The Flatiron Building, New York City.

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I love this building. On my previous visit to New York City back in 2006 I didn't get chance to see it with my own eyes so I wasn't going to miss out this time.

I hired a push bike from near my hotel and cycled down towards Union Square to finally clap my eyes on this phenomenal piece of architecture.

It's such a peculiar shape and I've seen nothing of it's type anywhere else I've traveled over the years. The only problem was the harsh midday sun, I couldn't escape it and it was causing me all kinds of headaches trying to get a good shot with the sun casting all manner of unsightly shadows.

So, in the end I decided to incorporate the sun into the image; shooting handheld with a very narrow aperture I caught the suns rays peeking from behind this most amazing of buildings.

9778194476_fc5a02e92f_c.jpg

9789256966_11fbd0aa0b_c.jpg

Two very nice example of how to turn the harsh mid-day sun to your advantage. Very well done. Both are excellent shots but I prefer the first to the second.

The hardest building to shoot in NY in my opinion, always looks wonky! You've done well here. I shot from further back to incorporate some foreground and a yellow cab.

Amazing detail in the stonework in the second shot. I'm with Jake though, I think some foreground interest would give the building some 'grounding' as the viewer has no idea if you're at the bottom of the building or halfway up.

I think a further away image to show more of the surroundings would have been better. Also there is a bit of oversharpening going on with a contrast line around the building in the first image.

BTW there is a similar building in Toronto;) (though not as tall)

I'm very impressed with the exposure managed given the direct shooting into the sun

Thank you. The trick is to position yourself so only a tiny part of the sun is peeking out from the side of the building, if it was the whole sun the exposure would be all over the place! :)

You have done really well considering the time of day. It is not an easy building to photograph. When I was there about five years ago it was covered in scaffolding. My best images included somd of the nearby traffic lights.

Back