The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

Lovely shots Paul.. being a fellow beardy I'd have perhaps given a little definition to the lower edge of hs beard in the first shot (pale but not bright reflector on his lap) just to give it a little lift from the shadows.

The weather was nice, so rather than go and chase snakes in the woods (it was a bit late in the day - did see a juvenile grass snake though) I thought I'd try the X-Pro1 with infrared. Conveniently the XF 23mm is the same filter size as my old Sigma 30mm, so the Hoya R72 was a perfect fit.

It seems to be a winning combination (y)

Alastair, can I ask how you've processed that?

I used to shoot a lot of IR back in the days of film, and that's just about the closest digital IR shot I think I've seen.

Alastair, can I ask how you've processed that?

I used to shoot a lot of IR back in the days of film, and that's just about the closest digital IR shot I think I've seen.
Probably because it is IR shot digitally, not a faux IR as a result of processing.

I've fitted the 23mm lens with a Hoya R72 (link to Hoya product description), converted the raw image to black and white in LR and then fudged the sliders until it looked about right!

Compared to doing this type of shot with a DSLR, shooting WYSIWYG on the X-Pro1 in Exposure Preview mode was ridiculously simple.

Did my first all Fuji x series wedding yesterday. 2 xpro1s with 18 and 35 and an xe1 with the 60 and odd shot with the 14mm. Very happy using them. Here's just a random shot that I quickly picked out to tag on Facebook. Will post some properly edited ones when I get chance. Very pleased with the results even at ISO 6400 which this one is. Better than my canon 5d2 did. Also I thought the 60 would be a struggle but it was great.

Last edited:
I was exactly the same with regards to the 60....i'd heard how bad it was focussing in low light but when I was 2nd shooting a wedding with it I found I used it more than I thought, exceeded my expectations by a long way! :)

Did my first all Fuji x series wedding yesterday. 2 xpro1s with 18 and 35 and an xe1 with the 60 and odd shot with the 14mm. Very happy using them. Here's just a random shot that I quickly picked out to tag on Facebook. Will post some properly edited ones when I get chance. Very pleased with the results even at ISO 6400. Better than my canon 5d2 did. Also I thought the 60 would be a struggle but it was great.

The weather was nice, so rather than go and chase snakes in the woods (it was a bit late in the day - did see a juvenile grass snake though) I thought I'd try the X-Pro1 with infrared. Conveniently the XF 23mm is the same filter size as my old Sigma 30mm, so the Hoya R72 was a perfect fit.

It does indeed! Have you played with many of the XF lenses in IR or just this one - and which did you use for that shot? I've been tempted to get my old D70 converted but if the X-Pro can give results like that out of the box, why go to the extra expense?!

Did my first all Fuji x series wedding yesterday. 2 xpro1s with 18 and 35 and an xe1 with the 60 and odd shot with the 14mm. Very happy using them. Here's just a random shot that I quickly picked out to tag on Facebook. Will post some properly edited ones when I get chance. Very pleased with the results even at ISO 6400. Better than my canon 5d2 did. Also I thought the 60 would be a struggle but it was great.

Hi Andy, I'm looking forward to seeing some of those shots with Fuji X cameras. Although we shoot with FF cameras at weddings one or two of our second shooters have been occasionally using Fuji X-T1 cameras with remarkable results. I will be very interested to see your work with the Fuji X system.

George.

Cheers for the answer Mr P. Might have a play but it looks like most of my lenses aren't ideal!

Cheers for the answer Mr P. Might have a play but it looks like most of my lenses aren't ideal!

I think for the cost of the R72 filter it is well worth having a play with. As long as you intend to convert to or shoot in B&W the hot spot is not too bad.
This shot taken recently probably has the hot spot more noticable than most of my others.
This is the RAW shot straight from camera (XT1) with the 18mm

View attachment 18635

Trying to do a faux colour conversion from this can cause problems but a B&W conversion hides it somewhat.

Conversion done in lightroom, all adjustments were to the complete image and nothing specifically changed for the hotspot.

View attachment 18636

The hotspot can still be seen but I don't think most would notice without the RAW file for comparison. Obviously it could be masked further with specific adjustment to the area.

Cheers for that, Colin. I would be converting to B&W rather than aiming for faux colour anyway.

It does indeed! Have you played with many of the XF lenses in IR or just this one - and which did you use for that shot? I've been tempted to get my old D70 converted but if the X-Pro can give results like that out of the box, why go to the extra expense?!
This was with the XF 23mm.

