Tethered shooting with a D700 and Mac

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anybody tried tethered shooting on a D700 and a Mac?

I tried to find a way this weekend. First I tried "Lightroom Tether" which didn't seem to work giving an error which I think was “failure to import image”.

Then I tried a trial of Camera Control Pro 2, which is the most dated piece of software I have seen in years, loads of bizarre menus with labels like IDS_EDIT_TITLE. I eventually got this to work, with the photo going into a really shabby image viewer in a strange format which was filename.NEF. (an extra full stop at the end). Lightroom wouldn’t recognize these files so I then had to use a trial of Capture NX 2 to change them to a standard .NEF file that Lightroom understood.

Is there an easier way? My old Sony A700 came with free software which worked quiet easily to copy the file to the Mac into a “watched” folder that Lightroom autoimported. I am surprised that Nikon do not offer something similar, as there are surely many more studio pros that use their kit.

I shoot tethered with a D700 into a PC and yes, camera control pro does rename them with a silly affix. Still juggling though. :)

Has anybody tried tethered shooting on a D700 and a Mac?

I tried to find a way this weekend. First I tried "Lightroom Tether" which didn't seem to work giving an error which I think was “failure to import image”.

Hi Pete,

Mountain Storm's Lightroom will work, it'll most likely be the auto import syncing with lightroom that's causing the problem.

It's not the easiest of things to set up correctly and I'm probably going to be useless at explaining it but I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

T.

Hi Pete,

Mountain Storm's Lightroom will work, it'll most likely be the auto import syncing with lightroom that's causing the problem.

It's not the easiest of things to set up correctly and I'm probably going to be useless at explaining it but I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

T.

Thanks Thomas, I'll give it another go. Do you need to set Lightroom to autoimport or does the add-in do it all?

Thanks Thomas, I'll give it another go. Do you need to set Lightroom to autoimport or does the add-in do it all?

No probs, it was a right pain in the posterior to set the second time round for me, the first time I fluked it I think.

The plug in doesn't do anything in terms of import configuration, it all has to be done manually.

The creation of the watched folder, LR2's auto import functions have to be carefully selected etc.

The initial steps are the Studio Tether settings, thats the brain program behind Lightroom studio tether.

I think the read me or the instructions for that will walk you through it.

I'd be happy to re-install and start from scratch to try help you out but I'm up to my ears at the moment mate. All hell's breaking loose today :LOL:

Let me know how you get on (y)

There's no hurry mate, I probably wont get a chance to try until the weekened anyway. At least I know that is is compatible with the D700 and a MAc now, something that wasn't clear on the website.

(y)

ime a klutz at these things i take it you loaded the mac option?

i managed to connect my d700 to a pc laptop view them full size and load them into my pictures automaticaly. which is how i normaly do it.taking the pictures from there to photoshop.

it worked superb and was a bit of a revelation changing settings as i went along.

the nikon trials run out for me know so im looking for any free software eqivelent.

I've been searching for some tethering freeware too and came across this for the mac/nikon. No use to me as I don't have a mac but would be interested to know if it's any good.

http://www.sofortbildapp.com/

Paul

I've been searching for some tethering freeware too and came across this for the mac/nikon. No use to me as I don't have a mac but would be interested to know if it's any good.

http://www.sofortbildapp.com/

Paul

Sorry for the delay in replying to this Paul. I have tried this software and it works a treat, by far the easiest solution I have found so far and free!

(y)

thanks for the heads up

Back