The Mill and the Corn

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Went out before sunset earlier to a place 10 mins from me but have never shot. Here is a few fom quite a few.

windy (1 of 1) by box.photography@yahoo.com, on Flickr

corn (1 of 1) by box.photography@yahoo.com, on Flickr

windy1 (1 of 1) by box.photography@yahoo.com, on Flickr

corn1 (1 of 1) by box.photography@yahoo.com, on Flickr

Had a bit of a nightmare with this one trying to get rid of the orange line to the top of the trees (wish i had packed my filters) so if any one wants a go at trying to get rid then please do.

corn4 (1 of 1) by box.photography@yahoo.com, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Rob, a nice set overall. Like the lead in line "Corn 1" but i think you've over cooked the sky a little imo.

Love the way the sun is hitting the corn in the last shot. :)
Fair play, thanks for the comment. Will have another look at the sky i think!

Thanks for that. Can you explain what you did?

The windmill should be the star of the show, but it's not. I could have rocked up with my iphone on HDR mode and taken the same shots.
You need to put more thought into composition, standing in the field with the camera at head height and just firing the shutter isn't going to cut it.
There must be something around the location you can use as foreground interest, or to create a lead in line? Tracks in the field or maybe some wild flowers, even if they're weeds.
The light on the windmill is pleasant, and technically it's well exposed, it's just lacking that something to turn it from a snapshot to a photograph in my opinion.

The windmill should be the star of the show, but it's not. I could have rocked up with my iphone on HDR mode and taken the same shots.
You need to put more thought into composition, standing in the field with the camera at head height and just firing the shutter isn't going to cut it.
There must be something around the location you can use as foreground interest, or to create a lead in line? Tracks in the field or maybe some wild flowers, even if they're weeds.
The light on the windmill is pleasant, and technically it's well exposed, it's just lacking that something to turn it from a snapshot to a photograph in my opinion.

errr thanks for that! I think! Feel a little bit insulted by the iphone comment but i will take it on the chin.
I'm not going to defend myself but i will explain the layout.
As you can see there is a rather large bush that surrounds the windmill and unfortunately just on the other side is a car park and some tennis courts so its quite hard to get a decent angle. Just to the right of the trees to the right of the picture there is a kids playground and just to the right of where I'm standing there is a cricket pitch which is currently under renovation. I think this was about my 10th shot before i was happy with the positioning of the mill as i had to battle with the obstacles without going in to tight. As for the height I set the pod to about waste height just so i was looking up at the mill rather then as you suggested face on so to speak. Unfortunately as i mentioned the sun was just dipping down behind a large row of trees directly behind me so I was struggling with the light quite a bit and had to up the exposure a tad in pp to try and bring it out a bit.
Again as mentioned in my first post it was my first visit to the location so hopefully i can be a little more prepared next time ay.

errr thanks for that! I think! Feel a little bit insulted by the iphone comment but i will take it on the chin.
I'm not going to defend myself but i will explain the layout.
As you can see there is a rather large bush that surrounds the windmill and unfortunately just on the other side is a car park and some tennis courts so its quite hard to get a decent angle. Just to the right of the trees to the right of the picture there is a kids playground and just to the right of where I'm standing there is a cricket pitch which is currently under renovation. I think this was about my 10th shot before i was happy with the positioning of the mill as i had to battle with the obstacles without going in to tight. As for the height I set the pod to about waste height just so i was looking up at the mill rather then as you suggested face on so to speak. Unfortunately as i mentioned the sun was just dipping down behind a large row of trees directly behind me so I was struggling with the light quite a bit and had to up the exposure a tad in pp to try and bring it out a bit.
Again as mentioned in my first post it was my first visit to the location so hopefully i can be a little more prepared next time ay.

I didn't mean it to come across insulting, it was more a comment on the composition than anything else. It seems they enjoy building windmills in awkward locations, our local one is also surrounded by high hedges and trees.
Next time you visit head out earlier, so you have plenty of time to wander around and see what you can come up with before the nice light arrives. Sorry if it sounded harsh, it's difficult to convey emotion in text, though I can ensure you it was meant with purely good intentions.

I didn't mean it to come across insulting, it was more a comment on the composition than anything else. It seems they enjoy building windmills in awkward locations, our local one is also surrounded by high hedges and trees.
Next time you visit head out earlier, so you have plenty of time to wander around and see what you can come up with before the nice light arrives. Sorry if it sounded harsh, it's difficult to convey emotion in text, though I can ensure you it was meant with purely good intentions.

Thank you. Will defantly do a recky next time.

Back