The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Wow, that's quite a collection of legacy glass :)

Only an idiot like me would buy three almost identical lenses in multiple focal lengths.

How's the AF 55mm f1.8 going?

I keep being tempted and I may well buy some AF lenses when/if there's a 28mm f2.8 and 50/55 and 85mm f1.8's. I think that the current 35mm although lovely is maybe a bit too close to 55mm for me. I do like using the manual lenses and when I'm out by myself they're perfect but when I'm with anyone else I'm conscious that I take to much time. My GF shoots a lot more than me with her ipone but each shot seems to just take her 2.2 seconds rather than the palaver I go through with my manual stuff.

A7+Minolta 50mm, or maybe Minolta 85mm. I forget.

Amazing sharpness and detail from this old lens, 100% crop...

Last edited:
Only an idiot like me would buy three almost identical lenses in multiple focal lengths.

How's the AF 55mm f1.8 going?

I keep being tempted and I may well buy some AF lenses when/if there's a 28mm f2.8 and 50/55 and 85mm f1.8's. I think that the current 35mm although lovely is maybe a bit too close to 55mm for me. I do like using the manual lenses and when I'm out by myself they're perfect but when I'm with anyone else I'm conscious that I take to much time. My GF shoots a lot more than me with her ipone but each shot seems to just take her 2.2 seconds rather than the palaver I go through with my manual stuff.

A7+Minolta 50mm, or maybe Minolta 85mm. I forget.

Amazing sharpness and detail from this old lens, 100% crop...

The Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 hasnt has much more use since Tour de France but the results were outstandingly sharp.
The lens is a very high quality construction and isnt that heavy/large.
I can highly recommend it as a must have lens for the A7 series of camera's.

Most of the following photo's were taken with the Zeiss 55mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rizvanhussain/sets/72157645133468679/

:)

Off the top of my head...

C/Y

Contax Zeiss28mm f/2.8 Distagon
Contax Zeiss 50mm f/1.7 Planar
Contax Zeiss f/2.8 Sonnar
Yashica ML 50mm f/1.9

Olympus OM Zuiko
24mm f/2.8
28mm f/3.5
35mm f/2.8
50mm f/1.8
135mm f/3.5
35-70mm f/4

Canon FL
50mm f/1.4

Canon FD

Primes
FDn 17mm f/4
FDn 20mm f/2.8
FDn 24mm f/2.8
FDn 28mm f/2.0
FDn 28mm f/2.8
FDn 35mm f/2.8
FD 35mm f/2.0 SSC (Concave front element)
FDn 50mm f/1.4
FD 50mm f/1.8 SC
FDn 50mm f/1.8
FDn 50mm f/3.5 Macro
FDn 85mm f/1.8
FDn 85mm f/1.2 L
FD 100mm f/2.8 SSC
FDn 135mm f/2.0
FD 135mm f/2.5
FDn 135mm f/2.8
FDn 135mm f/3.5
FD 200mm f/4.0 SSC
FDn 200mm f/4.0
FDn 300mm f/4
FDn 500mm f/8 Reflex

Zooms
FDn 70-210mm f/4
FDn 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 Macro
FDn 35-70mm f/4
FDn 35-105mm f/3.5 (x 2)

Tamron Adaptall
Tamron Adaptall 28mm f/2.8
Tamron Adaptall 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 Macro
Tamron Adaptall 80-210mm f/3.8-4.0

M42
Meyer Domiplan 50mm f/2.8
Yashica 50mm f/1.8

I may have missed a couple, but I think that's most of it for 35mm format lenses (though there's also some Mamiya Sekor 645 medium format lenses) :D

Last edited:
Great stuff!
:D

I'm actually tempted by those Dog Schidt lenses in another thread. The idea of an old refettled lens appeals to me. Actually I wish that you could buy new lenses like the Zuiko, MD and Canon FD's. I know that there are the Samyang's but they don't look compact and as far as I can see there isn't a 28, 50 and 85mm set.

Just thought I would drop in and comment on your A7. I had a play with a couple today at Jessops and I was really impressed at the build quality, tactility, controls and the large viewfinder of the A7 compared to my A6000. It really has got me thinking about selling up and going for something similar.

Just thought I would drop in and comment on your A7. I had a play with a couple today at Jessops and I was really impressed at the build quality, tactility, controls and the large viewfinder of the A7 compared to my A6000. It really has got me thinking about selling up and going for something similar.

Do it, you know it makes sense ;)
I moved from a DX (crop) sensor Nikon and so far have no regrets.
Ensure you know all about it's quirks though so your not jumping into the A7 without knowing the negatives etc.
Also there are very little FE lenses available.

Are there any particular issues to note if importing an A7 over and above the usual stuff?

I'm dead against the process used by some foreign retailers to get cameras cheap into this country, but the difference for Sony gear just seems staggering and too much to ignore even after factoring in VAT etc (i.e. importing an A7 with all fees/duty etc genuinely paid is still cheaper than a used one from MPB, let alone a brand new UK model)

I'm looking at an A7, 55mm 1.8 and 70-200mm f4, out of interest.

Are there any particular issues to note if importing an A7 over and above the usual stuff?

I'm dead against the process used by some foreign retailers to get cameras cheap into this country, but the difference for Sony gear just seems staggering and too much to ignore even after factoring in VAT etc (i.e. importing an A7 with all fees/duty etc genuinely paid is still cheaper than a used one from MPB, let alone a brand new UK model)

I'm looking at an A7, 55mm 1.8 and 70-200mm f4, out of interest.

Just on the general subject of buying abroad...

In the past I've only imported lenses which were for whatever reason difficult to get here and I've always felt a bit guilty about it. I've always also been a bit reluctant to import a camera... my thinking being that I'd rather buy one from a UK dealer and get the full official warranty. However, I recently weakened and bought a GX7+20mm from digitalreview and had no problems at all. I still feel guilty though.

there's a a7 in the classifieds ;-)
Yup, but for more than the price you can get a new one from abroad.

I was tempted by the lenses... but again they seem to be for more than new price abroad.

Last edited:
Sony A7 - £769.50
55mm f1.8 - £541.50
70-200mm f4 - £878.75

All from the place i got mine from.

The one in the classified is expensive considering he even states its import stuff.

Last edited:
Sony A7 - £769.50
55mm f1.8 - £541.50
70-200mm f4 - £878.75

All from the place i got mine from.

The one in the classified is expensive considering he even states its import stuff.

I missed that bit.

Hi fellow A7 owners...
I got to really put the Sony 70-200mm f4 OSS G through its paces today and I am blown away at how much I can crop and still retain sharp detail.
Cleethorps Air Show
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rizvanhussain/sets/72157645949808315/

DSC04125.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC03054.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC03208.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC03268.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC03334.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC03350.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC03492.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC03565.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

Hi fellow A7 owners...
I got to really put the Sony 70-200mm f4 OSS G through its paces today

How did you find AF when shooting fast moving planes, out of interest?

How did you find AF when shooting fast moving planes, out of interest?

As you can see from the Flickr album I got some great shots and I'd say there were only a few photos which were out of focus but this was due to me trying to AF track on the planes when they were at very extreme distances :)
During the full days shooting I didn't find the AF to be of any major concern as long as you lock on the plane and pan with it, it remains locked on.
I used the following settings for nearly all of the shots.

AF-C
Speed priority and Speed priority High
Centre metering mode
Centre focus selection
Auto ISO
200mm
F4
1/2000th shutter

I know this lens isn't cheap but it is amazingly sharp, I would say that the crops are about 10-25% of the original 24mp image :eek:
I have applied little Lightroom work but nothing more than a few minute per photo if that. :)

Last edited:
I've pulled the trigger.

A7 and 55mm 1.8 heading my way, 70-200 f4 to follow in a few weeks. Unsure if the 55mm will be right for me, I've been shooting with a Sigma 35mm Art on FF up until now, but will see how it goes, it won't cost anything to switch to the 35mm 2.8 if needs be.

I was utterly torn between that or a Fuji X-T1, 23mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.2, so hope I've made the right choice!

Any tips for a newbie in terms of things I should pick up? I'm guessing a charger/spare batteries would be handy.

Last edited:
I've pulled the trigger.

A7 and 55mm 1.8 heading my way, 70-200 f4 to follow in a few weeks. Unsure if the 55mm will be right for me, I've been shooting with a Sigma 35mm Art on FF up until now, but will see how it goes, it won't cost anything to switch to the 35mm 2.8 if needs be.

I was utterly torn between that or a Fuji X-T1, 23mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.2, so hope I've made the right choice!

Any tips for a newbie in terms of things I should pick up? I'm guessing a charger/spare batteries would be handy.

Congratulations and I too was considering a Fuji X-T1 but in my eyes the IQ is better on the A7 vs the small price difference between the A7 and X-T1.
The Zeiss 55mm is one if the sharpest lenses ever tested and I'm sure you'll love it.

I would most definitely consider a spare battery and a charger.
Also worth considering buying Brian Smith's book on the A7/A7R as it's a good guide/read.

Another item worth considering is your bag choice, I bought a Think Tank Retrospective 20 and although it's a great bag which will keep my kit safe, it's heavy @ 1.5kgs!! :(

There aren't too many major negatives on the A7 and certainly non that would stop you taking good photos.
Practice pays dividend especially when doing high speed action shots like the Air Show I went to.
My AF hit rate has vastly improved after learning how the camera works and responds :)

So, I could get a samyang fisheye, 35/2.8, 55/1.8 and a 24-70/4.

As someone who doesn't do legacy glass or manual focus (apart from the fe) are there any plans for a faster wider prime?

Can I use E mount nex lenses on the a7 body? Will they AF ?

Last edited:
Congratulations and I too was considering a Fuji X-T1 but in my eyes the IQ is better on the A7 vs the small price difference between the A7 and X-T1.
The Zeiss 55mm is one if the sharpest lenses ever tested and I'm sure you'll love it.

I would most definitely consider a spare battery and a charger.
Also worth considering buying Brian Smith's book on the A7/A7R as it's a good guide/read.

Another item worth considering is your bag choice, I bought a Think Tank Retrospective 20 and although it's a great bag which will keep my kit safe, it's heavy @ 1.5kgs!! :(

There aren't too many major negatives on the A7 and certainly non that would stop you taking good photos.
Practice pays dividend especially when doing high speed action shots like the Air Show I went to.
My AF hit rate has vastly improved after learning how the camera works and responds :)

Retrospective 20 what do you carry around in that. I have the 5 and fit the camera and a couple of lenses in.

Retrospective 20 what do you carry around in that. I have the 5 and fit the camera and a couple of lenses in.

The Retrospective 20 allows me to carry the following with room to spare for a flash and couple more lenses.

Sony A7 (with mounted lens)
Zeiss 55mm
Zeiss 24-70mm
Sony 70-200mm
Battery's
SD cards
Giotto blower
Cleaning pens & cloths
Rain cover
Black Rapid RS strap

Because the Retrospective 20 is taller than the 10, you can mount and 70-200mm on the A7 and be able to fit it in as a whole.

The bag is excellent :)

I've been reading for hours but I'm possibly more confused than ever. I will very occasionally use the A7 for motorsport/airshows/zoo visits etc, so want a telephoto option that will offer reasonable AF.

From what I've read, an A mount lens attached via the LA-EA4 is arguably quicker to AF than a native FE lens, has anyone had direct experience of this? I loved the Sony 70-300 G when I had an A77, so I'm wondering if that's actually a better/cheaper/faster AFing option over going direct to the FE 70-200 f4, as well as obviously offering more reach.

Yup you need the lae4 adaptor.

Will fit any a mount lens. The sigma 100-300 will give better iq.

The sigma 100-300 will give better iq.

Near impossible to track down though, I remember the trouble I went to trying to find one for my a77.

