The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

?..if only the XF had a hotshoe!

If only the xf1 had a viewfinder ! I'm seriously coincidering getting a secondhand one for our upcoming trip to Oz, but worried the screen will be a pain in bright light. It looks just soooo portable that apart from having to take shots via the screen (which I don't like anyway, but prepared to adapt) I think it would prove to be a much better holiday tool than the X20, as it would be a cinch to carry everywhere. Because of that, I can see it being used a fair bit more. Of course the x20 would work but having a camera that doesn't hamper the freedom of a holiday, being able to slip into short pockets as easy and a wallet, kinda appeals really. Oh decisions decisions !! ;-)

Like the web too Martin ! And the shots previously of the insects. Unbelievable the clarity of shot close up, especially the wee spider one. Down to operator skill of course though ;-)

WHEN I finanlly get to use the X20 out and about I will just use it with a sling and won't bother with a bag. In the winter it can simply slip under a jacket or coat.

I only bought it to take photos OF... :LOL:

Like the web too Martin ! And the shots previously of the insects. Unbelievable the clarity of shot close up, especially the wee spider one. Down to operator skill of course though ;-)
Thanks Rene. I find that the XF1 takes good close up pictures of insect.....always popping out in the garden to try and find something a little different to photograph:D

If only the xf1 had a viewfinder ! I'm seriously coincidering getting a secondhand one for our upcoming trip to Oz, but worried the screen will be a pain in bright light. It looks just soooo portable that apart from having to take shots via the screen (which I don't like anyway, but prepared to adapt) I think it would prove to be a much better holiday tool than the X20, as it would be a cinch to carry everywhere. Because of that, I can see it being used a fair bit more. Of course the x20 would work but having a camera that doesn't hamper the freedom of a holiday, being able to slip into short pockets as easy and a wallet, kinda appeals really. Oh decisions decisions !! ;-)

Simple, buy both!

I took my X10 to Israel/Palestine, and found the rear screen very difficult under the bright light, so the OVF was very useful. Most people on the trip were managing with their P&S cameras though; just a little harder to see what they were doing.

I take it that we are now all aware that the raw files from fuji X cameras (excluding X10 and Xf1 which use an earlier sensor) now include within them all the data necessary to correct for lens aberrations. The latest versions of Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC read this data and apply the corrections automatically. (you can not switch it off, it is on by default so you need do nothing in lens profiles) The only indication that anything has been done is that there is no barrel or pincushion distortion when you open them.
Light room and photoshop cc also contain the same film type profiles found in camera, that are switchable during processing to suit the image.

It is interesting that the inbuilt distortion corrections are very slightly different to the "same?" corrections applied in the Jpegs. (shot raw+jpg) But I have been unable to decide which is actually better. so I have decided to not worry about it.

:LOL:

Wondering if the XF1 is ever going to get used again... :(

I have not used the XF1 in ages, pity really as it's an ideal size for a pocket. Even in average daylight out doors I can't see the screen clearly, great for indoors though. I have now put the XF1 away, and I only use the X10 now.

I have not used the XF1 in ages, pity really as it's an ideal size for a pocket. Even in average daylight out doors I can't see the screen clearly, great for indoors though. I have now put the XF1 away, and I only use the X10 now.

That's probably sealed it for me then, X20 it is, cheers.

I used my XF1 in full sunlight every day over this summer. The only thing I did have to do is up the screen brightness and ignore any blown highlights on screen. The reason was the actual photo never had any blown highlights so was just the screen brightness itself. Not ideal but usable.

Wish it was back from repair. Might have to look at an X10 or X20 as well though. :)

Yeah the x20 does deal with CA really well. Haven't noticed any changes in Lr 5.6 with regards to camera profiles for it though? Is it just CC??

I can't say I have ever noticed any issues with the screen, as above I have adjusted the screen brightness a couple of times but mostly it sits at 0.

I'm not saying the XF1 is rubbish as the image quality is very good, just the rear screen is unusable for me in daylight. I would probably only use it indoors, to make use of that wide angle bright lens. I love it for indoor use. I find my X10 is just so much better, it feels great in the hands as it feels like a proper Camera. Plus it has a handy f/2.8 at the 112mm end, and more importantly I can see the screen in bright daylight.

So I would deffo go for the X20 over the XF1 :)

I used my XF1 in full sunlight every day over this summer. The only thing I did have to do is up the screen brightness and ignore any blown highlights on screen. The reason was the actual photo never had any blown highlights so was just the screen brightness itself. Not ideal but usable.
:)

Yes I did try that option, but it just was not for me :)

Guys, I need help from someone who knows the X20 well. I have an X10, and I'm visiting my sister who has an X20. We're going to take some shots of her riding shortly. I went outside to check, and her X20 doesn't seem to be writing to the SD card. I've looked at all the settings, and can't see anything relevant. I've checked the lock on the SD card. I've put her SD card in my X10, which writes images nicely to it. I've put my SD card in her X20, and it won't write to it. Everything sounds just fine, the shutter fires away, but the little light that shows it's writing to the card doesn't come on, and image review doesn't happen; when you use the playback button, only earlier images (shot on my camera) are on the card.

