Critique The good lady wife

Name
Richard Walton
Edit My Images
Yes
Whilst away on holiday I squeezed off a couple of shots of my lovely lady wife sat on the living room fo our holiday let.
I'm particularly pleased with this one, but not sure if it's best in colour or black and white.
I'd appreciate your thoughts on this please?

1. Colour

Norfolk_Nov%2721-19.jpg

2. Black and White

Norfolk_Nov%2721-18.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

My preference is the B/W image , What does the good lady think ?

Because the head takes most of the photo the outline of the sofa is very distracting. The b&w works better in my opinion.

I simply can't figure out the expression on her face. A thoughtful long distance stare?

I prefer the colour one.

Hi Richard ... generally I prefer candid shots to posed. You should try it, shoot on continuous/burst, silent shutter if poss. Get a couple of dozen when your model is relaxed, choose one, bin the rest.

I simply can't figure out the expression on her face. A thoughtful long distance stare?

I prefer the colour one.

It's usually more like "I'm going to shove that camera right up your..." :sorry:

But if you work out what her expression means, please let me know.

Last edited:
Hi Richard ... generally I prefer candid shots to posed. You should try it, shoot on continuous/burst, silent shutter if poss. Get a couple of dozen when your model is relaxed, choose one, bin the rest.
This was pretty much how I got this one to some extent.
When I ask for her to pose, I usually end up singing soprano.
I was playing with the settings, hoping to take some scenic stuff outside the cottage we were staying in. So I pointed the camera at her watching TV. The result came from one of those "Oh come on just a quick one" requests. I'm just lucky that, as usual, she didn't pick the 1/x th of a second the shutter opens to blink. :)

That said I have to say she puts up with a lot from me and I wouldn't be without her.

I think it's a damn good portrait of a very interesting and good-looking face.. Not over-styled, which is lovely. I'd have teased her into sitting up straight and dropping her hand, but I suspect you've actually nailed her very well. Tiny detail, clone the sofa edge so there's no dip. I think it would print very well.

PS Lose the vignette and grade the wall to whit(er). The more I look at it the more I like it.

Last edited:
I think it's a damn good portrait of a very interesting and good-looking face.. Not over-styled, which is lovely. I'd have teased her into sitting up straight and dropping her hand, but I suspect you've actually nailed her very well. Tiny detail, clone the sofa edge so there's no dip. I think it would print very well.

PS Lose the vignette and grade the wall to whit(er). The more I look at it the more I like it.
That's really good of you to say. Thanks. :love:
I'll most definitely try your edit suggestions, if I ever get around to doing more.

Hers my attempt at an edit Richard :)

Original
5Ul8ixo.jpg

One minute in Photoshop 2022
wc1FRgW.jpg

Les :)

It looks a little over-processed to me, if I'm honest. It also increases the wrinkles on her left cheek too. Thanks for the attempt though. :)

Also increases details, so a realistic edit in my eyes- look at her hair & eyes . so much more detail - sorry you don't like it- I will refrain from future edits or suggestions :exit:

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back