The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Have you tried the m3? I had a quick fondle with one and it felt crap tbh. The vf is very gimmicky and plastic. The vf on the x30 is astonishingly good.

I have not tried the M3 but thanks for your thoughts on it. I have considered the X30 but worried about Fuji build quality and the sensor not delivering as much as the LX100 or small mirror-less could do for portrait isolation and group shot sharpness.

Last edited:
I have considered the X30 but worried about Fuji build quality and the sensor not delivering as much as the LX100 or small mirror-less could do for portrait isolation and group shot sharpness.

Fuji had an outstanding reputation for build quality here with the X10, had mine for 3 years and barely a mark on it. Seemed to be remarkably weather resistant, too; got it soaked a couple of times and just let it dry out with the lens open. IIRC it was made in Japan, maybe the newer ones are not? Portrait isolation can be more difficult, but the smaller sensor makes getting a group shot sharp rather easier, doesn't it?

The LX100 has a bigger sensor, but IIRC a shorter zoom range and wider aperture as you zoom out? It looks really nice switched off, but I really didn't like the look when the lens is extended even by the minimum amount, and I found the zoom really hard to control. However, that was just a few minutes at John Lewis...

Always liked the LX5 JPEGs, nearly as good as the X10 JPEGs. ;)

@ChrisR

Fair point on the smaller sensor makes getting a group shot sharp rather easier due to less DOF worries. The build issue qualities have arisen from the XF1 issues I have had and could just be specific to that but IIRC the X10 did have white orb issues?

The zoom you mention on the LX100 is indeed harder to use than the Fuji implementation from what I have read as it is really slow going from 24 to 75. I enjoy getting the creative shots of isolating my baby from her surroundings but obviously need to grab sharp group photos when the baby is posing with the extended family. This is far easier with my Nikon gear but don't want to take it for family outings as just a chore. The M4/3 video features are a bonus to capture motion and create short trailers of family members.

I keeping switching from the LX100 > X100T > X-E2 > EM-10 > GX7 > BREAKDOWN :exit:

The build issue qualities have arisen from the XF1 issues I have had and could just be specific to that but IIRC the X10 did have white orb issues?

I have been quite shocked by the stories about XF-1 issues, never saw anything like that with the X10. The "white orb" was a design fault in the sensor, and after a few months of silence 9which gave Fuji a very bad name on a certain forum beginning with d, they came out with a sensor replacement programme, for free. I got mine done, and it was fixed. TBH I only ever saw the problem on my camera when I was really looking for it!

I love shots of the intimate landscape.
Admittedly they are very Marmite, but the little Fuji's excel at this kinda thing :)

Here's two taken today...
Anybody care to guess what the subject is? o_O

i-M4cgRj4-S.jpg

i-NkBgGqc-S.jpg

I love shots of the intimate landscape.
Admittedly they are very Marmite, but the little Fuji's excel at this kinda thing :)

Here's two taken today...
Anybody care to guess what the subject is? o_O

i-M4cgRj4-S.jpg

i-NkBgGqc-S.jpg

Duncan,

I've seen similar on the sea shore when a certain type of seaweed dries out. I expect a sort of QI response though!

Pete

The residue trail left when a concrete mixer is washed out?

It reminds me of the stuff on the steelworks waste/slag heaps when I was a kid.

Kind of like solidified lava.

Rhodese.

Last edited:
Maybe some local stone used as a furnace wall, perhaps for charcoal burning.

Rhodese.

Here's a piccy taken last night of Mad Fi on Jacobs Ladder in Swildons Hole.
I've squirmed into a tiny cleft running parallel to the 15ft off-vertical rift. Jacobs Ladder is narrow enough that falling isn't really a problem, but getting up is a challenge especially when pushing the camera gear ahead of me.
Most of the illumination was provided by two LED video lights and the poor X30 is right on the edge of its comfort zone (so was I).
View attachment 29696

Last edited:
Just got the x20, waited to see what the x30 was like and because I prefer the OVF with overlay I saved me £200. Only issue I have with it is that I only discovered when I got home that if you switch to a JPEG only mode raw does not turn itself back on when you go back to a/s/p/m.

Annoyingly I'm on a tablet and 500px won't do direct linking but the most recent portraits/kabin shots are all taken with it.

https://500px.com/learnincurve/sets/karens_kabin

Last edited:
Has anyone any recommendations for replacement NP50 batteries for the X10/X20? I bought Energizer FLNP50 that had 1000mAh, but they don't seem available now. You can get 750mAh versions for £12-£15 or so, or no-names for a fiver-ish...

I've acquired several NP50s over the years from Fuji "F" and "X" series plus I bought a couple of "no names". On balance, if I had to, I'd splash out the extra and get Fuji made bats. The generic ones just don't hold enough charge and seem to go from 5 bars full to flashing red battery without any in-between.

Thanks guys. I lodt my original and the Energizers have done well for me. My sister's bought a X20 so I've passed on the info.

Is it possible to disable the video button on the XF1? I keep pressing it by accident as it is just where my thumb goes to when holding the camera between shots.

I can't find anything in the options so I guess it isn't possible but I have no need for video so disabling it would be great.

well, I've decided to part company with the XF1. Its been brilliant and produced some great shots but since going to Olympus, I haven't used it at all so its now in the classifieds

A question from a latecomer to the compact X-series. I picked up a nearly new mint condition X10 back in December. I have a lens hood/filter holder but wonder if I its best to fit a 40mm circular polariser filter or use the filter holder and use the 52mm one I already use on my Nikkor 50mm and 35mm primes?

While the ability to use a filter I already own is a plus, it is rather cumbersome and partly obstructs the view through the OVF and the 40mm filter does seem to be a more elegant solution.

Thoughts anyone?

I chose a Marumi 40mm UV filter on mine rather than the lens hood and filter, and I've been very happy with it. The lens cap fits over just fine.

A question from a latecomer to the compact X-series. I picked up a nearly new mint condition X10 back in December. I have a lens hood/filter holder but wonder if I its best to fit a 40mm circular polariser filter or use the filter holder and use the 52mm one I already use on my Nikkor 50mm and 35mm primes?

While the ability to use a filter I already own is a plus, it is rather cumbersome and partly obstructs the view through the OVF and the 40mm filter does seem to be a more elegant solution.

Thoughts anyone?

Hmmmm, the use of the viewfinder whilst using a polarizer on a rangefinder style camera seems to be secondary to me, as you cannot see the effect the filter is having on the scene.
I use the Cokin system filters on my X20 and always utilise the rear screen.

Rhodese.

Hmmmm, the use of the viewfinder whilst using a polarizer on a rangefinder style camera seems to be secondary to me, as you cannot see the effect the filter is having on the scene.
I use the Cokin system filters on my X20 and always utilise the rear screen.

Rhodese.
Point taken. I guess where I'm coming from is that I often "set and forget" such a filter once I've established what I'm shooting and where the sun is. But you're right about not seeing the effect through the OVF. I suppose that years of DSLR use have made me forget about the different ways of "seeing" with a rangefinder type camera.

Back