Any ideas? She hasn't used it for a while. Her battery is charging, but my spare Energiser battery is is the X20, and seems to be performing nicely AFAICS.

I'm very much hoping there's an X20 setting we got wrong, rather than a broken camera. There was a setting for Eye-fi, which was on (the card is not an Eye-fi card). I've turned it off. The camera didn't write images either way. Any ideas?

Yeah the x20 does deal with CA really well. Haven't noticed any changes in Lr 5.6 with regards to camera profiles for it though? Is it just CC??

I can't say I have ever noticed any issues with the screen, as above I have adjusted the screen brightness a couple of times but mostly it sits at 0.

I do not know why fuji and Adobe are being so coy about this.
Even in CC it does not say anything about it, or if there are any differences between the CC 5.6 and the normal 5.6 version or the included raw converter. However it is clear that both CA and Lens distortions are adjusted in my CC version of both Photoshop and lightroom, and people have reported that to be the case with all Fuji lenses as well.
There is no need to call on or set lens profiles it is entirely automatic. ( i.e. do not tick the box)
I had in fact down loaded the user version profile from adobe for the X10, (same lens) and it used to work fine with both cameras, but now with the X20 it over cooks the egg and over does it.

If I was Fuji/Adobe this would be something I would shout about. if only to let users know what was going on......
I suspect the same is true with the associated silkipix converter, but I do not know if any other converters have taken advantage of the data set.

Guys, I need help from someone who knows the X20 well. I have an X10, and I'm visiting my sister who has an X20. We're going to take some shots of her riding shortly. I went outside to check, and her X20 doesn't seem to be writing to the SD card. I've looked at all the settings, and can't see anything relevant. I've checked the lock on the SD card. I've put her SD card in my X10, which writes images nicely to it. I've put my SD card in her X20, and it won't write to it. Everything sounds just fine, the shutter fires away, but the little light that shows it's writing to the card doesn't come on, and image review doesn't happen; when you use the playback button, only earlier images (shot on my camera) are on the card.

Any ideas? She hasn't used it for a while. Her battery is charging, but my spare Energiser battery is is the X20, and seems to be performing nicely AFAICS.

I'm very much hoping there's an X20 setting we got wrong, rather than a broken camera. There was a setting for Eye-fi, which was on (the card is not an Eye-fi card). I've turned it off. The camera didn't write images either way. Any ideas?

Sounds like you have done all the checks that are necessary. I can find no setting on the camera that switches off the write to the card... as it reads back from your card the contacts must be ok.
It would seen that you will need to have it fixed by fuji service, it would be worth phoning them.
Fuji UK Customer services 08445532322

or go to http://camerarepair.fujifilm.co.uk/

Last edited:

7433-1410344059-950817d30344796328dd63df35644c17.jpg

Just done a quick back to back test with my XF1 and my X10, nothing too serious just done in fun really. I tested both in bright sun light, and tested both indoors just messing about really. For the usability, and for the fun factor, oh and the buttons and knobs mess about ability and for for the all over feel factor.

If I was taking a Camera to the park, my choice would be my X10. If I was taking a Camera to a family do, my choice would be my X10. if I was going to do a family portrait, my choice would be my X10

If I was going to get a photo of a dimly lit tiny room, I would use the XF1. If I was going to use a camera as a door stop, I would use the XF1. But if the XF1 was propping the door open, I would still end up using the X10.. The last bit was of course a joke :rolleyes:

So that all said, I am sure the X20 will be an even bigger improvement.

PS

The XF1 is not really that bad, it's just my X10 is so much better ;)

Can you do a factory reset on the camera to see if that joggs it back to life?

I prefer the working of the x20 but the rendering of colours etc from the XF1. The pics do seem sharper from the x20 though so the lack of AA filter does work. Lightroom really alters my pics from the x20 where as it didn't change too much with the XF.

Sounds like you have done all the checks that are necessary. I can find no setting on the camera that switches off the write to the card... as it reads back from your card the contacts must be ok.
Can you do a factory reset on the camera to see if that joggs it back to life?

I've finally managed to get some shots. It was set to "best frame capture". The clue was when I set my X10 to the same setting (which is what my sister wanted), and it didn't write either (no idea why), which prompted me to explore the other "drive" settings. Seems to have worked fine on the "continuous" settings. I've got a ton of shots on her X20 at 3 fps, and then another ton at 6fps, of a riding lesson. No idea whether what I was taking was what was wanted, or indeed whether it was in focus! The inside school stuff was rear screen, the outside using the OVF, as even with the screen in "sun" mode it wasn't bright enough to frame a moving horse at varying distances in the bright light.

Just checked my x20 and it saves the sequence just fine... but I have no idea what it does or what criteria it uses for what. It seems to save all the frames?

Peter, Some amazing shots with your xf1.

Back