The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

For the upcoming wide aperture telephoto, what do people expect? 90/2? 85 seems a little close to 55, but it might be ok...

Either way, I hope it lives up to the 55/1,8 - a stellar lens.

85mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 85mm f2 or a 90mm. Anything in that range would be fine and doubly so if they do a f2 or wider.

As I've probably said before, I don't need a lens that aiming to be in the 10 ten lenses ever made and something of the optical quality of my old Sigma 50mm f1.4 HSM would be good enough if they could keep the bulk down in keeping with the A7 body.

Last edited:
Sony announced that a new 28-135mm f/4.0 Power Zoom lens is under development. Presumably, it'll be aimed at video shooters.

I want a 150mm or 200mm f4 OSS macro.

A decent wide-angle zoom is missing, and if Sony can make something like a 14-24 f4, with OSS, I think it'd sell well. Main thing is that it's optically good. We already know it'll be expensive :)

Yes, and I'd like it in my hands in time for the easter break, please :) (wide zoom)

trey radcliffe uses the current 11-18? ultra wide angle mostly ok on his a7r

and for a wide angle prime just buy a sigma dp1 merrill :)

If one is after the A7s purely for its 4k video capabilities surely at half the price and better lens line up the GH4 seems the better option?

trey radcliffe uses the current 11-18? ultra wide angle mostly ok on his a7r

and for a wide angle prime just buy a sigma dp1 merrill :)

Thanks for pointing this out, I really wanted a wide option for next weekend and this might do the trick

If one is after the A7s purely for its 4k video capabilities surely at half the price and better lens line up the GH4 seems the better option?

Yes maybe but if one needs shallow depth of field and excellent low light capability...

Personally video never excited me and I know the GH series have excellent video capability. A7s stills should be ultra clean but for the most part the standard A7 should satisfy me at least!

Just got my camera back after repair due to "water ingress". It has had a new main PCB and rear control assembly fitted. £175. I am ashamed to say I ran out of steam complaining about the lack of weather sealing and paid up.

Lovely to have it back though.

New member, just joined. I bought a Sony A7R a few days ago. I had been happy with my NEX7 and wanted to move to full frame. So far so good. I have the FE 24-70 and Sigma 105 DG HSM Macro with a E to A mount adaptor (Sony)
I will let you know how I get on with it.

New member, just joined. I bought a Sony A7R a few days ago. I had been happy with my NEX7 and wanted to move to full frame. So far so good. I have the FE 24-70 and Sigma 105 DG HSM Macro with a E to A mount adaptor (Sony)
I will let you know how I get on with it.
Welcome to the board and our little corner.....
Snap and post away.

Just a quick post on battery life...

I've always left the batteries in my cameras unless they're not going to be used for quite some time but the A7 does seem to drain batteries so now I take them out and suddenly my batteries last a lot longer when I go out with my A7 :D

Good to have that confirmed, I thought I was seeing the same thing with my batteries. :)

any ex or current D800 owners have one of these, A7R? Im on the edge of getting one and flogging off all my nikon gear. Any regrets? The panamoz body only price is hard to ignore and i can use my leica lenses to tide me over till im happy with what Sony seem to be releasing.

Good to have that confirmed, I thought I was seeing the same thing with my batteries. :)

Yes, it'd be interesting to know what the camera is doing whilst it's supposed to be turned off.

any ex or current D800 owners have one of these, A7R? Im on the edge of getting one and flogging off all my nikon gear. Any regrets? The panamoz body only price is hard to ignore and i can use my leica lenses to tide me over till im happy with what Sony seem to be releasing.

Can't really help with Nikon v Sony A7 but if it helps at all I ditched my 5D and all my lenses for an A7, a kit lens and legacy primes. For what I use it for I find that manual focus with the magnified view and peaking works fine.

did you keep any of the canon lenses for a time? I've a nice wide angle 16-35 but its a bit of a beast and wondered how it would sit on the Sony. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned something about a a reinforced lens mount on the body to handle bigger lenses with adaptors. Manual focus doesnt bother me, auto would be better but im happy enough to spin a focus barrel around :)

did you keep any of the canon lenses for a time?

Nupe.

I had... 5D, 20mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4, 150mm f2.8 macro, 12-24mm, 20-35mm and 70-300mm but to be honest I never really felt comfortable with the big fat DSLR experience even though that's what I had since the 300D and as a result I only used the 5D set up now and again after MFT came out and once it did I mostly used MFT and manual lenses.

I must admit that the 5D and especially the Sigma 50 and 85mm f1.4's gave amazing quality but these days I seem to be just as happy with the A7 and old manual focus primes.

Last edited:
did you keep any of the canon lenses for a time? I've a nice wide angle 16-35 but its a bit of a beast and wondered how it would sit on the Sony. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned something about a a reinforced lens mount on the body to handle bigger lenses with adaptors. Manual focus doesnt bother me, auto would be better but im happy enough to spin a focus barrel around :)

I'd definitely recommend trying before you buy. Image quality is great but the camera has some quirks control wise (it loves 1/60th second as for a start).

