The Nikon D200 - First Test Drive - What do you think?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.......

Some of you may know I recently purchased a Nikon D200 body. First impressions when it arrived was the build quality, feels different in the hand compared to the Nikon D100 but better! Its Magnesium Alloy (the body structure) instead of plastic and is supposed to feel more along the lines of holding a Nikon F8 :)

Anyway, yesterday I went to London to take it for its first test drive. First intial reactions were, woah the shutter sounds different and the Sigma f2.8 70-200mm is (imo) working to its optimum performance. The autofocus is much quicker, it doesn't hunt as much, could be due to the 11 AF points amongst being a better system. The 2.5 inch viefinder is rather nice, you can view your pictures outdoor without the need of going into shade due to reflection problem The D100 had.

Yesterday saw me experimenting with White Balance and was impressed at the quality "straight from the camera" Have to work on my low light (without flash) captures, I normally go down the route of bounce flash but yesterday tried without any flash. The London Tube is excellent if your after capturing "busckers" but had problems with noise which was dissapointing but the lightning was terrbile, plus capturing handheld at 1/25 is rather tricky for me but wanted to have a go!

I love the photography subject of "People" and well London is one of the best places for this imo. Here a few from yesterday:

All captured with Nikon D200 + Sigma f2.8 70-200mm, compressed for here

1. My favourite capture from the day
ed060806006a.jpg

2. Taken by the Tower of London
ed060806005a.jpg

3. Mobile Communcation

ed060806002a.jpg

4. By The Tower Bridge
ed060806001a.jpg

5. Never like cropping but I think this one works?
ed060806003a.jpg

6. Captured this guy but he also spotted me!
ed060806007a.jpg

7. Relaxing at Westminster
ed060806008a.jpg

8. View from standing on Tower Bridge
ed060806004a.jpg

My overall impression so far, is the image quality is something "totally different" it exposes better which leads to less processing in PS which is always a bonus for a photographer. I also love the weight of the camera with the additonal mb-d200 battery grip, it certainly helped using the D100 with the mb-d100 as I'm shakey. Lots of people hate "Big cameras" but there best suited to me.

Its quite scary that I can only capture 114 photos on Jpeg using a 1gb CF card? compared to the 300 odd I could with the Nikon D100! I wonder how many Raw will give me? I havn't tried yet!

Some guy asked me if he could have a go, if I knew the guy it would be no problem but him asking the question "How much was that camera" doesn't give me confidence in handing over the D200 to a stranger. If he asked "what do you think of the 11 point AF system" or some technical question which proved his knowledge then I may have thought (yup just thought) of handing the camera over! But not "How much was that? can I have a go?"

After I come back from holiday, I'm hoping to start studio/location photography which is the direction of photography I want to pursue. Dad is going to teach me all I need to know, so cannot wait....... Goona chill by the Thai sandy white beach and talk photography with Dad! kewl!

Constructive crititism appreciated as always......

Ed :)

Good shots, I've just bought the same camera and grip and so far I'm very pleased with it. I did a shoot today and got 400 jpegs on a 2gb card, I didn't think I'd get that many. Like you I also noticed the minmal amount of pp required compared to the D70.

Hacker said:
Good shots, I've just bought the same camera and grip and so far I'm very pleased with it. I did a shoot today and got 400 jpegs on a 2gb card, I didn't think I'd get that many. Like you I also noticed the minmal amount of pp required compared to the D70.

Thanks Hacker :)

Were you shooting on Jpeg Large? I'd like to see some of your captures with your 80-200 and the D200. I currently have a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 which I love but it needs to be sent to Sigma to be "rechipped" for the AF lock feature to work. Just glad that Sigma are honouring the issue :)

very clear and sharp, looks like you got a good bit of kit to play with

Some nice shots there, but most of them have a very cold cast - why were you shooting tungsten WB in daylight? :eek:

Or is this an intentional effect?:thinking:

Hoodi said:
Some nice shots there, but most of them have a very cold cast - why were you shooting tungsten WB in daylight? :eek:

Or is this an intentional effect?:thinking:

Hi all......

Thanks for the comments! :)

I was experimenting with the D200, being its first outing. I did exactly the same when I had the D100 and wanted to compare results tbh. Was flicking between various WB modes althrough out the day. Sometimes you get some very interesting but pleasing results :) I have before made the mistake of shooting in the wrong wb mode though :( But hey we live and learn! But photoshop can fix most of these issues :)

Back