The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

FWIW, I've had 5 XF lenses (incl. 2 18s - damn sellers remorse!!) with aperture rings and they all feel a bit different, some are a bit notchy/grindy others are a little to easy to turn! iirc my 35 is the Goldilocks lens!!!

Isn't a Goldilocks lens one you have to send back twice before you get one that works? :D

My refurb Xp1 arrived today, looks new and has latest 3.20 firmware on it.
Just one question so far.
I have playback set for 3 seconds. If I take a shot, it plays back in the viewfinder, when I take my eye away and look at the lcd screen, it is blank.
Is this correct? I would expect the image to display on the screen too.
Allan

I have Sussed it out. If you set image review to continuous, you can view the image you have just taken, on the EVF, then when you take the camera away from your face, the image appears on the LCD screen.
If it's not on continuous, image review doesn't swap to the LCD. I have the view button set to eye sensor
Is this how it's supposed to work?
Allan

I think so that's how i have mine set,i don't tend to pixel peep to often,so i find it easy enough for me to just press the play button if i ever do need to check :)

That just seems strange. My X100s, with a similar ovf/evf setup displays new images on the LCD as soon as they are taken, as does my X-E2 without having to use the continuous setting . It's a bit fiddly zooming in to check focus etc using the viewfinder. I guess I can just press the playback button, but you get used to the way things work.
I just need to confirm this is how the X-Pro1 works before I send it back to Fuji!
With the playback setting on continuous, the image takes a second to show up in the viewfinder, on 1.5 or 3 second settings, it shows almost immediately.
Can anybody else check if their X-Pro1 acts like this?
Allan

Last edited:
That just seems strange. My X100s, with a similar ovf/evf setup displays new images on the LCD as soon as they are taken, as does my X-E2 without having to use the continuous setting . It's a bit fiddly zooming in to check focus etc using the viewfinder. I guess I can just press the playback button, but you get used to the way things work.
I just need to confirm this is how the X-Pro1 works before I send it back to Fuji!
With the playback setting on continuous, the image takes a second to show up in the viewfinder, on 1.5 or 3 second settings, it shows almost immediately.
Can anybody else check if their X-Pro1 acts like this?
Allan

Just checked mine Allan, and yes it's exactly like yours. When set to 3 sec the image shows almost instantly and when set to continuous it takes about 2 secs to show. And only transfers image from viefinder to screen when set to continuous.

Tha
Regarding zooming in to check focus, just press the jog dial and it zooms into the focus point
Thanks, I know that, it's the image review ( or lack of) on the LCD that's concerning me
Allan

Just checked mine Allan, and yes it's exactly like yours. When set to 3 sec the image shows almost instantly and when set to continuous it takes about 2 secs to show. And only transfers image from viefinder to screen when set to continuous.
Sorry Colin, looks like I was busy posting as you replied. That's good ( and bad) to know. At least there is nothing wrong with the camera, but an image review on the LCD screen like most other cameras would have been nice.
Maybe Fuji are so confident that your image will be perfect that they thought you wouldn't want to check it on the screen immediately afterwards :naughty:
Allan

It's not something I had previously noticed. I usually have the image review switched off and use the play button as required.

It's not something I had previously noticed. I usually have the image review switched off and use the play button as required.

Looks like that's the way to go then, thanks all.
Allan

looks like Fuji are single handedly trying to abolish chimping :)
I was obviously meant to buy one all along then.
Image display turned to off.
Suns out
New ( free) lens arrives today

Allan

I was a bit concerned when I bought my Xp1 last week from the Fuji refurb shop that I was buying into "old" technology. I bought an X-E2 with 18-55 last month. I was going to get the X-T1 but the free 55-200 offer swayed me with the E2. I was really impressed with it and the images with the 18-55 over the last few weeks.
Also, I have always loved the look of the XP1 and rangefinder style cameras, and couldn't afford not to buy one, especially with a £50 voucher code.
Anyway, to cut the ramble short, I have been using the XP1 and XE2 with my newly arrived 55-200 and I much prefer the majority of shots from the XP1.
So, worry over. It may have "last generations" internals, but they still stand up much better than I would have imagined.
I think I've also made the decision that my X100s and X20 will be looking for new owners soon. I'm keeping the XF-1. It's a cracking camera with bags of style.
Allan

I think the X-E2 has the same sensor and processor as the X-T1
I find focus a split second faster sometimes with the XE2 over the XP1, but it's not that noticeable most of the time. I also think I prefer the images that the XP1 produces over the XE2, especially when heavily cropped. The detail is there in both but the XP1 looks more natural.
It won't stop me getting an XT1 though if I suddenly find myself with a spare grand!

