The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

Will you be using any kind of filters with it? If so what will you be using and have you tested yet for any vignetting issues?
No vignetting as far as I can see, not sure how it would do with a filter attached. As far as filters go, I'll probably go for a couple of nd's at some point. A 4 for portraits and and an 8 for landscapes.

Had the chance to pick up the 55-200mm lens I'm borrowing for a couple of weeks this morning - only took a couple of test shots and I'm already wondering how many kidneys I need to sell to raise the funds to buy one! :D

Told you. :D

Hi All,

Had my XPro 1 a few weeks now and love it. Currently have the 35mm on it and looking to get something a bid wider for street photography and the odd landscape and indoor shots.
I'm thinking of getting the the 18mm prime, but thinking the 18-55 would be of more use. Any one got any ideas which is the better lens?
Is it worth going for the prime or zoom 'just in case'??

Thankyou!

I've got the 18-55, I used to have the 18prime, sold it, but just bought it again (its not with me yet, I think tomorrow)!!

That said, I'm not planning to sell the 18-55, but keep them both.

iirc (& I should really get the 18 to see) =

There's not a lot in them @18 f2.8, plus of course the zoom is a GREAT lens & has IS.

But the reasons I missed the 18 are:

it's small & light
f2 vs f2.8 makes a decent difference to dof
the 18 has closer focusing
the primes (imo based on owning the 3 original Fuji lenses 18, 35. 60) work a lot better with the OVF, for example the OVF frame lines on the 60 are more accurate than the zoom @ 55
There's something weird with the infinity focus with the XP1 & the zoom @ <35 ** if you put the zoom on 18 & focus on a object 50m away, the distance scale can produce a variety of distance calculations eg 3m 4m 5m 10m, I haven't really caught it not being in focus, but the error annoys me, and makes me not trust the lens with the OVF....
AF-C mode (which isn't worth a damn at the best of times) is very slow [like 12 secs] with the zoom

That said though, if I take just one lens out with me, for say a family outing to a castle type scenario, it's usually the 18-55

** it's not just my lens, over on the (obv far more Fuji-centric) Fuji X Forum a bunch of us tested this & we all found the same erratic behaviour below 35mm on the zoom

Thanks Adam for the good info.

I brought an 18-55 which arrived yesterday. Not taken it out for a shoot yet but first impressions seem like its a very nice lens.

I'll see how i get on with it and maybe invest in the 14mm or 10-24mm later on if i find i need something wider (landscapes etc).

I brought an 18-55 which arrived yesterday. Not taken it out for a shoot yet but first impressions seem like its a very nice lens.

I'll see how i get on with it and maybe invest in the 14mm or 10-24mm later on if i find i need something wider (landscapes etc).

So far my fav lens,on my camera nearly all the time :)

The 18-55 is a lovely lens, I just managed to justify having both the 18prime and zoom to myself!!

I don't think there's a bad word said about the 10-24, by all accounts - if wide is your bag, then the 10-24 should be in your bag!!!

Bit of a family do over the weekend, the second since I switched to Fuji and I think the intervening practice has helped a lot - that and the fact the venue lighting was about five stops better than the last get together. I've started an initial scan through my shots, and I have to say that I'm very impressed by the results I've got from the 55-200 on the XP1, despite pushing the ISO to the maximum and relying on the IS for some slower than focal length shutter speeds at times.

The biggest weakness I'm finding with the XP1 coming from a 40D is changing the AF point. I'm so used to the rear joystick on the 40D and having under-my-thumb one-press switching between 9 focus points. There must be a way that Fuji can provide a firmware option to improve on the down-arrow and Mario-mode way it works at the moment. Perhaps a menu option disabling the normal operation of the four direction keys and the menu button on the back to provide five quick-select focus points. Move the Menu function to the Fn button for the duration, and in an ideal world let me set-up the focus points as independently customisable for location in the frame and the size of the sensitive area. Maybe even have the favourites as orientation-sensitive.

Personally I think if I was buying again I'd buy the 3 primes - 18, 35 & 60mm.

I have the 35mm & 18-55mm but am not super blown away by the 18-55. I've tested a 60mm previously and albeit not the fastest it was super crisp and a nice length.

As it stands presently, budget restrictions mean the 18-55 stays, for the time being :)

I don't doubt for a moment the newer XF lenses are superior to the original 3 primes.

But FWIW, IMO the XP1 was designed with those primes in mind, the OVF is designed around those primes (hence the 2 magnifications & iirc the fact neither of those magnifications matches the 23mm X100/s)

YMMV, but the 18-55 zoom just tempts one to go the EVF route when shooting & if I wanted that I'd have kept the X-E1 or stumped up the coin for the X-T1

I've tested a 60mm previously and albeit not the fastest it was super crisp and a nice length

Some of my fav XP1 shots have been taken with the 60mm... don't get me wrong I love the 35, it was my first post body purchase, but something about the pop & subject isolation of the 60 images never gets dull!

