Some from me with the xm1

12150491026_4022bd0c4a_z.jpg
[/url]Swan by -Andy D photography-[/IMG]

12673105075_2699fdd6fa_z.jpg
[/url]Quayside Pitcher and Piano by -Andy D photography-[/IMG]

12037693034_736e051a76_z.jpg
[/url]Sleeping by -Andy D photography-[/IMG]

Last edited:
Disappointed with Fuji. Had been promised a dispatch date for the free 50-230mm lens of 2nd June. This was 2 weeks ago they confirmed this date. Rang up today to ask for tracking information to be told, sorry, there's a shortage of them in Black... How long ago must they have known they were going to have a certain requirement to be fulfilled. Also a bit of a joke that they take your email address at the time of claiming the lens, but at no point during the whole process do they contact you, not even upon dispatch apparently. :(

I didn't want to moan too much as it is a free lens at the end of the day, but really frustrating when these big companies can not fulfill promises on the after sales service side of things.

Mine arrived today. So they got it to me on day 26 after they received my form

And you won't hear from them unless you ring them...

Just in time for the torrential rain tomorrow!

Can you guess answer this... do either of these share the same focussing as the XPro/XE/X100 or do they have a more 'consumer' type of focussing like face detect or when you shoot with something like compact and it choses focus point for you?

Can you guess answer this... do either of these share the same focussing as the XPro/XE/X100 or do they have a more 'consumer' type of focussing like face detect or when you shoot with something like compact and it choses focus point for you?

press the AF button on the 4 way on the back and a grid appears allowing selection of the desired focus point/area

press the AF button on the 4 way on the back and a grid appears allowing selection of the desired focus point/area
So the same as the xpro then? Fine for me but wanted something which the wife could just point and shoot without selecting focus points.

Nice @colda did you use any ND filters on these, what were the settings?

Anyone use a wrist or neck strap with these cameras? I haven't attached anything yet, but thinking of a wrist strap for safety... any ideas?

Nice @colda did you use any ND filters on these, what were the settings?

Yeah, used a Hitech Pro Stopper 10 filter (shots were f16/20s), not too keen on it to be honest, had the original one beforehand and the colour contamination was terrible this one is better but still doesn't make me smile, when they released the one I used they continued to sell the original with the added line 'should only be used for black and white photography', they now have the new IRND range that are supposed to be quite good but having paid out full price twice I'm not in a rush to buy again - I do have a couple of other 10 stop filters, will do a comparison at some point

Anyone use a wrist or neck strap with these cameras? I haven't attached anything yet, but thinking of a wrist strap for safety... any ideas?

I'm using a footprint (slip style) wrist strap (and a matching neck strap on the x-pro1), will almost certainly replace it with a standard one soon as the slip style is a bit claustrophobic on my big wrists (although the better half loves hers) - if you contact Clive he's a great guy and makes to order so can accommodate modifications if needed

Seriously considering the a1, a neat little camera

I had a slight concern that Fuji may not have received my claim for the free lens so gave them a call on Tuesday to check on it. The chap confirmed that they had it but said he couldn't give me any idea of when it would arrive as the black lens was in high demand. I was just happy to have confirmation that they had it so wasn't too worried about waiting for the lens... however I went out for the day and when I got home I found a nice little parcel waiting for me. I was somewhat surprised to fine it contained a 50-230 lens! Now I just need to get out and try it out.

Hopefully will be out and about with the camera this weekend. Good weather , so could go to a sports day or cricket this afternoon and see what tomorrow brings. We need to see some more pics from these 2 cameras!

Was gutted I missed out on the free tele lens offer :-(, bought my X-A1 from Fuji refurb a week before they had the free lens offer ! Otherwise I would have bought it new with the free lens.

I do absolutely love the A-X1, IQ is right up there. I only shoot with jpegs as the Fuji does a great job doing the compression. High ISO shooting is the best I've ever had ! Just jaw dropingly good ! My only grumble is AF speed, could be faster coming from a 5Dc, which by no means is a speed demon, but the MF with focus peak highlight on is great to use in difficult AF situations ! :)

Postcardcv how do you find the A-X1 compares to your canon EOS M ?

I haven't done any side by side testing so can only base it on opinion of using the two...

