Critique The old cider jug

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
This is my first real attempt at trying to make an image 'look' like an oil painting. I think it fails to do that mainly due to the texture not giving the image a canvas style or feel. I don't really go in for using smudge or liquify tools either, I prefer a more realistic feel. What do you guys think, does the image work as a piece of wall art ie is it convincing enough not to look like a photograph trying hard to look like something else?

View attachment 19160

The shadows spoil it ... they're far too harsh in my opinion. Was this flash lit?

In that case try drawing the curtains and going with a slower shutter speed or adding a weak filler flash shooting away from the subject and into a reflector on the left.

Actually the curtains are drawn - the dark shadow at the back is the curtain. I wanted the background to darken but maybe this is too much? Behind this is a blank plaster wall and a radiator, so I thought a dark background would be better. I keep saying to myself that I should get one of those painted flexible backgrounds that can fold up, maybe this image is one that would have benefited from that.

Here is another picture with the same set up but with the addition of a piece of black velvet draped over a chair to make a background.

View attachment 19162

Last edited:
I really like the second one.

In the first one I think you are close to the effect you are after. Could you use something out of shot on the left to reflect some light back to soften the shadows?

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Ifc - yes I see what you mean about the angle, I'll keep that in mind next time I do one of these.

Idle - A reflector to the left may have helped, something else I will try I think.

The shadows spoil it ... they're far too harsh in my opinion. Was this flash lit?

In that case try drawing the curtains and going with a slower shutter speed or adding a weak filler flash shooting away from the subject and into a reflector on the left.

The shadow are too deep, but it also seems a little too close for me, and maybe a highish on the angle.

I think you miss the point. He clearly said he was trying to emulate a certain style, yet you criticise the image without knowing what that certain style is. For all you know, he may have got it bang on. A great many famous still life paintings used direct sunlight and had such harsh shadows.

My only concern here is that your processing has destroyed the quality. It may be the JPEG compression, but the shadow detail looks decidedly sh*t.

Back