Test shots from Tammy 150-600

Edit My Images
No
Here are a few shots taken with the Tamron 150-600 - Nothing special but gives you an idea of the detail it captures (good or otherwise) - all big and ugly crops but just down to show the detail the lens renders (good or bad).
Obviously not up to a Canon 'big white' prime but very good value for money IMO. Far better than any other third party zoom lens that I have tried. On my 5D3 the AF is absolutely fine in all modes inc AI Servo so I would guess mine must have had the AF fix applied. Please click image to view at the processed size.
A FEW MORE ADDED IN POST #14

gold1at600mm1200_zps58ca09a2.jpg

black3at550mm_zpsba4d83b1.jpg

#3 Captive but included to show the detail
rhea2_zpsf38320a9.jpg

cDove1_zps00d492a0.jpg

black1at550mm_zps67e5b96c.jpg

gold60001_zps0271cf80.jpg

gold60002-1200px_zpsc300a02f.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't seem much wrong with them, could be a worthwhile buy :)

They look very sharp. It would appear to be an excellent lens operated by a good photographer.

Hi Roy[ George] from that other forum you did say you might go for it well done some super stuff there Roy,does that mean the astro work is kicked into touch?
Were these on a tripod Roy?
Regards GEORGE.

Look great to me, been watching the thread on BF with interest about this lens, it does make me wonder if I should trade in my 400 f5.6 for this lens with the Tammy having that little be extra reach and the flexibility that a zoom gives you when out in the field.

Tim.

Hi Roy[ George] from that other forum you did say you might go for it well done some super stuff there Roy,does that mean the astro work is kicked into touch?
Were these on a tripod Roy?
Regards GEORGE.
Hi George, I got rid of the astro scope a long time ago. Yes these were mostly on tripod although #3 and #4 were handheld.

it does make me wonder if I should trade in my 400 f5.6 for this lens with the Tammy having that little be extra reach and the flexibility that a zoom gives you when out in the field.

Tim.
A tough call Tim, I have both lenses and will probably get rid of one but I have not made my mind up which one yet. If I were just shooting with a crop Camera I would probably keep the Tammy but the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc AF's very well on the 5D3 albeit only in centre point, centre point expansion and spot AF.

I think this set might have a bit more about the operator rather than the tool :thinking:
Other forums have shown that in the wrong hands this lens can produce some truly shocking images, i did have a loan of one to test for a morning but i got nothing as good as these so i suspect it was a pre AF fix version.
As you said Roy it's a VFM lens that in the right hands can produce good images (y)

Looks a good purchase!

as far as photos concerned, I like #2 and #5, nice crispy shots (and my favs), #7 seems soft on the eye of the bird, maybe focus has hit the beak?

Will be good to see some shots when you've become accustomed to the lens (bet it weighs a fair bit?) - shots will be pretty amazing when you've got a good handle on mastering it!

I think this set might have a bit more about the operator rather than the tool :thinking:
Other forums have shown that in the wrong hands this lens can produce some truly shocking images, i did have a loan of one to test for a morning but i got nothing as good as these so i suspect it was a pre AF fix version.
As you said Roy it's a VFM lens that in the right hands can produce good images (y)
Neil, I think a lot of the problem with this lens is that a heck of a lot of the users have no experience with long lenses. Asides from not having long lens experience a lot also are poor photographers anyway, metering is often wrong and they try and hand hold at the long end (wide open) at ridiculously slow shutter speeds . Like any lens it is all about working within its limitations. I have tried a few comparisons cropping the bare 400/5.6 images v Tammy at the long end and there is no doubt in my mind that the Tammy will yield more detail than a cropped 400/5.6. AF wise the my Tammy is absolutely fine on the 5D3 in all modes inc AI servo - cannot say about a crop Camera though although it seems fine on the few occasions I have tried it on my old 40D. The big test will come for me when I start shooting distant waders with the Tammy, I have a feeling the images will not stand the amount of cropping you can get away with on a Canon prime lens - time will tell.

Looks a good purchase!

as far as photos concerned, I like #2 and #5, nice crispy shots (and my favs), #7 seems soft on the eye of the bird, maybe focus has hit the beak?

Will be good to see some shots when you've become accustomed to the lens (bet it weighs a fair bit?) - shots will be pretty amazing when you've got a good handle on mastering it!
Hi Carl, I agree these shots are nothing special, I will put up a few more. Weight wise at less than 2KG it is way lighter than any other 600mm lens which is the main reason for me trying it (the 300/2.8 IS + 2x tc is not that much heavier though).

A couple more taken at the full 600mm. Again you need to click on the image to view at the processed size.
gold6001024px_zpse65afa73.jpg

gold60021024px_zpsbfc3c12f.jpg

Last edited:
I was tempted to replace my Sigma 150-500mm in favour of the Tamron 150-600mm - Its finding one that's the problem ( Sony Fit)

the Tamron does seem sharp at the 600mm end can't fault the images above

Les

A tough call Tim, I have both lenses and will probably get rid of one but I have not made my mind up which one yet. If I were just shooting with a crop Camera I would probably keep the Tammy but the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc AF's very well on the 5D3 albeit only in centre point, centre point expansion and spot AF.

Thanks for the tip Roy, I shoot with a 40D so looks like from what you are saying the Tammy is the way to go, I can under stand if you had a full frame body that maybe there is not too much difference as you could crop the shots down taken with a 400 that little bit more than you can on a crop body. I just now need to find some where selling a Canon fit example.

Cheers

Tim.

Cheers Coyon, the wife has a big car bill on the horizon, if its not too large the card will be coming out.

Tim.

Back