The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

According to Fuji -
X-E1 -
Dimensions129 (W) mm x 74.9(H) mm x 38.3(D) mm / 5.1 in.(W) x 2.9 in. (H) x 1.5 in. (D)
(Minimum depth: 30.9 mm/ 1.2 in.)

X-Pro 1 -
Dimensions139.5 (W) x 81.8 (H) x 42.5 (D) mm / 5.5 (W) x 3.2 (H) x 1.7 (D) in.
(Minimum depth: 34.1 mm / 1.3 in.)

So the X-Pro 1 is bigger.

Edit: Whoops - sorry - I missed the replies to Jeff's question.... :oops: :$

Last edited:
Definitely bigger. Not sure if this comparison link will work...

EDIT: too late by a mile!

I'll post a pic of it later, but $150 is only the price of 2 pints of beer in HK :beer:
Ah - I remember - I hadn't realised you meant HKD!! My bad!

Any of you guys moved from full frame to the Fuji system? Really love the fuji colours, more so than Nikon but still unsure if it's the right choice for landscape photography.

Any of you guys moved from full frame to the Fuji system? Really love the fuji colours, more so than Nikon but still unsure if it's the right choice for landscape photography.

I'm thinking of moving from a D800 as im fed up with carrying the weight, I'm on sure a Fuji (XT1 in my case) will match up but frankly I think I'd get much more use out of a camera I can take with me more easily.

Yep, I moved from a 5d2 with 35l and 135l to an x-pro1 with 14, 18, 35 and 60 and it is nooooo much better. I'm not a landscape shooter but here are a few holiday pics. They are small files as uploaded via the app

Edit - these are straight out of camera

Last edited:
Karl, I've traded a D800 for a Fuji system, originally went for an X-Pro1 but since also bought an X-T1. I've still got a D700 system too and fully intend to keep it but the Fuji are getting a lot more use than the Nikons at the moment. There are things the SLR does better but the X series is much more portable.

I move from an Nikon D700 & D3 to Fuji,for me it was a matter of weight,my DSLR just kept left at home more & more often till i wasn't taking it out,is weight a problem in your case ?,i dont shoot much landscape,but i would say that it depend how big enlargement your going to want to make :)

I have completely dropped my FF system and moved over to the X Series. The X-T1 being my primary body and X Pro 1 backing it up. The combination of traveling light, superb Fuji and Zeiss optics combined with in-camera functions made my decision for me. It wasn't a snap choice, I just found myself using the X-Pro 1 more and more whilst my FF gear started to gather dust.

I have completely dropped my FF system and moved over to the X Series. The X-T1 being my primary body and X Pro 1 backing it up. The combination of traveling light, superb Fuji and Zeiss optics combined with in-camera functions made my decision for me. It wasn't a snap choice, I just found myself using the X-Pro 1 more and more whilst my FF gear started to gather dust.

Nick,

Thats good to hear - I'm looking at replacing a D800 with an X-T1 and have my eye on an X-Pro to go along side it - I think I saw in the XT1 thread your using the 10-24mm, how do you find it?

Nick,

Thats good to hear - I'm looking at replacing a D800 with an X-T1 and have my eye on an X-Pro to go along side it - I think I saw in the XT1 thread your using the 10-24mm, how do you find it?

The all-metal construction is very good quality and the aperture ring clicks into place positively and can be set at half-stops. That said, that can be said for all the XF lenses that I use. Initially, I wondered if f4.0 was going to be to slow. I then considered that I do a lot of my work between f8 > f22 to achieve a good depth of field and that I would seldom need to 'open it up' in contrast to portraits at f2.8. The 10-24mm is a very good lens, as you would expect to find in any ultra-wide lens you will get a bit of converging verticals however, my image of the Shambles doesn't really show that as there isn't a single building in the medieval street with a straight wall. The slight distortions disappear as you move up from 10mm > 24mm. I have not attempted to correct any of then yet in PS6 but using the Adaptive Lens Tool it is possible. Like the other lenses in the series it is very sharp which is consistent throughout the focal range and is very good with no visible fall off at the edges. Overall it is a lot sharper than my Nikon 10-24mm which I have now just sold. I really like ultra wides and this is a really useful lens to have in your armoury.

Yep, moved from D700 and all the big lenses. Now I do far more photography and grab the camera at every opportunity.

Yep, moved from D700 and all the big lenses. Now I do far more photography and grab the camera at every opportunity.

I think that's important to me, lugging the D800 has actually caused me to stop enjoying photography. When I think back to when I've previously had smaller kit (EM5,XP1 even my D7000) I enjoyed it so much more and I think a move back to Fuji would bring that back for me.

