The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Great combo, I didn't think the FOV would be one I'd use that much, but 55mm on full frame I'm finding very creative for general shooting. I've actually purchased a Sony A6000 & Sony 10-18mm as 2nd body as I never take the 55mm off my A7 :)

I recommended the Sony A6000 for my friend, he off out with me this weekend for some lessons :D

One of the last shots I've taken with my A7 & 55mm

14594816561_791ab2b00c_c.jpg

Great shots guys :D

Can anyone recommend a smallish bag for an A7+lens and two lenses?

I normally have my A7 with 50mm attached in a bag and in the winter it's easy to put a 85mm in one pocket and a 28mm in another but in summer when I'm not wearing a coat... I haven't got a suitable bag to take everything. The lenses are all small Rokkor / Zuiko legacy lenses.

I have a Crumpler that's an older design similar to this, which is perfect for lightweight travel

http://www.crumpler.eu/index.cfm?seite=photo-sling-bags&Jackpack-9000&sprache=EN&productID=7986

It'll take the A7 (or a Canon A1) with an FDn 50/1.4 mounted, plus a couple of smaller primes, like my FDn 24/2.8, 28/2.0, 85/1.8 or 135/2.8, with a few Nik naks like spare batteries or a few rolls of film. It will accommodate any of these mounted on the camera.

It's not big enough to comfortably fit any of the larger lenses like my 200mm f/4, 85/1.2L or 135/2.0, but I have a different bag for when I'm taking those out with me.

Edit: The biggest problem I have with Zuikos I own is finding somewhere to put the lens hoods. Plastic FDn ones usually stow neatly reversed on the lens, but the beautiful metal hoods for OM lenses are harder to find space for.

Last edited:
Ta. Will take a look at them.

I don't usually bother with lens hoods. If I do use them I use metal ones off ebay and remove the original lens cap and fit the hood with appropriate cap. All I have to do then is remove the cap and put it in my trouser pocket and swap the hood + cap over if I change lenses.

You have a FD 85mm f1.8? I fancied one but I've read that it's a bit soft wide open by design and needs to be stopped quite a bit to be sharp, is this true? On the positive side I've read that fringing is well controlled.

I have a 85mm f2 Zuiko and it's a bit soft at f2 and the fringing is bad around high contrasts. My Rokkor 85mm f2 is much sharper with a lot less fringing. I've always fancied getting some FD's but I'd want 28, 50 and 85mm and the reviews I've read of the 85mm f1.8 softness put me off. How do you find it?

Last edited:
I use a ThinkTank Retrospective 5, enough room for the body with a lens fitted and a spare lens or two, plus spare batteries. Doesn't stand out as a camera bag either which is what i wanted fantastic quality as well.

I took it on my recent holiday and had the A7R fitted with 24-70, the 35mm, and my suncream and bottle of water, couple of spare batteries and a CPL filter. The strap is especially comfy on the shoulder.

Last edited:
I've just bought another bag, the ThinkTank Retrospective 20.
The ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover i30 was getting too full with my 70-200mm lens :(

Off to Lake Garda, Italy, at end of this month for family holiday. Sure to be many long days on the boats so thinking about battery.
I could either get a spare, get the grip with a spare or get a USB charger.

Was thinking about this USB charger as I could use it for other gadgets. http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/kit-high-power-10400mah-dual-usb-portable-charger-p39423.htm
Anyone know of any reason why this might not give me a good result?

Last edited:
Ordered the TriggerTrap kit for my camera today, cant wait to try it out, some long exposures, star trails, and time lapse.

Can I be in this gang now I'm the proud owner of a shiny brand new sony A7 :)

Can I be in this gang now I'm the proud owner of a shiny brand new sony A7 :)
Excellent news, have you moved from a DSLR?
I'm so impressed with my A7 but know that once I improve my photography the real rewards of the A7 and lenses will speak for themselves. :)

I still have a dslr but have moved from mft to ff it's exciting

I still have a dslr but have moved from mft to ff it's exciting
Ahh excellent.... I moved from a Nikon collection (DX) to the A7, zero regrets so far.

You should notcie the quality over MFT... maybe it might be enough for you to invest fully in Sony? ;)

Can anyone point me in the direction of a cheap & cheerful flash unit that fits the A7.