Manual focusing is very easy in low light indoors, but I struggled outdoors with the evf to the point that I needed to zoom in on most shots to check focus, which was unacceptable to me (I prefer the traditional approach of relying on a quality ovf and matte screen). YMMV! I also disliked the fact that the evf became washed out in bright light. Not a major issue with AF lenses though of course.

What I'm sure you would appreciate is the reduction in size and weight. Definitely try before you buy though, I lost quite a bit of cash selling my a7 and am ultimately back with my 6D for serious work and mft for fun.

Manual focusing is very easy in low light indoors, but I struggled outdoors with the evf to the point that I needed to zoom in on most shots to check focus, which was unacceptable to me (I prefer the traditional approach of relying on a quality ovf and matte screen). YMMV! I also disliked the fact that the evf became washed out in bright light. Not a major issue with AF lenses though of course.

What I'm sure you would appreciate is the reduction in size and weight. Definitely try before you buy though, I lost quite a bit of cash selling my a7 and am ultimately back with my 6D for serious work and mft for fun.

I'm not going to revisit this debate except to add balance by saying that YMMV is putting it mildly and having used all kinds of RF's and SLR's personally I find the A7 is the most accurate camera for manual focus that I've ever used as wth the magnified view you can focus better than can ever be possible with any OVF system no matter what it's fitted with simply because you're viewing a greatly magnified image and with focus peaking you can focus accurately by watching a wave of peaking pass over the image. It's simply a better way to manually focus.

My first out-going with A7R + TSE24II

_DSC0007_zpsba44d4ae.jpg

_DSC0002_zps95b41656.jpg

_DSC0008_zps61d6fe17.jpg

_DSC0009_zps6a875978.jpg

I don't know my impression yet, the weather is very hot and i was sweating, dusty, i don't have a plate for this to put on tripod, and i forgot that standard Manfrotto cameras plate so i was carrying the Manfrotto tripod pointless, all these are handheld.

Couple of macro shots using the Sigma 105mm HSM on the A7R. The Manfrotto keeps the Camera nice and steady for these 1 sec + shots but the lastolite pod is a bit wobbly . Could do with some more watts. Feel free to say anything you like . I do know how much of a beginner I am :)

13940326435_835913c905_z.jpg

13890741146_e347224485_z.jpg

13857280934_8dac77574e_z.jpg

thinking I might get a viewfinder magnifier for my a77, might help with mf and comfort, if its got a good eyecup that fixes the evf in sunlight issue :) and mag should help mf.

oh and trey radcliff uses a7r rather than his d800..

1.0.2?

I did it on my A7 about a week ago and it turns on a lot faster. I've not used and AF lens since and don't shoot JPEG, so I don't know how much difference it has made to those.

I updated mine when the update came out. The only difference I see is that the camera sems faster to start up than before.

I'm still waiting for back screen off to be available via a custom button :D

By the way -

I read on a rumour site that there may be 14 FE lenses this year. That would probably be a record especially as we're heading towards May now but any new additions to the lens line up could be interesting.

I went for a walk with my A7 and Minolta Rokkor 85mm f2. I haven't used this lens much so I was glad of a sunny day and some free time.

I'm not going to pretend that this lens is as good as my (now sold as it was a part of my 5D gear) Sigma 85mm f1.4 because it isn't, and at f2 it's a country mile behind the Sigma at f1.4 as there's just too much softness and glow/bloom but once it's stopped down a bit it's really rather good :D

I took all shots at f4 or wider and I think that this one was indeed at f4, if not it's f2.8 but I think f4 :D

Whole image.

100% crop.

I'm considering selling my RX1 and my Leica Summarit M 50mm and buying the FE 35 and 55 lenses for my A7R. Reason - I found myself missing quick shots due to the two-button-press focus magnify function when using the Leica lens. It's an astonishly good lens, and very small, much smaller than the Sony FE 55, and if I have time & am in control of the situation I can get cracking pictures from it. But when in a pressure situation it's just too tricky to manually focus fast, and focus peaking isn't accurate enough at wide apertures.

So today I tried the 35 and 55. Both turned in excellent image quality - really very very sharp and the 55 is easily as good as the Summarit 50. Autofocus was pretty quick - I have the updated v1.02 firmware installed, and accurate as well.

I won't need the RX1 as it's got a 35mm lens so I'd be doubling up, though I'll miss the 1/2000th flash sync speed, so that'll pretty much pay for the two lenses.

Anyone got any opinions on this, or experience having done the same thing? Thanks!

Turn on auto magnifier then you just start focusing and it auto zooms in for you.
But saying that i love my 35mm FE, a fantastic lens and rapid AF, the 55 is as good if not better, i don't have that as its not a focal length i use enough to need a prime.

Back