There are a couple of threads on IR photography using the XF lenses on Fujix, results seem a bit variable. I'll add the summary of reports I find below:

XF 14mm - reported on Fujix as excellent for IR using R72 filter
XF 18mm
XF 23mm - works perfectly with R72 filter (personal experience)
XF 27mm
XF 35mm - reported on Fujix as good for IR
XF 56mm
XF 60mm - reported on Fujix as having a very bad hot spot

XF 10-24mm
XF 18-55mm - reported on Fujix as having hot spot, possibly worse shorter focal lengths
XF 18-135mm
XF 55-200mm - reported on Fujix as good for IR except when fully stopped down

XC 16-50mm - reported on Fujix as good for IR
XC 50-230mm

I'll check the XF 55-200mm myself as it has the same filter thread as the 23mm and my filter will drop straight on. I'll need some step-up rings to test the 18mm and 35mm.

Mark Hilliard seems to have done quite a bit of work evaluating the infrared performance of Fuji cameras - http://markhilliardatelier.wordpress.com/

Back to the visible light spectrum, I wanted a quick shot to illustrate a recipe..

Adding the 7.8mm extension tube brought the MFD of the CZ Teletessar 135/4 HF down to where I needed it. This is a very under-appreciated lens.

Back to the visible light spectrum, I wanted a quick shot to illustrate a recipe..

Adding the 7.8mm extension tube brought the MFD of the CZ Teletessar 135/4 HF down to where I needed it. This is a very under-appreciated lens.

I like that, nice depth of field control, tack sharp, colours pop and nice processing too.

Is anyone shooting proper macro 1:1 on the Xpro-1? If so what are you using for this?

I personally feel the Zeiss macro lens is far too expensive and have been looking into some kind of adaptor and lens solution. Fuji 60mm isn't 1:1 unfortunately.

Love to hear what you are doing/using :)

Is anyone shooting proper macro 1:1 on the Xpro-1? If so what are you using for this?

I personally feel the Zeiss macro lens is far too expensive and have been looking into some kind of adaptor and lens solution. Fuji 60mm isn't 1:1 unfortunately.

Love to hear what you are doing/using :)

Can I refer you to my previous answer on the X-T1 thread - sorry couldn't resist ;)

@antc - I've picked up a full set of Rollei extension tubes for about £20 and plan on using these with my Zeiss and Rolleinar QBM lenses for macro and close-up. I've got the CZ Planar 50/1.4, but the cheaper CZ Planar 50/1.8 should be almost as good for this. One advantage of going with QBM is that Rollei produced a very simple m42 adapter that's easy to find on eBay - so one set of Rollei extension tubes with a QBM:FX adapter and the m42:QBM adapter will give you close-up and macro options for both QBM and m42 lenses.

I'm thinking the addition of a manual focus fast 50mm may be fun for a while until I decide which way I want to go with lenses for my X-Pro (ie wider or longer)...

Any recommendations you guys would make at a sensible 2nd hand cost? I don't particularly want to blow half the budget I could put towards a Fuji lens for example.

Cheers

I'm thinking the addition of a manual focus fast 50mm may be fun for a while until I decide which way I want to go with lenses for my X-Pro (ie wider or longer)...

Any recommendations you guys would make at a sensible 2nd hand cost? I don't particularly want to blow half the budget I could put towards a Fuji lens for example.

Cheers

Do you mind a larger adapter with lens or do you want it smaller? Smaller = more cash.

Superb, think Ill be getting an R72 for my 23. (y)

What do you call a sensible budget? - I paid £150 for a Carl Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 HFT (QBM), and I've paid about a fiver for a Pentacon Auto 50/1.8 MC (m42). One's good, the other's fantastic..

Superb, think Ill be getting an R72 for my 23. (y)
This was a more recent one..

I can very strongly recommend the Hoya R72 to anyone with the 23mm.

Cheers

If you can live with 58mm I found the Helios f2 (6 blade) to be an excellent lens, I have also currently got a Pentacon f1.8 but I prefered the Helios, it was nicer to use and sharper. I paid £15.00 for Helios and £20.00 for Pentacon, both minters, from ebay.

