The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Its good, but so is the A7R when you downsize them to the same 12MP. I would be getting the A7S if i wanted the 4k stuff and silent shutter.
If your after high ISO as your number one then its the one to go for. A7 is still the best all rounder.

Last edited:
A lot has been said about the A7 families noisy shutter but I've not found it an issue but a silent shutter would be very nice when shooting indoor / churches etc. The one on my GX7 is impressive, eerie actually :D

As I may have said here previously, had the s been out at the beginning I'd probably have got it instead of the 7 as the 12mp of my 5D was always enough for me.

The a7r isn't any louder its just a longer sound. I have grown to like it.

itll be high for awhile, alot of guys replacing the canon dslr with a7s for video, mid level pro's

Looks like it. The current A7 firmware is 1.02, and it's dated today.

From the description it seems to be mostly about improved playmemories support in the post-NEX E mount cameras, but the improved startup time will be welcome if it's a big difference. I'll give it a try when I get home.

Update version 1.10
  • Provides support for the SEL70200G lens:
    - Supports the "Fast Hybrid AF" function and future Fast Hybrid AF compatible E mount lenses
    - Adds the "Focus hold button" function
  • Reduces start-up time:
    - The start-up time has been reduced in cases when the camera is switched on immediately after being switched off
  • Improves image quality
  • Provides support for additional PlayMemories Camera Apps and additional features for previously supported apps:
    - Supports the "Liveview Grading" and "Smooth Reflection" applications
    - Supports the smooth automatic exposure feature in the "Time-lapse" application ver. 2.00 and later

Also ordering a Meike battery grip today, only £60 on amazon. Much more reasonable price and includes a 2.4ghz shutter remote.

Last edited:
Not sure how credible this is, but from the same person who posted the video information:

ILCE-6000
- Provides support for "Fast Hybrid AF" function with wide range of A-mounts including SAM/SSM via LA-EA3 A-Mount Adapter.

Now while that doesn't seem to apply to the A7, it gives hope that the new full frame camera released at the start of next year will have the same feature. As someone who uses an adapted 135mm on my A7 that's big news, not being stuck with the stupid DSLR type central AF points alone would make it must buy for me.

Some advice please. I'm considering selling my Fuji XT1 due to the 12 month delay of the super tele zoom. So I am looking at my options and due to largish hands I found M4/3 too small, so it's out of the question.

I'm struggling with my manual 300mm f4 lens to manual focus due to some disabilities in shoulders and left hand. What would the longest Sony lens available for the A7 but it must have vibration reduction / optical stabalizer and AF. Can you use some of the other Sony lenses with an adapter to keep the VR & AF functions?

Also, I have seen the A7 with the 28-70 f3.5-5.6 for £908, what is this lens like?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Last edited:
What would the longest Sony lens available for the A7 but it must have vibration reduction / optical stabalizer and AF. Can you use some of the other Sony lenses with an adapter to keep the VR & AF functions?

Also, I have seen the A7 with the 28-70 f3.5-5.6 for £908, what is this lens like?
The longest native lens currently is the 70-200mm, it has OSS and AF. You can adapt Sony A mount lenses but to my knowledge they won't be stabilised because A mount does stabilisation in the body not the lens. The AF works perfectly well, though.

The 28-70mm is pretty good as far as kit lenses go. It's nothing amazing like the 55mm, but worth having if you need something in that range.

I have one but as I'm addicted to old manual primes I haven't used it other than testing it (my original plan was to use it on days out but so far all I've used is manual primes) but it's there if and when I want it. