The Fuji X-A1, X-A2, X-A3 & X-M1 thread

I received my cash back cheque at the beginning of the week. Sent off my claim in mid jan.

I've decided on getting a X-M1 as a second body to my X-Pro1 (and to make good use of the articulated screen for low angle stuff), during looking for the X-M1 (now on order) I came across an X-A1 at a fair price. Researching the difference between the two I found that there was a lot of inconsistency in the findings, so I decided to get the X-A1 and see for myself :)

So, I have the X-A1 and will receive the X-M1 next week to do a bit of testing, so if there is anything that you want to see compared, let me know

Hi,
Funny seeing this topic as I'm currently travelling and am thinking about buying a Fujifilm X-A1.
My reasons are size. Travelling around different counties on trains, planes and buses, I find my Canon 700d SLR just to bulky.

I also see that jessops are doing a deal for £369 inc a kit lens + a free 50-250mm lens which seems fantastic.

Would like to know how this camera compares to the one I have?! I just feel I don't use all the benefits the 700d has to offer. Basically......it's wasted on me lol

Darren

Surely the only difference between the two is the type of sensor used, and the price - everything else is identical isn't it? Confirmation of that would be helpful. I've seen comparisons of the results (on here somewhere I think), and the detail resolved by the X-M1 is very slightly better than the X-A1, so it's just a matter of whether the extra cost justifies that.

I also see that jessops are doing a deal for £369 inc a kit lens + a free 50-250mm lens which seems fantastic.

Would like to know how this camera compares to the one I have?! I just feel I don't use all the benefits the 700d has to offer. Basically......it's wasted on me lol

Sadly, I think that offer has ended (recent Fuji offers were for purchases up to the end of March)

No idea how it'll compare to your 700d - more of a comparison between the A and the M :)

Surely the only difference between the two is the type of sensor used, and the price - everything else is identical isn't it? Confirmation of that would be helpful. I've seen comparisons of the results (on here somewhere I think), and the detail resolved by the X-M1 is very slightly better than the X-A1, so it's just a matter of whether the extra cost justifies that.

Yep, that's correct, only difference is the sensor - I've seen comparisons where the A is cleaner than the M and the other way around

I'll compare OOC jpg's and raw files (I generally use Capture One but could also use ACR)

Well, on Jesspos it says until the 31st May 2014. It's a steal if you ask me. Me Sigma lens was the same price of the Fuji package!!!!

Well, on Jesspos it says until the 31st May 2014. It's a steal if you ask me. Me Sigma lens was the same price of the Fuji package!!!!

You're right! - it appears a new wave of Fuji offers are now available :)

Thanks for starting this thread. I toyed with these cameras when the last offer was on but failed to buy either so am now tempted again. the comparisons I have seen seem to suggest that the A might look sharper out of the camera but the M handles noise better and the images look less digital. I would be interested to hear your opinion on high iso shots and overall image quality.

Bad news: DigitalRev have let me down and are now unable to supply my X-M1

Good news: I can now take advantage of the reintroduced offers and get a good deal on home turf :)

delivered yesterday :)

first impressions - the A's body finish in nicer in the hand than the M's - will be doing some photo tests over the next few days

Not looking like I'm going to get chance to put anything together this weekend :(

just to note though, my wife loves her D3X and she's tried a few cameras (D7000, D5300, X100, X-Pro 1) as a smaller day to day camera and has rejected them all, she insists on carrying around the D3X with a 35/1.4 and an 85/1.4 - to be honest I've given up trying to find something that she'll like, she picked up the X-A1 and loves it! - I handed her the X-M1 but straight away she rejected it as it 'didn't feel good to hold' - for me I prefer the feel of the A's finish but the M looks better as a second body to the X-Pro (not to mention the workflow benefits of having the same sensor)

formal comparisons coming soon

Is there an official X-A1/X-M1 owners thread yet? Would be interested to know some more user views on the 'A'

I don't know of an official thread yet, perhaps this thread will develop into it. I ordered an XA1 last week so should have it in my hands on Monday. I decided to go for the A as the reviews seem good and I found a secondhand one at a decent price. If I don't get on with it I'll sell it on and give the M ago instead.

I don't know of an official thread yet, perhaps this thread will develop into it. I ordered an XA1 last week so should have it in my hands on Monday. I decided to go for the A as the reviews seem good and I found a secondhand one at a decent price. If I don't get on with it I'll sell it on and give the M ago instead.

I also should have one on Monday, but i bought new with the lens kit for £369 as you can get a free 50-230 lens direct from Fuji via redemption (worth up to £300+)

If Amazon could actually get the stock of the X-M1 in, this also qualifies for the free Fuji 50-230 lens, plus there's £100 Amazon promotional credit when you by one. At £357, that would make it £257 inc. 2 lenses...

If Amazon could actually get the stock of the X-M1 in, this also qualifies for the free Fuji 50-230 lens, plus there's £100 Amazon promotional credit when you by one. At £357, that would make it £257 inc. 2 lenses...

I thought that too, but purchases from Amazon aren't eligible according to the Fuji retailers list: http://free-fujifilm-lens.co.uk/retailers.pdf

Is Amazon eligible for the free 50-230mm ?
I was looking out of interest at the X-M1 on Amazon but when i looked at the eligible retailers for the free lens i didn't spot amazon on the list.. I know they have been in the past so not sure if it's me missing them on the list lol

Ah just confirmed what i was saying then ^^^ shame although I have a X-T1 the current Amazon price with the lens free "if" it was would've tempted me get it.

