The 23/24 Football Thread

The most important part of that was - "ok, one thing, Southgate". I think he is one of the worst international managers out there, who has been blessed with having more talent than you can shake a stick at.
There have been other England managers, with arguably more talented squads, that have done a lot less than Southgate has.

Were the Brazil, Argentina and French managers good at their jobs, or lucky to have Ronaldo, Messi and Mbappe and the rest of their squads!

Whoever was in charge of a team with Seaman, Ferdinand, Adams, Ince, Scholes, Owen and Shearer should have won something.

Or had a squad with Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard Gerrard, and Rooney in should have won something too.

If not Southgate, then who? :thinking:

There have been other England managers, with arguably more talented squads, that have done a lot less than Southgate has.

Were the Brazil, Argentina and French managers good at their jobs, or lucky to have Ronaldo, Messi and Mbappe and the rest of their squads!

Whoever was in charge of a team with Seaman, Ferdinand, Adams, Ince, Scholes, Owen and Shearer should have won something.

Or had a squad with Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard Gerrard, and Rooney in should have won something too.

Yes we have underperformed and we are not the best defensively but any of our front 6 (assuming Palmer plays ahead of Henderson) would get into any side in the world. Southgate is to defensive and picks his favourites rather than on form players.

Jose Mourinho, Jurgen Klopp, Pep Guardiola etc.

Jose Mourinho, Jurgen Klopp, Pep Guardiola etc.
If they are the options, then I think Southgate is safe for now. ;)

I'm 50-50 whether Klopp gets another job in football, as I don't think his style of management, working on the training pitches day to day, is suited to international management. And surely Germany before England anyway.

I can't see Pep going into international football any time soon, and you would think it would be with Spain if he did.

Same with Moaninho, with Portugal, but I think his reputation has lessened after his last few jobs. ;) And his appointment would be a big bet for short term gain, looking at the way leaves jobs.

Fingers crossed this summer works out for Southgate and England.

Back