The Doll

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
No
Not sure how creative this is but it seemed to fit this section better than others.

My step daughter used to collect dolls but decided to get rid a couple of years ago. The last few were being consigned to the bin and being a tight Scotsman I couldn't let that happen.
And although they scare me, I was prepared to let them live in a tightly sealed box under the stairs. They get brought out now and again when I want to have a play with lighting.
Every time I open the box their cold eyes seem to convey the animosity they feel towards me for their current accomodation.

Anyway, here is the leader of the pack.

The Doll by barrysprout, on Flickr

The Doll 2 by barrysprout, on Flickr

Last edited:
Think I prefer the lighting/processing of the first shot,edging towards 'eerie' if that was your intent

Think I prefer the lighting/processing of the first shot,edging towards 'eerie' if that was your intent

Thanks for commenting. Yes spooky/eerie is where my thoughts lay. Spent a bit more time on pp with the first so I'm glad you picked that one.

Well personally, I don't think those type of dolls need much help in the lighting or PP department to look eerie - spooky enough just as they are if you ask me :LOL:

I think you've got the look and feel spot on in the first one (y)
Does she have a moveable head? I think it would add even more to the atmosphere if you could pose her 3/4 on to the camera and turn the head at an angle to look straight down at the viewer.
(2nd is just a little too bright for me)

The head is fixed Sarah, although I'm sure it spins on it's own at times!

Think you're right with the second ones brightness. I tried the second one to get her looking more at camera.

Thanks for the (y) on number 1

It's raining here today, if I feel brave enough I may get 2 or 3 of them out for a group shot.

Or is this edit better?

Untitled1_zpse62e0007.gif

Last edited:
This is actually the second edit Hazel, the first one as quoted above by Lee was only blinking without the eye movement. I'll dig them out another day when I'm feeling brave and try something else.

(y) The PP on these is really bringing out the best creepiest in them.
Not sure if I prefer the original or this latest version. I like the full length shot in the original, but there's something about the face of that second doll so I can see why you went for a close up.

As for the edited version . . .

. . . somebody tell me when it's safe to come back out!

Thanks Sarah, sorry to continually frighten you with these images. Think there may be a few more shots to come though.

Thanks Sarah, sorry to continually frighten you with these images. Think there may be a few more shots to come though.

Bring them on, thats my thoughts!

Very interested to know how you did this please, would love to do this on a projected image competition shown at camera club......

:LOL:

Bring them on, thats my thoughts!

Very interested to know how you did this please, would love to do this on a projected image competition shown at camera club......

:LOL:

Will be a couple of weeks before any updates as I'm on holiday this week and next.
The moving eyes image was done using photoshop. An animated gif with only a couple of frames changed in the sequence.

I would get them back in their box as quick as I could, hammer the lid down and padlock a chain around it:eek:
They are creepy things!
processing works well in these

I agree with Jules.

Mind you I was wondering whether you would take one away on hols with you, now THAT would be spooky!

With most people, myself included thinking these things are creepy before processing. It's surprising there was or is a market for them.

Very scary - we have some unfortunately - but I have to say that the clown ones are worse :eek:

:LOL: I bet there's a whole generation of kids traumatised by having these things in their bedrooms (myself included)

Really enjoying the series Colin and hoping to see more.
I'd love to see you play around with some multiple exposures with these (you know the ones with the same doll in a few different locations around a room) or maybe some long exposures introducing some motion blur by moving the doll a touch in the middle of the shot.

p.s. Sorry for any nightmares I've just caused with those suggestions :D

I'm liking the multiple exposures idea Sarah, watch this space. If you dare!

It's been a while since I updated this thread, so the Dolls were out to play again today.
Luckily they seem to be turning on each other which should be safer for me.
However one of them didn't look too pleased to be caught in the act, sleeves rolled up and ready to "get to work"

Scene of the crime by barrysprout, on Flickr

Last edited:
Your a very sick puppy Barry :) these are some creepy pictures, very well done and the PP suites the subject exactly.

Just found this thread and what a great series, although I'm with most that they are hellishly scary (but then I hide behind the settee for the X-files).

The blinking eye images caught me off guard lol. It was spooky enough without the animation but I do like it. The graininess is good without taking too much of the detail away.

That last one is very clever and I didn't even notice the blade at first. I'm going to check all toys for concealed weapons now.

Two of my least favourite things to pop into dreams later combined into a very good narrative image. :)

Just found this thread and what a great series, although I'm with most that they are hellishly scary (but then I hide behind the settee for the X-files).

The blinking eye images caught me off guard lol. It was spooky enough without the animation but I do like it. The graininess is good without taking too much of the detail away.

That last one is very clever and I didn't even notice the blade at first. I'm going to check all toys for concealed weapons now.

Two of my least favourite things to pop into dreams later combined into a very good narrative image. :)

Thanks lynda, it took me a few attempts to get the light reflecting on the blade otherwise it seemed to disappear completely.

:thinking: Weird.
If I click on it I go through to Flickr and I can see it. Nothing showing in thread though.

As said already, very nice lighting on the razor blade and the harsh wall shadow actually really adds to the mood.
If it's at all possible, I'm actually finding those dolls more and more sinister :LOL:

:thinking: Weird.
If I click on it I go through to Flickr and I can see it. Nothing showing in thread though.

As said already, very nice lighting on the razor blade and the harsh wall shadow actually really adds to the mood.
If it's at all possible, I'm actually finding those dolls more and more sinister :LOL:

I did actually update the picture on Flickr after posting on here so maybe that has caused it? :shrug: not sure why it still shows on my PC though.

I'll try posting it again here.

Thanks again for the comments Sarah, still not got around to doing a multi- shot but it's in the pipeline.

Scene of the crime by barrysprout, on Flickr

(y) That one's working for me.
The other one's just showing the currently unavailable doodah :

njlq4f4

I think you might be right about it being because you updated the pic on Flickr, but no idea why you can still see it and as I said if I click on it I still get directed to the right place on Flickr :thinking: :shrug:

Glad that the multi shot is still on the cards. Looking forward to it.

Maybe I should have locked them away earlier but I just went through to check they weren't up to anything.
Maybe it's the time of night? Maybe it's the film I just watched? But I swear there is something not quite right.

A lot of maybe's? Maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there?

Am I seeing things? by barrysprout, on Flickr

Had an idea earlier to try and create something straight from camera rather than using props or processing to create something slightly disturbing (other than the dolls themselves being disturbing)
Used a double exposure to just make the image hard to look at. I think it almost works as it gets difficult to view after a few seconds.

The Doll againagain by barrysprout, on Flickr

Thread revival!!!!!!!!!

Found this typewriter in the loft which planted a seed. tried a couple of variations and I'm not sure which I prefer so I will post both. More an experiment with lighting than anything else.

And for any new viewers to this thread, if you quickly scrolled down to here please scroll back up again to post number 8 and take a long look. I'd almost forgotten about that edit :eek:

All play and no work by barrysprout, on Flickr

All play and no work by barrysprout, on Flickr

Back