the rainbow that got away

Yes - this is a much better picture of a rainbow than your other one:clap::)

Colours again good.

Re composition - if that is the right word - ?would it be a stronger image if you flipped it horizontally?

I say that because I understand (ie I read it recently) that the strongest part is potentially the bottom RHS thirds cross-section. If you fliopped it then the end of therainbow would be there and the rainbow itself would 'close off' the image - I think the term is 'provide a stopper'

Yes - this is a much better picture of a rainbow than your other one:clap::)

Colours again good.

Re composition - if that is the right word - ?would it be a stronger image if you flipped it horizontally?

I say that because I understand (ie I read it recently) that the strongest part is potentially the bottom RHS thirds cross-section. If you fliopped it then the end of therainbow would be there and the rainbow itself would 'close off' the image - I think the term is 'provide a stopper'

:plus1:

i was taught that all viewed items are read from left to right..as we read our books
and that ascending diagonals are cheering and descending depressing...etc
just some old rules from camera club... and i seem to be bound by them and offer them as worn out cliches in my own critiques of others shots
but!!!
i can see your idea of the eye being led to the farmhouse...and that does seem valid too!...maybe even more so
cheers
geof

Last edited:
I see what you mean about the composition but think i prefer the first one. Instead of leading to the house, the rainbow springs from it :). Also i don't like flipping landscape picture because they to relate to the real world and if you know a place it feels wrong to look a mirrored image.

Nice and very vibrante rainbow, you've got there. The wall in the foreground is a bit distracting. A shame you cannot cut it without sacrifying too much foreground but a nice capture you have there!

Last edited:
Some of the best shots in photography are made when the so called rules are broken!!!

For me it's a great shot Geof either way round.(y)

George.

That was a surprisingly effective flip Geof, and well done to Chris for suggesting it. For me the photo is now of the end of the rainbow landing, rather than the rainbow shooting out of the photo as it was in the first one. Hang them both on your wall and see what people prefer!

Thanks Geof for showing the two treatments.

For me both are valid but is a good example of where the title is important. As peter implies the title of the revised version could be (eg) 'The house at the end of the rainbow' and is something that the people who actually live there might like to have on THEIR wall

I see what you mean about the composition but think i prefer the first one. Instead of leading to the house, the rainbow springs from it :). Also i don't like flipping landscape picture because they to relate to the real world and if you know a place it feels wrong to look a mirrored image.

Nice and very vibrante rainbow, you've got there. The wall in the foreground is a bit distracting. A shame you cannot cut it without sacrifying too much foreground but a nice capture you have there!

thanks for the input re: to flip or not to flip
the folks in the house may not see it as they do when flipped though...and since its a record shot... i will call duffer and say it has to be as it is...meh!

the wall i darkened as much as i could

Some of the best shots in photography are made when the so called rules are broken!!!

For me it's a great shot Geof either way round.(y)

George.

thanks...now the dust has settled i feel better

That was a surprisingly effective flip Geof, and well done to Chris for suggesting it. For me the photo is now of the end of the rainbow landing, rather than the rainbow shooting out of the photo as it was in the first one. Hang them both on your wall and see what people prefer!

you have taken the second view which i have leaned towards as better photographically, in hindsight

Thanks Geof for showing the two treatments.

For me both are valid but is a good example of where the title is important. As peter implies the title of the revised version could be (eg) 'The house at the end of the rainbow' and is something that the people who actually live there might like to have on THEIR wall

i tend to think they may wonder why the layout is different of the buildings...
all in all i guess its a lesson to me
thanks all
cheers
geof

All good stuff - just shows there is no ONE correct answer to all this stuff - you just have to go with what YOU like and enjoy it.

All good stuff - just shows there is no ONE correct answer to all this stuff - you just have to go with what YOU like and enjoy it.
its all i have left, Chris...:(

:D

Back