I'm finding that the FE 70-200mm f4 is very sharp. Easily outperforms a Nikon 70-300mm on my crop sensor body. I cropped heavily the Cleethorpes Air Show photos and they are still sharper than the 70-300mm at max focal length.
I used it on my A7 body and the AF was good enough for me.
Have a look at my photos and see what you think?

I
Near impossible to track down though, I remember the trouble I went to trying to find one for my a77.
sourced an even rarer lens from eBay Japan. A tokina 304 af. It's a 300mm f4 prime. Relatively small and able to af with a 1.4 tele.

Well finally got my TriggerTrap.

The amount of options is brilliant, especially the sound activation, so i can whistle to set off my camera.

Well finally got my TriggerTrap.

The amount of options is brilliant, especially the sound activation, so i can whistle to set off my camera.

You just have to set it up so it activates when you break wind.

Off out tomorrow all by myself so I'm taking my A7 + 28, 50 and 85mm FD's.

You could, you can adjust the sensitivity and the threshold level for it to take the photo. lol
Really is a great bit of kit, can even use my tablet and wifi to my phone and remote control it. Its a shame really sony are missing out they could easy include all this functionality in the camera and phone app.

You could, you can adjust the sensitivity and the threshold level for it to take the photo. lol
Really is a great bit of kit, can even use my tablet and wifi to my phone and remote control it. Its a shame really sony are missing out they could easy include all this functionality in the camera and phone app.

I agree that Sony can do a lot more with the WiFi connectivity with the A7, to be honest I feel they may well improve things in this department along with PlayMemories applications in due time.
The main focus for Sony will most likely be to get these 5 FE lenses released followed by another 5 next year.

Remember the FE system is in its infancy and needs time to grow and evolve. I can see myself buying the next A7 replacement in a few years time :)

Me too im looking forward to the A7R2. Would be happy with a full electronic shutter.

Can someone recommend something for cleaning my sensor, got something on mine that wont shift with a blower or lens pen brush. I have access to IPA if that can be used if its glass it would be fine.

Who has the battery grip, im looking at it for when im planning on doing lots of portrait shots and longer days shooting. Is it worth getting? Seems expensive.

Who has the battery grip, im looking at it for when im planning on doing lots of portrait shots and longer days shooting. Is it worth getting? Seems expensive.
I personally didnt bother as its not as good as the Nikon battery grips, the Nikon grip allows you to have one battery in the body and one in the grip. The Sony grip only allows you to have both batteries in the grip, meaning you can't swap one battery without having to turn off the camera.
And yes, its expensive... if it has been around the £150 or less mark, would have been more acceptable.

It makes the camera easier to hold IMO, plus you get more juice, the battery location isn't to me an issue.

I also have the grip - it is a bit deeper than I expected.The camera is easier to hold for portrait orientation shots with the extra buttons and 2 batteries are better than one.

i can't see the benefit of changing the battery without having to turn the camera off, I always turn off equipment to change batteries?

I only use the grip for studio and portraiture type shots; for landscapes and anything else I have the L-grip for tripod use, which gives the camera an useful extra half inch depth for my big hands.

Last edited:
At some point i may need it anyway for star trails and time lapse. Think i will wait untill i need it though. I wonder if the camera will charge while on, like connecting an external usb power supply.

At some point i may need it anyway for star trails and time lapse. Think i will wait untill i need it though. I wonder if the camera will charge while on, like connecting an external usb power supply.

Nope it doesnt.... doesnt function when on charge.
I do like the battery grip but one of the main reasons I liked the A7 was due it its smaller size and weight.
Adding the battery grip detracts from that but I can see it being useful for portrait photographers and studio work.
For my uses I just pop open the battery door and swap it.
I bought a Gariz case for my A7, proper lush :)

One from my weekend visit to Braithwaite in the Lake District.

Braithwaite
by treboraj20, on Flickr

Got to love the dynamic range the foreground was totally dark when i took the picture. I just need to have ago at getting rid of that green dot.

Last edited:
The wait is killing me, ordered from Panamoz last Saturday but they informed me a few days ago that they don't actually have any.

If I didn't have bad luck I would have none at all. Baby due date getting ever closer!

Back