking at options to print and that's probably something I will research on another thread. Are you adding the extra canvas in PP, I assume so and what format are you using?

Yeah the canvas border is obviously in pp. Due to limited space there is a little stitching involved with a bit of pp to get the cinematic crop.

And there's a pesky light switch I have to be careful of in the background!

Last edited:
Loving these, great work. The crops are right up my street.

I must get one of those low stands, as last time I tried clamshell I ended up using a large silver reflector as the low light source.

Still, just got myself a D600 and think I will try again, although I only have speedlights, a softbox and few brollies.

Just one question if you don't mind.? Is the grey background just the fall off of light or was it tweaked in post?

Loving these, great work. The crops are right up my street.

I must get one of those low stands, as last time I tried clamshell I ended up using a large silver reflector as the low light source.

Still, just got myself a D600 and think I will try again, although I only have speedlights, a softbox and few brollies.

Just one question if you don't mind.? Is the grey background just the fall off of light or was it tweaked in post?
View attachment 17225

Fall off! I had lots of good results with one softbox and reflector with speed lights! As people far more qualified than I keep saying it's about the quality of the light, not necessarily what's producing it!

Back