Tewkesbury Abbey

Maybe, tried the lens correction in camera to try rather than post process might try black & white next time

They are all good quality shots, but they all desperately need correction to the converging verticals. Exposure has been very well handled, and if hand held then great kudos to you.

All nice shots, but two and four are my favourites.
Can I ask a question here, can Yellowbelly tell us how the best way to correct the verticals? Personally if the photos come out of the camera like this i would have thought that would be correct. I know there are editing programs that can do this, but I find some of them hard to get a grasp of.

Hi Andrew,

Correction can be a thorney subject as converging verticals are often used by many photographers, including me! as a deliberate attempt to add interest and impact. However in this instance I personally would like to see them corrected as church interiors IMHO carry enough impact and interest already.

To correct them is a generally simple matter. In Elements for example, I use free transform to stretch the top of the image, and, if necessary compress the bottom. There are limits here as stretching the top too far causes serious image degradation.

I understand the latest version of Lightroom has an automated correction facility, although as a Ligtroom 4 user I have never used it. LR4 will do just as good a job even though it may take longer. Most editing programs can do it.

If you are serious about architecture, then a tilt and shift lens may be appealing to you, but they can be costly, but they allow correct in-camera.

Hope this helps.

Back