Last edited:
Actually, Amazon are now on live chat suggesting they're not part of the promotion despite advertising it on the product page with links to pdf's (that i've screen grabbed in case they quickly remove them all)...

You're now connected to Vinod from Amazon.co.uk

Me:Query about free lens promotion

Vinod:Hello, my name is Vinod.

Is that a per-order query ?

Hello Barry .

Me:I have ordered the Fuji X-A1 that is part of a free lens redemption offer from Fuji
Only Amazon are not listed on Fuji's list of accepted retailers

Vinod:I'm sorry however we don't have the promotion running at the moment .
I'll send your feedback to the appropriate department for further consideration.

Me:It says you do on the product page

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html...(See full link)

Until May 31st 2014...

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G...(See full link)

Vinod:Let me check .
Since Amazon is not listed there is nothing much that be done .

Me:What do you mean?
You're advertising a promotion on a product that is a blatent lie? Is that what you're suggesting?
I have bought a product on the basis of a promotion which doesn't exist despite being advertised?

Vinod:please give me 2 minutes .

Thank you for staying connected .

You will have to contacted Fuji on 0844 553 2322 related to the promotion .

Me:No, you are the retailer. You have sold a product by mis advertising. I am not spending time and money calling Fuji. This is a disgraceful and underhand trading method

Vinod:On the website it clearly states that you will have to contact Fuji .
Below " How To Claim" section .

Me:Can I just get this right... You do not know if Amazon are part of the promotion you're advertising on this product?

Vinod:Once you have placed the order from the cameras listed below , to claim for the free lens, you will have to contact Fuji as the item will be shipped via Fuji and not via Amazon ( free Lens )

Me:Yes, I understand I have to send the paperwork to Fuji... my question is, are you a valid partner in this promotion as you're not listed in their valid vendors list, despite you advertising this deal on the product page?

Vinod:Yes we are valid partner with them for the above deal .

Me:Thankyou. That is what I originally asked in my initial question:
"I have ordered the Fuji X-A1 that is part of a free lens redemption offer from Fuji, only Amazon are not listed on Fuji's list of accepted retailers"

Vinod:I'm sorry for the misunderstanding caused here .

So, after that clear as mud conversation, I've emailed Fuji...

Apparently, someone has called Fuji and the X-A1 and X-E1 from Amazon ARE included in the free lens deal. The X-M1 is not, but it does have £100 amazon credit on that model :)

Apparently, someone has called Fuji and the X-A1 and X-E1 from Amazon ARE included in the free lens deal. The X-M1 is not, but it does have £100 amazon credit on that model :)

It does seem that there has been some confusion with this and perhaps Amazon have only recently join the promotion. Hopefully it means you will get your 50-230 lens without any problems.

My XA1 arrived eventually (just before 6) so now the kids are in bed I am getting to plat with it. First impressions are good. It feels well built and is nice in the hand, the main controls I want seem to be easy to lay hands on when shooting. The kit lens seems to perform fine and the few test shots I have taken with it so far look to be good, I have just tried the app for getting photos wirelessly from the camera and wasn't too impressed with it. Took a while to get it connected but when I did it worked ok, might be easier to stick with a card reader! Hope to give it a fuller test tomorrow.

I would still be interested to hear the opinions of the A vs the M...

Can anyone answer me this, coming from a D7000 not sure whether I'm being stupid or missing something...

Is it not possible to use the pop up flash in Shutter (S) or Aperture (A) mode? I notice it calls these modes Automatic Shutter and Automatic Aperture on the dial menu.

So I'm in the house, in (A) mode, rock the Aperture down to f3.5, pop the flash up... no option in the menu to activate the flash.

I figured it out... I had read about silent mode disabling it but that didn't sort it. I must have enabled bracketing mode as I was browsing the menu's, that was stopping the flash. All sorted now :)

Apologies (again) for the lack of contribution on the A/M comparison, sadly my father is very ill so between work and weekends by his side the M hasn't been used :(

Peter, I think that you did the right with in getting the A, my wife has been snapping away happily with ours (well, her's now) and is reaching for it and leaving her D3X in the bag - as it stands the only strong reason I can see for choosing the M is to streamline workflow where multiple x-trans based bodies are used

I'll edit the thread title such that it can plod on as a general A/M discussion

Not sure on the Amazon situation but as much as I would have liked to get mine from them (got a Prime account) I ended up getting mine from Jessops - now waiting for the 50-230 to arrive

Apologies (again) for the lack of contribution on the A/M comparison, sadly my father is very ill so between work and weekends by his side the M hasn't been used :(

Peter, I think that you did the right with in getting the A, my wife has been snapping away happily with ours (well, her's now) and is reaching for it and leaving her D3X in the bag - as it stands the only strong reason I can see for choosing the M is to streamline workflow where multiple x-trans based bodies are used

I'll edit the thread title such that it can plod on as a general A/M discussion

Don't apologise there are things in life that are far more important than cameras! I hope that your father makes a swift recovery.

I am liking the A so far and am badly tempted to get a second one for the free 50-230 (I do like having lots of toys)! I really fancy trying the 60 f2.4 too, hopefully I will pick on up soon as it looks like my kind of lens.

Back