Allan

Allan, if you are going to sell your X20 do it now for the best price Fuji have stopped producing the X20 and no more models are being sent out to Fuji stockists. The X30 is on the way. As soon as that's on the shelves new X20s will be going cheap forcing down the price of 2nd hand models.

Eeeeeeeeee just bought a 14mm, just a little bit excited. Anyone want an unused mint out of the box once 18mm ;)

Edit: for rules I shall be putting up a sale ad with details later.

Last edited:
Well I ordered a lensmate thumb grip from the states a few weeks ago and it came yesterday, very pleased with it, had it on for 2 days out now and not had one accidental movement of the exp comp dial and it feels much more positive in the hand aswell. I felt it was missing something before but I'm now one chuffed xp1 owner.

Some FWIW comments!!

RE the lensmate, iirc there's some users reporting damage to the hotshoe, it does afterall put strain on the hotshoe in a plain of movement it wasn't designed for... But 1000s of happy people can't be wrong

From what I've read on DPR the jpeg engine on the X-Trans II cameras is tangibly different to the earlier models, with some perfrerring the earlier version, of course YMMV

RE AF, with the original XF lenses, the AF performance between the pre PDAF senors and the later ones isn't great.. The newer internal focus motor lenses are quicker though. The price difference between the 18, 35 & 60 vs the 14, 23 & 56 is signfigant though!

The only parts of the XP1 that are imho old tech and dont hold up well in comparison to modern offerings, are the EVF (which isn't the reason anyone would buy a XP1!) and the lack of wifi, GPS, which I'm not personally bothered about!

RE the lensmate, iirc there's some users reporting damage to the hotshoe, it does afterall put strain on the hotshoe in a plain of movement it wasn't designed for... But 1000s of happy people can't be wrong

I can't see how it can put extra strain on it to be honest, if a hotshoe can sustain a flash it can easily sustain a thumb grip, it weighs next to nothing, the thumb only rests on it there's next to no pressure needed, and there's only a thin piece of rubberised moulding on the bottom to keep it snug when in place. Can't understand the reasoning behind it causing any excess hotshoe pressure. Maybe the users that reported it have been using cheap auction site versions that need to be screwed in via Allen bolt?

Maybe the users that reported it have been using cheap auction site versions that need to be screwed in via Allen bolt?

I think this + people who grip their cameras for dear life with thumb pressure!

Remember the weight of a flash pushing down is not the same as levering it backwards

From what you've said, I doubt you'll have a problem :)

Allan, if you are going to sell your X20 do it now for the best price Fuji have stopped producing the X20 and no more models are being sent out to Fuji stockists. The X30 is on the way. As soon as that's on the shelves new X20s will be going cheap forcing down the price of 2nd hand models.
I'll probably just keep it then. If the price goes down to XF1 levels, it's not worth selling. It is a superb little camera though, too good to give away
Allan

Damn!!!!!!! Lost the rubber eyepiece thing that screws into viewfinder. Not having much luck with google, anyone know where a replacement may be and what its called?

Damn!!!!!!! Lost the rubber eyepiece thing that screws into viewfinder. Not having much luck with google, anyone know where a replacement may be and what its called?
Diopter lens
Fuji sell them. So do Wex. I just lost mine. I've complained to fuji tho as it was screwed in fully and over a few hours shooting managed to work its way free. Maybe they will send me one free....

I think any 19mm-thread dioptre-lens will fit. Zeiss, Cosina or the ones Nikon make for they're old F-series film cameras should fit, and may be cheaper than Fuji's.

The "standard" Fuji one is -1D, IIRC.

Back