The 2023 ICF Canoe Slalom World Championships

Name
David Williams
Edit My Images
No
Lee Valley White Water Centre 22.9.23
I have wanted to go here to try taking some photographs for ages, a day off work and a sunny forecast saw me there before the start at 10.00
As you would expect there were World and Olympic champions galore! It was great to be able to see these elite athletes perform at such close range.
The sunny conditions really set the scene off beautifully with the bubbly water acting like a reflector and there were no real exposure problems as I had anticipated.
I shot just over 1300 frames in 3 hours !! Don't think I've ever done that before, but the action was so fast all I could do was keep shooting short bursts (at 15fps that's still a lot of frames) and hope a few had decent framing, visible faces etc
Some of these are full frame, some cropped square from horizontal or poorly framed images.
I did have a bit of trouble initially following the very erratic movement of the competitors, I'm more used to motorsport/aviation where the direction of travel is a bit more consistent.
The face tracking on the R7 did a fantastic job, It would hang on to the focus point /face even through all the splashing water, I'm still amazed how well it works.ER7_4088_1500.jpgER7_4105_1500.jpgER7_4377_1500.jpgER7_4771_1500.jpgER7_4222_1500.jpg

Last edited:
Used to do a bit of kayaking at school. Mainly around the 10-20 km when racing but in a WW boat! Could never sit a "proper" K1 comfortably so used a heavier kayak. Shot some WW stuff back then too but the negs got lost in a parental move about 35 years ago. :( Tri-X pushed to 1,600 ASA gave golf ball grain!!! MF was... challenging too.

Back