It certainly isn't a speed demon, but unless you're doing a low light macro it's perfectly adequate

Last edited:

Those are the three primes I have (plus the 55-200mm - too cheap to resist as a refurb on special) and the 60mm is the weakest of that line-up - certainly in low light. With the latest firmware loaded the 55-200mm easily out performs the 60 for autofocus, even in low light.

How are you finding that particular wrist strap. I have large hands and I am finding my Paracord one a little small. After looking at the Footprint straps, I like your design with the metal fixing rings rather than the thin cord sometimes used.
I don't have large hands or wrists - I find it very comfortable.

It's taking me a while to get used to having to actually carry the camera in my hand, as opposed to round my neck (if that makes sense). Also, I'm not using the trangular strap "loops" - just have the strap attached directly to the "stud" on the body - this works for me, but I've also seen other use the "loops".

I would suggest messaging Clive who makes the Footprits straps via the eBay "Ask a question" option. If you measure your strap and estimate how much longer you think you need, ask him if he can make you one to that length. (I'm not at home at the moment, but I'll measure mine when I get home and update here if it'll help you compare). He seems a very accommodting guy, so I'm sure would oblige. Also, a huge variety of colour-ways available (leather & trim).

Last edited:
I don't have large hands or wrists - I find it very comfortable.

It's taking me a while to get used to having to actually carry the camera in my hand, as opposed to round my neck (if that makes sense). Also, I'm not using the trangular strap "loops" - just have the strap attached directly to the "stud" on the body - this works for me, but I've also seen other use the "loops".

I would suggest messaging Clive who makes the Footprits straps via the eBay "Ask a question" option. If you measure your strap and estimate how much longer you think you need, ask him if he can make you one to that length. (I'm not at home at the moment, but I'll measure mine when I get home and update here if it'll help you compare). He seems a very accommodting guy, so I'm sure would oblige. Also, a huge variety of colour-ways available (leather & trim).

Thanks for the reply.

I have spoken to Clive and he has agreed to make me one 2 inches longer than the standard ones at no extra cost. Excellent customer service from Clive.

I have a black box on the table.

In said box is a metal tube part filled with bits of carefully crafted glass.

I think it would be rude of me not to allow it to mount a body.

10-24, meet X-Pro1!!!

I do hope this 10-24 people are getting is a dog of a lens. Please can it be slow to af and be very soft...

No! Actually, yes. It's so slow it can be hand held at 1/4s at 10mm. Trying to breed an 18-135 from it and the X-T1 but not holding out too much hope. :(

I have the 35mm & 18-55mm but am not super blown away by the 18-55. I've tested a 60mm previously and albeit not the fastest it was super crisp and a nice length.

As it stands presently, budget restrictions mean the 18-55 stays, for the time being :)

It was a pain for me to narrow it down to a wide angle lens i'd be happy with. Just started shooting weddings plus do environmental portraits and band shoots. The 18mm was the cheapest option but I knew that it would end up not being wide enough for some shots. I reallyyyyyy wanted the 14mm but again it was niggling me if i'd regret not having that little extra width (if i'd never had the sammy 8mm previously i'd probably have got the 14) so I ended up going for the 10-24. Yes it's expensive but it does give me a fair bit of flexibilty at that wide end. Hence i'm sporting the 10-24, 35 and 60.

I'm also a pain in the **** for not learning more about my stuff when i'm already comfortable with it.

Who uses what mode for focussing? especially moving objects (say people walking etc)? I will now probably stick with manual focus...especially as i've just realised you can get it to autofocus even in manual. So it's manual mode, press the AF-L button to get AF on the focus point and tweak with manual with peaking. Awesome...these cameras just get better and better!!!

It was a pain for me to narrow it down to a wide angle lens i'd be happy with. Just started shooting weddings plus do environmental portraits and band shoots. The 18mm was the cheapest option but I knew that it would end up not being wide enough for some shots. I reallyyyyyy wanted the 14mm but again it was niggling me if i'd regret not having that little extra width (if i'd never had the sammy 8mm previously i'd probably have got the 14) so I ended up going for the 10-24. Yes it's expensive but it does give me a fair bit of flexibilty at that wide end. Hence i'm sporting the 10-24, 35 and 60.

I'm also a pain in the **** for not learning more about my stuff when i'm already comfortable with it.

Who uses what mode for focussing? especially moving objects (say people walking etc)? I will now probably stick with manual focus...especially as i've just realised you can get it to autofocus even in manual. So it's manual mode, press the AF-L button to get AF on the focus point and tweak with manual with peaking. Awesome...these cameras just get better and better!!!
I think i need to try that method! I like to manual focus with the focus peaking but its been on portraits so far and not on something moving.

Same way for me. I've come to the conclusion this way just seems to produce more keepers for me personally.