Edit: Adapters are from a tenner or so.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the suggestions guy. I'm trying to divert a few quid away (ie squirrel away before the Missus spends it in H&M :D) for a 56mm, or a 23mm, or a 14mm, or a 55-200mm over the next couple of months, so I want to keep as cheap as chips lens wise simply to have something to play with... I'll certainly check out some of the suggestions in hand :cool:

I've got a fair few street shots with my 14mm on my flickr. flickr.com/amtaylorphotography I think the 14mm is a fantastic lens. I'm not overly fussed with the 18 for street stuff as 28mm equivalent feels neither here nor there for me personally. The 14 is very different to use for street but yields some great results when you nail it

I'm recently back from Hong Kong where I used my XPro1 and mainly the 35mm and 14mm for street shots. Really pleased with the quality and performance of lenses and camera.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mmayson/with/13989133793/

Evening all, just thought I would post a little update to say I have now ordered and received a set of Pixco extension tubes from ebay from the seller a few people in this thread, XT1 thread and XE2 thread recommended. The link for the seller is here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390862652186?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&clk_rvr_id=690979401037

I have taken a couple of test shots in the house with the 60mm macro lens by itself focusing on the box the tubes came in. The box doesn't appear very large in the frame as you would expect as we know that the lens is only 1:2 macro. I then took another test shot with both the tubes on the 60mm macro (10 and 16mm tubes) and suddenly I have jumped up to having the small lettering on the side of the box being very large in the frame indeed.

So this looks good, I would say, although I am not sure how to test for this (feel free to tell me if you know) that I must have increased from 1:2 to 1:1 as I can now focus significantly closer than I could before.

I am off out to hunt for some fungi tomorrow and will be using this setup (Xpro1+60mm+extension tubes) so hope to have some shots to post up as examples to demonstrate what I am talking about. I will take some with and without the tubes although I feel at this point from only brief testing that using either or tube isn't really where the gain is here, the gain I feel is using both tubes at once to really improve the magnification.

Last edited:
Following on from my last post I have now had chance to get two of the test images I took onto my computer. The left image is taken with the 60mm macro attached to the Xpro1 body. The right shot is the same combo along with the 10mm and 16mm Pixco extension tubes stacked. Neither image has been edited or cropped in any way.

7479-1410636546-3e8adacf3ca17ae2b4ddeb92f89b666d.jpg

Last edited:
Possibly gearing up for a FF in the future maybe?
Very unlikely.. more likely that it's going to be a heavyweight monster saddled with OIS and macro focussing.

Unles they pull a rabbit out the hat at the last minute before release and announce it's really a f/1.2!

No announcements regarding updates for the X-Pro1... it seems the old man of the range has been well and truly forgotten about.

I'm wondering if now is a good time to start looking at the X-T1... shame to lose the looks and feel of the X-Pro, but the technology doesn't appear to be supportable at present.

No announcements regarding updates for the X-Pro1... it seems the old man of the range has been well and truly forgotten about.

I'm wondering if now is a good time to start looking at the X-T1... shame to lose the looks and feel of the X-Pro, but the technology doesn't appear to be supportable at present.
My X-Pro1 is still performing excellently.. but I have been very careful not to let it know that other cameras have been released since it left the factory. That way it doesn't throw a hissy fit and immediate cease functioning because newer and shinier models have appeared..

If I could have got on better with the EVF on the XPro-1, I wouldn't have changed to the XT. Yes the XT EVF is great and it's slightly faster camera, but for me I would have been happy to stay with the XP.

It will be interesting to see the new Firmware Update planned for the XT, which may push the specs of the cameras futher apart.

If I could have got on better with the EVF on the XPro-1, I wouldn't have changed to the XT. Yes the XT EVF is great and it's slightly faster camera, but for me I would have been happy to stay with the XP.

It will be interesting to see the new Firmware Update planned for the XT, which may push the specs of the cameras futher apart.

I find the XT1 way faster than the XE1/XP1/X100/X100S. XP1 was a nice camera though and dirt cheap nowadays for a 2nd body.

I find the XT1 way faster than the XE1/XP1/X100/X100S. XP1 was a nice camera though and dirt cheap nowadays for a 2nd body.

With the amount of tablets I take, I cant remember what I had for breakfast, let alone a camera I owned a few months ago.;) It will be interesting when we actually have the FW update.

I bought the X-Pro1 as a 5-year camera rather than a 5-minute one, I can understand why people's needs change - but the more I use the X-Pro1 the more I realise it was the right purchase for what I want to do.

I think was is the operable word here... It appears to have moved from a somewhat flagship range camera to a bit of a also ran in terms of updates which I find disappointing. Maybe when I bought it (less than a year ago), I didn't investigate enough, thinking it would do what I wanted it to do, but with new updates coming steadily for other bodies, I'm feeling as I'm definitely stuck with yesterdays model, and one that doesn't quite do what it should be doing for me.

Even reading about lens choice I'm getting the vibe that the X-Pro isn't the greatest choice for the newer lens releases (such as the 14mm, 23mm, 56mm etc), causing it to be a tad slower than it is currently with the original line up...

Back