The NFL @ Wembley

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
A few from the Miami Dolphins vs New York Giants NFL game at Wembley yesterday. The first regular season game to be played outside of the US.

88063688.jpg

88063692.jpg

88063696.jpg

88063698.jpg

Good old English weather ...

88063701.jpg

88063702.jpg

Duncan

#2 is a great pic of the stadium. It looks pretty good set up as a grid-iron too.
Looks like you had a good time!

In a bag - they searched it, but all the guy said was 'careful using that in there, they'll take it off you if they see you using a long lens'. I only took the 24-105, so no problem there.

Every man and his dog took their P&S with them anyway, most of them probably with 10x zooms.

I was hoping you could get up, close & personal with the raunchy cheerleaders........ :naughty: :naughty:

Nice shots. Should have taken one at the end to show what those big fella's done to the Wembley pitch. Lucky boy, getting a ticket!

My mate (last photo) managed to pick up a couple of the returned tickets on Friday !

In a bag - they searched it, but all the guy said was 'careful using that in there, they'll take it off you if they see you using a long lens'. I only took the 24-105, so no problem there.

Every man and his dog took their P&S with them anyway, most of them probably with 10x zooms.

Long lens... you mean you can't take photos with a SLR with a telephoto lens on even if you're paying to see the guys playing? Come on, you should have the same right as any guy with a compact camera, be it a superzoom or not, you just have a better tool for taking photos.
Or is it just another way for greedy people to get even more money out of people, something like a double seeing fee?
That would be rubbish.

Nice shots, btw.

All cameras are supposed to be banned - there are signs outside saying this.

Of course the rule isn't enforceable - everyone has phone cameras, point and shoots, even DSLRs slung round their necks - they would have to turn away 80% of the audience.

But if I pitch up with a big white 400mm prime I think it's pretty much fair play that I would be turned away. I've paid to watch the game, not for the right to take photos. Those rights have already been sold to the media companies.

One thing i hope never ever catches on here is cheerleading :)

There's a good reason why they have cheerleaders (which I never realised are on the field the whole time - a team in each corner) - without them there would be nothing to look at for the two-thirds of the game time when nothing is happening on the field.

Thanks to endless penalty calls, timeouts and advert breaks ...

All cameras are supposed to be banned - there are signs outside saying this.

Of course the rule isn't enforceable - everyone has phone cameras, point and shoots, even DSLRs slung round their necks - they would have to turn away 80% of the audience.

But if I pitch up with a big white 400mm prime I think it's pretty much fair play that I would be turned away. I've paid to watch the game, not for the right to take photos. Those rights have already been sold to the media companies.

It's still rubbish imo if you don't plan on selling the photos :p

i dont get how they keep saying they could have sold the place out 10 times over. there are plenty of empty seats in that place. (still pretty busy though)
Also, I wondered why they didnt close the roof when it was raining. isnt that the whole idea of it?

Great photos. Would love to do a tour of the new Wembley Stadium.

Apparently attendance was 81,000, 10K short of capacity - but they had to block out a lot of seats at pitch level and also around the coaches area which is up in the stands and obscured the view of a large area of seating.

I don't think the roof closes completely, it moves to allow sunlight onto the pitch so that it grows properly.

A friend from Miami said that both teams are used to playing in the rain anyway - they've had 3 inches in the last 3 days !

With regards to lenses and cameras, I went to see the Tampa bay buccaneers play the Arizona Cardinals on the 4th of November and you could take in a stills camera (no camcorders) and a lens no longer that 12 inches. I managed to take in my 100-400 is and got some good shots. The game was fantastic and any stadium that has a full size pirate ship in it that fires tee shirts from the cannons is a winner for me....Go buccs

set coming soon....Ian

You did an amazing job here. Captured so much light and managed to keep the camera steady as hell! :)

It's still rubbish imo if you don't plan on selling the photos :p

But if you grabbed a snap really worth while, wouldn't you be tempted to try and move it on? (y)

You did an amazing job here. Captured so much light and managed to keep the camera steady as hell! :)

Not as difficult as you might think, the stadium was really well lit, much better than I expected.

Very nice pics, they look great. (y)

Also too bad ya'll had to get Giants vs. Dolphins, 'cause both teams are subpar. Well the Giants aren't too bad, but aren't too good either. That's the reason it was such a low scoring affair. Too bad you didn't get to see my Cowboys....now that's a fun team to watch. ;)

That stadium is very nice btw!

Nice shots, I can see why some photographers were complaining about Wembley due to the fact they were so far away from the action.

liam.

Very nice pics, they look great. (y)

Also too bad ya'll had to get Giants vs. Dolphins, 'cause both teams are subpar. Well the Giants aren't too bad, but aren't too good either. That's the reason it was such a low scoring affair. Too bad you didn't get to see my Cowboys....now that's a fun team to watch. ;)

That stadium is very nice btw!

NO kidding the dolphins finally won a game to be 1 and 13. Just pitiful but I'll take my Patriots any day!!! OK really I miss REAL Football but I'm trying to assimilate back into "my" culture. I still call it American Football at work and get funny looks. But who are we kidding they don't even use their bl**dy feet!

Back