The Inflight Thread

wow, some absolutely beauties in this thread! Had my first in-flight today, I might not have it if I had took too many tubes, thought I'd try the 31mm on its own today, glad I did, though no where as close up as some of these. Am blown away with your shots everyone, amazing!

Here's my poor attempt lol, close up, its off focus and I only managed to get one shot of it

14460543221_d8750dc57b_b.jpg

Mine were accidents lol, trying to get them while on their leaf, they decided to fly away.

I know this one wasn't actually a flight, but it was getting ready, the next shot, I had an empty frame. They dont half move bloody fast.
14397792598_0c741efbeb_b.jpg

but I did get an actual flight, well, it just launched itself away from me, bit of an unusual capture I think :)
14582573694_8577e98002_b.jpg

@Tintin124 Bryn, you're nailing these in flights shots. I tried to get a dragonfly yesterday - not in focus at all :(

@Tintin124 Bryn, you're nailing these in flights shots. I tried to get a dragonfly yesterday - not in focus at all :(

Cheers bud... Not tried dragonflies in fact yet to even shoot to shot a stationary one so your one up on me... :D

I really struggle with Bees and can imagine dragonflies are a nightmare too... my quess is AI servo/MF and 1/500s and continuous shooting.

I tried all sorts of settings. Why don't things fly in a straight bloody line, at a constant speed and height. All this flitting here and darting there gets on my wick. Selfish, thats what nature is

I tried all sorts of settings. Why don't things fly in a straight bloody line, at a constant speed and height. All this flitting here and darting there gets on my wick. Selfish, thats what nature is

Try and find a Southern Hawker or Emperor they are pretty consistent with their flight path and height whilst guarding their patch.

My settings for Dragons are usually Manual, 1/800 to 1/1650 (depending on how much wing blur I want), f8-f11 (depending on background distance) any less and you don't get whole of body sharp any more and your ISO will be too high, ISO in Auto or fill flash (zoom to max 105mm on a 430EXii with +1) with ISO under 800. Manual focus and no IS on. One shot or two at a time 1 in 5 average keeper rate with luck and practice. Continuous just means loads of the same and hours of deleting.

Oh and remember to say cheese

14695484293_2fbb43815d_c.jpg

@PINNACLE thanks for sharing that much detail. Settings very similar to the butterflies in flight I got which should mean workable. Ummm now to find some dragons. Lol

another one, got some luck this afternoon, though its not a very good shot

taken from below, was about a foot above my head or so

14700290575_69c7b32269_b.jpg

That is a shot I have been after for a while. They seem to like to hover above me.

I thought I had missed this little guy when he was on the leaf and I just composed the shot. I have <just> caught him :) Just shows, never to delete shots in camera, check them at home on a bigger screen :)

14734847273_e1dcf5a5a6_b.jpg

I thought I had missed this little guy when he was on the leaf and I just composed the shot. I have <just> caught him :) Just shows, never to delete shots in camera, check them at home on a bigger screen :)

14734847273_e1dcf5a5a6_b.jpg

Thats blooming amazing... excellent capture not seen fly in flight (bar hoverflies) before so this is a first for me.

Thats blooming amazing... excellent capture not seen fly in flight (bar hoverflies) before so this is a first for me.
just lucky he stayed in focus bryn, think i'll have to do the arched diffuser like yours, am scaring the bugs off having to get so close and the kit so bulky. Maybe I'll "tube" it somehow, kitchen rolls and perhaps some kitchen foil inside the tubes to get the light concentrated like a snoot

Love that one with all the pollen! That's like me trying to carry all the shopping bags from the car in one go (like a boss)!

Back