The Ghost Train

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
Ghost+Train.jpg

Done in one take using a model steam engine, an electric wire for the "smoke", a diffused torch for the off lighting and all in a dark room. No photoshop layering or special effects was involved, the only thing I've done to the image was to convert to greyscale and gently "lightened" it up to bring out the detail in the dark bits. Oh, and some vignette.

The D7000 was set at ISO 100, 55 seconds on "bulb" and F11 and was taken in the RAW file format. I took about six photos where the off light was in different positions in each one and this is the one I felt the most happy with.

Nice one Ian, very effective

Morning all, glad you like it! Certainly helped me to avoid the footy last night.

Yup, that's great. Handy things those light up ropes. You've got the technique nailed, looks exactly like smoke.

Yup, that's great. Handy things those light up ropes. You've got the technique nailed, looks exactly like smoke.

Hi Paul, and your bubble/droplet shots are awesome! But, indeed, it was Matthew (MVHTM or something :D) who put the idea into my head.

Hi Paul, and your bubble/droplet shots are awesome! But, indeed, it was Matthew (MVHTM or something :D) who put the idea into my head.
Cheers. Yeh he's helped me a lot lol. You may have had the idea from someone else but you've carried it out great. It's hard not to get ideas from someone else though. I find it hard to think of stuff that hasn't been done before.

Indeed, but for now, we can have fun trying. :LOL:

Brilliant stuff Ian I really like that :)

Sent from Button Moon.....

Cheers Fred and T, I'm quite chuffed with this one. :D

Hi Ian, Great shot I really like what you have created here. The B&W treatment works well with this image.(y)

George.

Hi Ian, Great shot I really like what you have created here. The B&W treatment works well with this image.(y)

George.

Hi and cheers George. I did take a while fiddling about with the colour sliders in Lightroom to get the right sort of tone to suit the image but thought "Oh, let's just try it in greyscale" and liked it the most!

I have to admit that the hardest part was keeping the model still while I wiggled the light string around it. I've noticed that the tiniest bit of movement created some motion blur, it would only take a millimetre to ruin the whole thing. I stuck loads of blu-tak on the right hand side wheels (out of view) to keep the model as firmly attached to the surface as possible (I used an old sheet of blackout curtains for the background).

Last edited:
Oi don't go blaming me for putting mad ideas in your head :D that said I love what you've done here you've really executed it very well, getting a fantastic smoke effect out of the chimney/smoke stack...personally speaking I'd prefer to see it with a little less "smoke" infront of the subject as for me there's a little too much to the point it's almost hiding the subject but none the less some really great still life light painting (y)

Oi don't go blaming me for putting mad ideas in your head :D that said I love what you've done here you've really executed it very well, getting a fantastic smoke effect out of the chimney/smoke stack...personally speaking I'd prefer to see it with a little less "smoke" infront of the subject as for me there's a little too much to the point it's almost hiding the subject but none the less some really great still life light painting (y)

Hi Matthew! :exit: :D Yes, I see what you mean about the front end being almost obscured by the "smoke", I will keep experimenting with it until I get that "money shot". At least for now, I have the camera settings and subject all set and ready and that is usually half the hard work. But, tell you something, though, I don't half work up a sweat when I do something like this, I'm not sure if it is just me or it's these airless muggy evenings.

Last edited:
Hi Matthew! :exit: :D Yes, I see what you mean about the front end being almost obscured by the "smoke", I will keep experimenting with it until I get that "money shot". At least for now, I have the camera settings and subject all set and ready and that is usually half the hard work. But, tell you something, though, I don't half work up a sweat when I do something like this, I'm not sure if it is just me or it's these airless muggy evenings.

It's the real beauty of this kind of thing you can if so inclined keep shooting and changing what you do till you get the perfect shot :D I get what you mean about breaking a bit of a sweat as your working hard to get it all right in the minute or so your exposing, it's even worse when your doing a big light painting session outside :D

It's the real beauty of this kind of thing you can if so inclined keep shooting and changing what you do till you get the perfect shot :D I get what you mean about breaking a bit of a sweat as your working hard to get it all right in the minute or so your exposing, it's even worse when your doing a big light painting session outside :D

One way to keep fit! As I found out when I did that on the beach. Actually, I want to get back into that now.

Back