The EOS M has a faster AF system and I find it a bit more intuitive as I am used to Canons menu systems. Coupled with the 22mm pancake lens the M is still my go to camera when I want to stick a camera in my (coat) pocket. I haven't used the 18mm on the Fuji but would be interested to see how this compares to the 22mm on the Canon. (I used to have a Panasonic with the 20mm and found that the Canon outperformed it). On the XA1 I mainly use the 60mm f2.4 which I really like. It is a cracking lens though the slower focusing on the Fuji is a bit frustrating at times. The kit lenses seem to be very similar quality but I don't use either much so don't have too much experience with them.

Overall I prefer the handling of the Fuji and the AF speed and menu system on the Canon. In real world use the IQ seems to be much of a muchness but the Fuji probably has a slight edge at higher ISOs. If the Canon system had more native lenses the it would win out for me (I'd love a fast portrait lens for it). I can use my Canon lenses on it with the adapter and they work well on it but are big so kind of defeat the object for me. If Fuji could get the AF to be a bit snappier I would like the XA1 even more. I like both systems but neither beats the other in all aspects so for the time being I will shoot with both. What I really want is a lens like the Olympus 45 f1.8 for either system (same price, weight and quality) it's the one thing that could tempt me back to a m43s set up.

Thanks for your feedback :), am still tempted at getting the EOS M now. Like yourself I find the X-A1 AF a little slow at times especially when used to DSLR speed :), saying that my X10 has faster AF especially in low light. I love every other feature of the Fuji, the handling, af point selection is fast (press AF and quickly scroll to AF point), the tilting screen for those arty compositions, the Q button for quick access of settings, the direct controls available including two scroll wheels when in M mode, the wireless transfer (very reliable on nexus 7, a little unreliable on my S4), 6fps high speed shooting, the list goes on ! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback :), am still tempted at getting the EOS M now. Like yourself I find the X-A1 AF a little slow at times especially when used to DSLR speed :), saying that my X10 has faster AF especially in low light. I love every other feature of the Fuji, the handling, af point selection is fast (press AF and quickly scroll to AF point), the tilting screen for those arty compositions, the Q button for quick access of settings, the direct controls available including two scroll wheels when in M mode, the wireless transfer (very reliable on nexus 7, a little unreliable on my S4), 6fps high speed shooting, the list goes on ! :)

I was really hopeful that the wireless transfer would be easy to us but I have struggled with it on the ipad. I will have to try it again on my Android phone and see how it goes. I need to get out and try the 50-230 lens and see how that performs, hopefully it will be decent and give me a decent longer option on the Fuji.

Pssst... There was 1 35mm left in the refurb store ;)

I like the look of these cameras but have never had a camera without a viewfinder.

How easy is it to compose shots on a sunny day ?

Thanks

I like the look of these cameras but have never had a camera without a viewfinder.

How easy is it to compose shots on a sunny day ?

Thanks

To be honest this is what put me off until I tried doing some low angle landscape shots with the X-Pro1 and realised how much I missed the articulated screen on the D5300, then I decided to get and X-M1 (well, an X-A1 first but that's another story) as a second body so I could enjoy the tilting screen - now I hardly use the X-Pro1 and to be honest I've not thought about the sunny day issue until reading your post (even though I've used the X-M1 many times on sunny days) :)

I have no problems shooting on sunny days (X-A1), you also have the option to brighten the display for sunny conditions if you need to. I also love the tilting screen, can get some great unusual compositions ! :)

ah neither does the X-M1 :(

thats a real shame - a bit of a deal breaker for me..

XF1 it is then. :D

Tbh, why let something like that bother you? If that's important to you then do it in PP. Panoramic mode uses jpeg and usually the results imo are crap. So much loss of detail. Shoot individual pics and stitch them with no loss of detail.

Just my opinion though :)

its just so time consuming though and doesn't always work....

I'm half tempted to go for an X-E1 now...

Just received my 35mm f1.4 from the Fuji Refurb store today. Looks pretty new to me, glass looks perfect on first inspection. Lens hood and pouch are both brand new, as are all documents enclosed. Hopefully it works, will try it out later! Going to a friends wedding at the weekend so really pleased it arrived quickly after ordering on Tusday evening.

Back