The other odd thing I notice is if I use the OVF/EVF I seem to get images in better focus than through the rear screen. Whether that's down to camera shake, or just the mind playing tricks, there are definitely more images in sharper focus.

Same way for me. I've come to the conclusion this way just seems to produce more keepers for me personally.

The other odd thing I notice is if I use the OVF/EVF I seem to get images in better focus than through the rear screen. Whether that's down to camera shake, or just the mind playing tricks, there are definitely more images in sharper focus.

Same here,i think its down to how the camera is held when using OVF/EVF i find its much more sturdy,than when held at arm length to compose on the rear screen :)

X-Pro1, legacy lenses and tilt/tilt-shift adapters..

Is anyone using one of the tilt or tilt-shift mount adapters with their X-Pro1?

I'm considering the Kipon tilt-shift adapter but can't decide whether to go with the m42 or QBM version (or whether getting the EOS version and matching it with an EOS-RB67 adapter would be more interesting).

Had my first decent outing with the XPro and 35 recently, I use a black rapid strap and found it very annoying that many times the exposure compensation dial had turned while not being used, sometimes I noticed before shooting, sometimes I didn't and ended up with a useless shot 2 stops under.
I've just ordered a lens mate thumb grip in the hope that it shields the dial a bit but this is so annoying.
Do any of you have this problem, could it be that it's worse because of the BR strap and the way it hangs etc.
I hate normal straps so I really hope not, and that the thumb grip cuts it down at least.

Had my first decent outing with the XPro and 35 recently, I use a black rapid strap and found it very annoying that many times the exposure compensation dial had turned while not being used, sometimes I noticed before shooting, sometimes I didn't and ended up with a useless shot 2 stops under.
I've just ordered a lens mate thumb grip in the hope that it shields the dial a bit but this is so annoying.
Do any of you have this problem, could it be that it's worse because of the BR strap and the way it hangs etc.
I hate normal straps so I really hope not, and that the thumb grip cuts it down at least.
same on my x100 and my old x_pro i wish Fuji made them locking or able to disable its function via software. i never use it anyway

X-Pro1, legacy lenses and tilt/tilt-shift adapters..

Is anyone using one of the tilt or tilt-shift mount adapters with their X-Pro1?

I'm considering the Kipon tilt-shift adapter but can't decide whether to go with the m42 or QBM version (or whether getting the EOS version and matching it with an EOS-RB67 adapter would be more interesting).

I've a kipon tilt adapter m42 fitting. I only mess about with it but it does what I want. Mine has a ball joint adjustment mechanism and I wish it would adjust with screws for more precision but I suspect I wouldn't have taken a punt on it if the cost rose. I like the m42 fitting as it is so easy to find decent lenses to try. I thought I would use it mainly with wide angle lenses for landscape work but actually prefer to use short telephotos for portraits.

Iirc, if you shoot manually the EV dial does nothing... Not a lot of good if you're a aperture or shutter priority shooter admitedly!

TBH, I was warned (by this thread as well as by other owners) about the EC dial being easy to knock accidentally so have got used to checking it whenever the camera comes out of the bag. I use a neck strap so it's less likely to get knocked while round the neck (compared to BRs and the like) but still tend to check as it's being lifted to the eye. I do think that the X-Pro2 could have a locking EC dial or at least one with a more positive detent spring to make it harder to alter accidentally (the X-T's dial is far more positive and less vulnerable to inadvertent adjustment.)

Does anyone here know if the xpro and the 18-55 will fit the fuji leather case?

It's the black leather 2 piece case, I don't reckon it will?

Hello all, I dont have an X-Pro 1 but figured someone could help me in here! I just picked up a used 35mm f1.4 and ive noticed a few things about it and just wanted to check it was all OK.

The aperture ring seems a little tough, I havent had many lenses with an aperture ring but compared to my Minolta 50mm f1.7 its a bit tough to move and doesnt seem to click onto each aperture as nicely, is this normal?
Also, I cant see the blades even when I stop it down to f12 for example, again on the Minolta you can see the diaphragm closing and opening when going through the apertures but not on this one?

Im still waiting for Wex to credit me for my part exchange so dont have a body to try it on just yet but are the above things normal? :)

Well my aperture is very light to turn but some may be different. The other issue, the aperture won't close down until attached to a body

The aperture blades, yes, they only stop down when the lens is receiving power from the body.

The aperture ring, no. The ring on my 35mm is lovely, smooth and almost buttery while still having a definite detent on each third stop. What you've got sounds like the ring on my 18mm, which I need to send back to Fuji as it's simply not right.

FWIW, I've had 5 XF lenses (incl. 2 18s - damn sellers remorse!!) with aperture rings and they all feel a bit different, some are a bit notchy/grindy others are a little to easy to turn! iirc my 35 is the Goldilocks lens!!!

Back