Thai Bar

Name
Tomas
Edit My Images
No
Just a couple from yesterday's bread and butter. It's always a very pleasant experience when you have the chance to work with folk who are most hospitable and very welcoming, it's even better when they're up for a portrait when asked from off the cuff.

I asked the barman with the mohawk type do, "Can you do any Tom Cruise style tricks? y'know, throwing a glass and catching it?
"Sure I can" he replied and promptly disappeared around the corner out of sight.
Seconds later, pop, shatter and tinkle! :|
he returns "Okay, maybe I'll just hold the cocktail shaker" :LOL:

More images and full details on set up here

3307797218_c869d462d2_o.jpg

_09T1101-Edit-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
I REALLY like #2. Great atmosphere

You had bread and butter in two bars yesterday? ;) You can't beat really good bread with top quality butter. I trust you got something else for your troubles. Like them both but #2 inches it for me. I prefer the lighting and the barman's pose.

You had bread and butter in two bars yesterday? ;) You can't beat really good bread with top quality butter. I trust you got something else for your troubles. Like them both but #2 inches it for me. I prefer the lighting and the barman's pose.

Cheers Russ! It was all the same building, they had one bar upstairs and another in the restaurant downstairs, I agree, the second one has this very comfortable tone to it, which was the general feel of the place, comfortable and welcoming.

The chef put on a good spread for us too :woot: The reporter and I sometimes get a little spoiled :D

_09T1138.jpg

_09T1177.jpg

I should have known they wouldn't serve bread and butter in a Thai restaurant. I like the food images too. #2 reminds me when our Chinese daughter in law made fish head stew. It took a week for the smell to leave the house.

I should have known they wouldn't serve bread and butter in a Thai restaurant. I like the food images too. #2 reminds me when our Chinese daughter in law made fish head stew. It took a week for the smell to leave the house.

Well, y'know what they say? "Only pass wind and cook fish in well ventilated area's" :LOL:

Great shots Tomas, and that Thai food mmmmmmm my favourite, makes me want to go back there right now :D

Very nice Tomas, I prefer the lighting and composition in No2.
Have you altered No2 ? cause i'm sure there was a umbrella reflection in the mirror behind :thinking: or am I loosing the plot

Very nice Tomas, I prefer the lighting and composition in No2.
Have you altered No2 ? cause i'm sure there was a umbrella reflection in the mirror behind :thinking: or am I loosing the plot

:eek: Eep, ya rumbled me there mate, there was an umbrella 'flection but I shopped it! Well spotted. Cheers for the words mate (y)

Two great shots, but could be ant where in the world.

#2 for me, more depth to the mans face - great shot. #1 is a bit too flat for my taste, but I'm being picky there :)

Yeah, quite right mate, the second one was taken downstairs and I had the rim light much further behind the manager, much more depth indeed.
Ya live and learn ;) Saying that though I think it's okay for the images to look a little different.

Tom, think he meant "any"!

:LOL: I know, I was referring to 'anywhere in the world' comment, I don't understand the relevance.

Last edited:
Ah. Neither do I :¬)

The kicker is much better in #2. Bare flash or modified?

(y) A bare one with a very short snoot to help keep the beam under wraps, I didn't want too much spill. I had only one stand with me so I used a bar stool, a super clamp and a cullmann micro ball head to fix it all together. Wallop, second stand!

Sorry did not mean to confuse you with the typo.
The relevance is your heading/title is Thai bar, i guess referring to Thailand but i guess i could be wrong, sorry.

Sorry did not mean to confuse you with the typo.
The relevance is your heading/title is Thai bar, i guess referring to Thailand but i guess i could be wrong, sorry.

No probs (y) They're Finnish barmen in a Thai bar in Helsinki, Finland just to make matters even more colourful but the location is not the character really.

Maybe the title of the post is a little inaccurate or misdirectional, maybe it should be 'Barmen' or something similar :thinking:

love your work m8! every time you post images it makes me think god how did he do that! lol

Much appreciated Danny (y) All is explained here mate:

http://tomaswhitehouse.blogspot.com/2009/02/all-thaid-up.html

Very straight forward and quite possible on a budget.

By the way, you should check out Martin Wiklund, young Swedish chap, very good, he uses a 350D and has done for alot of the pics on his web site, just goes to show what you can do with good lighting, it ain't always about them mega pixels, just good light and good glass!

T.

Back