The Cuillins & Eilean Donan Castle

Must have been snowing.

It's early for snow.

Funny. Having problems linking from flickr. Used to be easy

Ok, hopefully it's worked this time!

Finally made the trip over to Skye I had been wanting to do for a while. Hired a 16-35 for the overnight trip and coming from a D7000 and Tamron 17-50 to using the 16-35 on my D610 was a big change and lessons were learned! First two are looking toward the Cuillins from Elgol and the third was an unplanned stop at Eilean Donan on the way home. Got there in the middle of the day and the light was rubbish but had to get a shot. Will definitely be back to Elgol as the shots I took home just didn't do the place justice. These locations have been done to death before my many others but i had to see what all the fuss was about.

Cheers,
Iain

Elgol Beach & Cuillins by Iain Brooks, on Flickr

Cuillins From Elgol by Iain Brooks, on Flickr

Eilean Donan Castle by Iain Brooks, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's worked.

No1 for me
I'm not keen on no3, it just doesn't look real.

Yeah i know. I got there at midday (unplanned stop) and the light was terrible. Will be back for a sunset sometime hopefully.

Yeah i know. I got there at midday (unplanned stop) and the light was terrible. Will be back for a sunset sometime hopefully.
You'll just have to kick people out of the way :)

Yeah i thought there was some new species of bird there but it was actually just tripod footprints everywhere!

Kind of apt, they'll flock there if it's going to be a decent sunset :)

Hi Iain agree with Steve #3, the halo in #1 main rock in center caught my eye straight away ? I'm always getting picked up for it, over sharpening.

Lovely composition by the looks of it you got in amongest it too, hope you kept warm and comfortable and remaind DRY, No1 rule for a Landscape photographer.

It wasn't the most comfortable, venturing out between rain showers, standing on a dead seal and of course the midges which almost made me head for the safety of the car on occasion! The scenery makes it worthwhile tho

It does indeed can not believe you dont carry a Mozzie net as part of your camera bag, first on the list here in Snowdonia dont let anything get in the way ;) as for dead seal i would have just packed up and gone elswhere.

Last edited:
1 and 2 looking good for me, but remarkably similar to each other and wondering if you maybe meant to post the Cuillins from Elgol shot that sits between 1 and 3 on Flickr? :thinking: Agree that the Eilean Donan one isn't hitting the mark, but maybe a darker processed version would work.

Hi Peter, yes I did! Only just noticed now, will fix it tomorrow! Thanks for pointing that out

OK, I have changed it to the correct photo! (Forgive me, I'm not the best when it comes to BB codes and stuff)

Worth viewing the Flickr version for enjoying the full effect, but I think the inclusion of the boat is a marmite thing and I'm not sure it adds to the photo for me. It doesn't ruin it either, so it'll be interesting to see what others think.

Yeah i muddled over it for a while as well. I have a version where I edited it out but the left hand side looked a bit empty without it.

I absolutely love no.2. very atmospheric with the overhanging cloud and a nice bit of tension in the scene with the boat exiting stage left. very nice ;)

Back