The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I did love my Sigma 12-24mm on both my 20D and 5D and in fact I do pine for that lens as it gave a look that I can't get from my 24, 28 or 35mm legacy lenses. I also pine for the excellent Sigma 50mm (non Art) and 85mm f1.4's as well as the 150mm macro. Even the more humble and often overlooked Sigma 20mm f1.8 had it's charms and I could be tempted to buy similar lenses for my A7 but some if not all will come at the price of bulk and weight and of course FBW.

Anybody tried an A7S? I'm using a Nikon D610 (D800 since last week) + 58/1.4 for 99% of what I do and getting fed up with lugging it around. Also the D800 shutter makes a hell of a racket. I'm thinking that the A7S+55/1.8 may do everything I need and I can play around with manual focus lenses I've got. I didn't like the A7 images much when I had one but the A7S seems to produce a more pleasing look (my eyes, your mileage may vary). I'm fine with 12mp.

Steve Huff has done a 7s write up and there is at least one other by someone else in the "Index" section on his site.

I see they have announced the new lenses.

28mm f/2.0
24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS
35mm Zeiss f/1.4
90mm f/2.8 macro
28-135mm powerzoom

and a flash

HVL-F32M Flash

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-announces-the-new-fe-lenses/

I think its a mistake to double up on the 35mm while not having something like an 85. I too would have prefered the macro to be at least 150mm, i got so used to a 100mm on a crop sensor. OSS is welcomed though always handy for handheld macros, with it being a G range lens, i hope its a sensible price.

Last edited:
No 85mm f1.4/1.8? I'm surprised and a little disappointed.

Suppose the 90mm is not much different to an 85. If that had been an f2 at least it would have doubled as both.

The 28mm is interesting comes with a 16mm fisheye and 21mm WA converter.

Last edited:
Yes, 90 is close enough to 85mm and f2.8 would very probably be enough but my own personal experience of macro lenses is that they're not the world record holders when it comes to focus speed. Will have to wait and see... but I suspect that many people will be disappointed at the lack of an 85mm and the duplication at 35mm.

The 35mm looks big... if going for one of these I'd probably go for the 28mm if it's as small as it looks.

Liking the 90mm f2.8 Macro G OSS lens.
I don't think I want the Zeiss 35mm f1.4, depends on how good it is compared to the Zeiss 55mm f1.8 :)
Good move by Sony to release a cheaper telephoto lens :)
Wish they try and build a Teleconverter next for the FE 70-200mm f4 OSS G :)

The 28mm is interesting comes with a 16mm fisheye and 21mm WA converter.

I hadn't spotted the adapter thingies. This isn't going to be cheap is it? :D

So, I could have...

28mm f2.
55mm f1.8.
90mm f2.8.

I better have a long think and let my wallet run for cover.

Hmmm. Some of the lenses look interesting.

I know a lot of people will be happy to see a 35mm f1.4, but from my point of view we now have 35mm f2.8, 35mm f1.4, 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 28-70mm, and 24-240mm. That's 6 options for 35mm. Meanwhile the only real portrait (85-135mm ish) options are a f2.8 macro lens, a slow ultra zoom, and an f4 70-200mm. I know a 135mm f1.8 would be too much to ask for, but really Sony, a bit more diversity before your 2nd 35mm prime would have been nice, especially considering they're both expensive Zeiss lenses, not 1 cheap one pro.

That said, either the 16-35mm or 28mm+converters would be nice since I've been doing more landscape shooting lately and 28mm is currently my widest.

The lens lineup is really starting to flesh out, but still some way off ideal. Happy sticking with Sony a little while longer at least!

I hadn't spotted the adapter thingies. This isn't going to be cheap is it? :D

So, I could have...

28mm f2.
55mm f1.8.
90mm f2.8.

I better have a long think and let my wallet run for cover.
Yep woooohooo I'm defo buying the 90mm Macro.... can't wait :)

The '3' will af on a lens that has a built in motor but it's like wading through treacle.

It does offer the following benefits over a dumb adaptor.

Tight design and very secure, allows exif info and electronic aperture control.

The '4' uses an SLT mirror design and allows screw drive af and makes your a7 into a fast focusing dslt.

Ah, thanks for that :D

Here's a bunch of photos of the new Sony and Zeiss lenses.

One useful thing to note is that the Sony lenses at least seem to be sticking to the 49mm and 72mm filter diameters they've been using so far (apart from, annoyingly, the 28-70 and 24-70).

Bought one of these earlier this week and I'm currently using it with some Canon fd lenses which are working superbly, managed to pick up a used A7r, fd 20mm, fd 25-50mm, fd 135mm, fd 70-210mm, fd 300mm for under £1450.
Havent been out with it much but took these the other night

Coast by ScottAMurray, on Flickr

Cliffs by ScottAMurray, on Flickr

both taken with the 300mm f/5.6

Heres the second one at 100% http://i.imgur.com/eQtKnKN.jpg was a little windy so not 100% sharp

Very very impressed with this camera so far, works very well for landscapes.

Bought one of these earlier this week and I'm currently using it with some Canon fd lenses which are working superbly, managed to pick up a used A7r, fd 20mm, fd 25-50mm, fd 135mm, fd 70-210mm, fd 300mm for under £1450.
Havent been out with it much but took these the other night...

both taken with the 300mm f/5.6

Very very impressed with this camera so far, works very well for landscapes.

Impressive :D and yes, I think it does. I think that it's almost perfect for use with old manual lenses.

Congratulations on both your choice of kit and the results you're getting.

Is there a way of getting a focus confirmation 'bleep' and a focus area on screen that can adjust in size to suit the subject?
Apologies if this has been done but I don't get much info from the manual that came with the camera so it's all trial and error by button....

There is the adjustable focus point, small medium and large if that's what you mean, or zone focus points.

Work fine for me as long as you have some contrasty stuff to focus on.

It does, it out performs my 40D. It may take a bit longer in low light but 90% of the time i get a lock.

Guys. how do you find the AF in low light?

With the 28-70mm kit lens (the only AF lens I have) I think my A7 is about the same as my 20D and 5D or maybe a bit better. In my testing it would consistently achieve a focus lock at F5, 1/13, ISO25600 and those settings should tell you that the light was pretty low and possibly lower than my DSLR's would lock with a f3.5-5.6 lens. So I don't think that the A7+kit lens is too bad which should bode well for a body and better lens.

Last edited:

Looks to me like the meike grip comes with a wireless radio remote (or it can be purchased separately) that might also be an intervalometer or something. Wish I could read Japanese. I never thought the Sony grip was a worthwhile buy, but for that price...

So im going out tomorrow and it looks like rain. Now when i bought the camera it was advertised as weather resistant but when i just looked there is no mention of it?
I will be very annoyed if i cant use it in the rain.

This fred slipped to page 4! We can't have that.

I for one am getting rather excited (although my wallet is dreading) the release of the 16-35. No reviews as yet but initial buzz seems good. I have been told end of November in shops so it might get there before Xmas.

Last edited:
I wonder what Sonys stance would be then if it got damaged due to rain?

I would be tempted to quote there original press statement.

"The new A7 and A7R cameras each have a tough, magnesium alloy build and are dust and moisture resistant for standing up to some of the toughest weather conditions.”

I would be tempted to quote there original press statement.

"The new A7 and A7R cameras each have a tough, magnesium alloy build and are dust and moisture resistant for standing up to some of the toughest weather conditions.”

Good luck with that.

Back