The John Rylands Library, Manchester

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
The John Rylands Library is a late-Victorian neo-Gothic building on Deansgate in Manchester, England. The library, which opened to the public in 1900, was founded by Enriqueta Rylands in memory of her husband, John Rylands. The architectural style is primarily neo-Gothic. The building was granted Grade I listed status in 1994 and is maintained by the University of Manchester and open for library readers and visitors.

www.facebook.com/stevegroganphotography

11967613765_13ecc19418_b.jpg

A stunning building beautifully captured.

Lovely shot mate of a place I have passed nuerous times and not been in.

Lovely shot mate of a place I have passed nuerous times and not been in.

Thanks so much. You have to go inside, I'm the same as you, I live nearby and never went in until I was passing yesterday and decided to pop in. Luckily I had my camera on me! Stunning building, they do photo tours too so I'm going to book myself on the next one and hire a fish eye lens. :)

Thanks so much. You have to go inside, I'm the same as you, I live nearby and never went in until I was passing yesterday and decided to pop in. Luckily I had my camera on me! Stunning building, they do photo tours too so I'm going to book myself on the next one and hire a fish eye lens. :)

My daughter lives down there so I am in Manchester regularly so I need to get her to enquire about the photo tours.

Well captured mate.(y)

I have had the pleasure of working in this building and seeing all the parts the public cant access, unfortunately most of the parts the public can access has been reconditioned with new stone, i assume the photo tours will take you round the older parts of the building.

Did you use a tripod for the shot ? i haven't been inside to try any photography but every time i go to the cathedral i struggle without a tripod and i assumed this would be similar, but now i can see it it looks very well lit.

Well captured mate.(y)

Did you use a tripod for the shot ? i haven't been inside to try any photography but every time i go to the cathedral i struggle without a tripod and i assumed this would be similar, but now i can see it it looks very well lit.

Thank you! Tripods are not permitted (except on the organised photography tours) but I was able to use my gorilla pod and I balanced it on a nearby bookcase. I asked permission first and the guide was very helpful. This was a 25 second exposure. I've emailed the library today about booking on the next photo tour so I can get access to the parts of the building that the public can't get to, there are some excellent vantage points.

Back