Sony's F20M entry level costs around £100-120
Nissin has a really nice offering which is very compact but your talking around £170

I am not sure if there is anything that cheap ....... do you really need a flash, can't you get away with higher ISO?
I do use the higher ISO a lot, & the results are still good, but on previous cameras the basic flash unit was good enough for fill flash & a few trick photos, & I miss that. I really don't need a special flash. I have had them in the past & been happy with them, but mostly a basic flash does the trick.

Hi all , so iv bought a a7 which is in my oppinion mega however I have only 2 Mf lenses for it so am planning to buy more
I like the Mf thing so am looking for oppinion on a good wide lens and a good everyday af lens that's not stupid money please

Hi all , so iv bought a a7 which is in my oppinion mega however I have only 2 Mf lenses for it so am planning to buy more
I like the Mf thing so am looking for oppinion on a good wide lens and a good everyday af lens that's not stupid money please

Manual focus?

Olympus Zuiko, Minolta Rokkor and Canon FD are amongst the most common.

I have Zuiko and Rokkor and the Zuiko's look lovely and are very compact but the Rokkors are usually better, the 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f2 certainly, IMVHO.

When you say wide how wide do you want? You can probably get a 28mm f2.8 for under £30, a 24mm will probably cost you about £90-100 and anything wider will be rarer and more dosh. I used to like wide and shot with a Sigma 12-24mm on both Canon 20D and 5D but these days 24mm feels a bit wide and 28mm seems nearer the mark.

For an everyday lens I use a 50mm f1.8 which cost £15. A 50mm f1.4 will probably cost about £60. I have both Rokkor and Zuiko and the Rokkor is sharper at f1.4.

Last edited:
Well I'm currently using a contax g 45 & 90 so I'm looking for wider than that really 28 sounds good I'll look into it , I'm also thinking as I said of getting a auto focus native lens for "snap shots " of the dog ect but I'm not willing to blow big money on that ...

I bought the 28-70mm kit lens for occasional use, but so far occasional use is so occasional that I haven't used it yet. It seems ok though for a standard zoom.

I don't know what adapter you're using but it might be something to factor in. Do Contax do a 28mm? If you go for anything else you'll probably need another adapter. I have a cheapo ebay adapter for the Rokkors which cost about £10 and it works at 28mm but vignettes at 24mm. I also have Novoflex adapters for both Rokkor and Zuiko and they work at 24mm, they're expensive though at about £100.

The contax lens adaptors are really fiddley ( metabones) I'll be buying another one and keeping it on the lens permanent

Guys i'm thinking of getting the Sony 70-200. For those of you with them how are you carrying it is your strap still just attached to the camera body. I already think the mount interface is a bit weak. I'm thinking it would be better to attach the strap to the tripod collar.

Last edited:
Guys i'm thinking of getting the Sony 70-200. For those of you with them how are you carrying it is your strap still just attached to the camera body. I already think the mount interface is a bit weak. I'm thinking it would be better to attach the strap to the tripod collar.

Hiya,

I havent had a chance to use mine in anger yet but I feel that having the lens dangle from the body isnt recommended/good idea.
It also states in the lens manual that when in use, you should support both the body and lens with your hands.
Bought a Black Rapid sports strap, just attach it to the lens tripod mount and use when required.
I've left the main body camera strap on for now for when im using the Zeiss 24-70mm & 55mm.

You will NOT be dissapointed with the Sony FE 70-200mm, it is one hell of a lens. :)
I do hope Sony release a Teleconverter for it though just for that extra reach.

Hiya,

I havent had a chance to use mine in anger yet but I feel that having the lens dangle from the body isnt recommended/good idea.
It also states in the lens manual that when in use, you should support both the body and lens with your hands.
Bought a Black Rapid sports strap, just attach it to the lens tripod mount and use when required.
I've left the main body camera strap on for now for when im using the Zeiss 24-70mm & 55mm.

You will NOT be dissapointed with the Sony FE 70-200mm, it is one hell of a lens. :)
I do hope Sony release a Teleconverter for it though just for that extra reach.

Should be ordering soon, can be had for £878. I was thinking for extra reach just enable crop mode and get 300mm equivelent then still 24MP on the A7R as well.

I make my own straps so they're not a problem. Just need the little thing to connect it to a tripod mount.

Back