Seems I'm in the same boat as many, have a D800E and many pro lenses that just became too unfunny to haul around for pleasure. The fuji system fits in my day bag and has certainly refuelled my passion for photography - not ready to let go of the big stuff just yet but am looking at downsizing, currently considering replacing the 14-24 and 24-70 with a 16-35 and the new sigma 50

So you guys that have switched from FF to the Fuji, did any of you consider the Olympus em1 or any others before settling on the X system and what made up your minds?

So you guys that have switched from FF to the Fuji, did any of you consider the Olympus em1 or any others before settling on the X system and what made up your minds?

I tried m43 with a GH2 a couple of years back - was good but I never got on with the small dslr style form factor (same reason as why I'm using the X-Pro 1 rather than the X-T1) - also found the 2x crop factor too limiting when working with legacy lenses

I did try most of them Olympus,Sony,Panasonic,but i kept coming back to Fuji,my reason i can shoot J-peg,great high ISO,and i really like the way they bring out firmware to enhance their cameras.

So Fuji all the way now :)

I've tried an Olympus EM5 before and while it is a cracking camera (and I'm sure the EM1 even better) I tried one again last year and found that I couldn't get on with it the same - find the 2x crop factor a bit limiting at times and that the Image Quality isn't up to (in my opinion) some of the other options.

After a bad experience with an Olympus a few years ago, compounded by their laughable customer service, I wouldn't have one again. I do have a couple of 1series Nikons which I use with F mount lenses but much prefer the handling of the Fujis.

... I never got on with the small dslr style form factor (same reason as why I'm using the X-Pro 1 rather than the X-T1) - also found the 2x crop factor too limiting when working with legacy lenses

Me too. I really struggled with the EM5 - nice quality but too small and fiddly for a big oaf like me.

Plus I like shallow depth of field which is harder to get with m43. Fuji does better lenses too in my opinion.

i have just gone from dslr d700 and d300s still have a d300 just in case to an x pro1 cant say i made the wrong move at all:snaphappy:

Just a quick heads up that there are some xpro1 grips on ebay at the moment for £23.80 shipped from HK. Arca Swiss plate and access to the battery compartment. They are by Neewer so it's going to be good quality and looks exactly like the ishoot grip (which I have on my X-E1 and is brilliant). For 24 notes it's an utter steal. Already got my order in!

I have that exact same grip and it makes a hell of a difference to the handling... I managed to find a thumb grip on Amazon that was slightly longer than some of the ones I'd seen. I'd love one of the Match Technical ones but they're too much money!

Click HERE for the Ebay link to the grip.

I need to find a couple of soft releases with longer threads 'cos I keep losing mine and at £3 a pop, it's getting expensive! :D

I'm in two minds about grips. I have large hands so I can appreciate their usefulness but I bought the XP because it's small, lightweight and less intrusive than an SLR and I don't want to change that by bolting bits on to it :)

I use the grips for 2 reasons.... A: you don't have to actually grip the body as tight for fear of dropping it, you can keep your hand nice and relaxed and it isn't going anywhere... B: and the main reason.. I do a lot of studio work so the Arca plate is extremely handy for tripod use.

I need to find a couple of soft releases with longer threads 'cos I keep losing mine and at £3 a pop, it's getting expensive! :D

A mate of mine has used a tiny bit of thread lock to keep his on his X-10.

Just a quick heads up that there are some xpro1 grips on ebay at the moment for £23.80 shipped from HK. Arca Swiss plate and access to the battery compartment. They are by Neewer so it's going to be good quality and looks exactly like the ishoot grip (which I have on my X-E1 and is brilliant). For 24 notes it's an utter steal. Already got my order in!
Thanks for the nod on this. I've been looking around for one as a final accessory for my XP1 - that's just too good a deal to miss! Not sure I'l use the Arca Swiss plate, but it's there if I do!

I'm in two minds about grips. I have large hands so I can appreciate their usefulness but I bought the XP because it's small, lightweight and less intrusive than an SLR and I don't want to change that by bolting bits on to it :)

It doesn't add a great deal in terms of size but as Paul said, it can be a big bonus in terms of handling. Just to give you an idea of overall size, here's mine. :)

Interesting that you're a wrist-strap-user, Si.

I ditched the neckstrap and bought a Footprint leather wrist-strap. So much more comfortable and useable.

Interesting that you're a wrist-strap-user, Si.

I ditched the neckstrap and bought a Footprint leather wrist-strap. So much more comfortable and useable.

The neck strap is still in the box! :)

If I need anything more substantial than the wrist strap, I usually screw a Black Rapid stud into the bottom and use that instead. :)

Any wrist strap recommendations?

Simon,

I can definitely recommend the Footprint straps (like the one in my photo). Click HERE for the link to his shop on Ebay.

There are quite a few of us using them on here I think.

The pano shots look good by the way! (y)
Cheers,
Si

Back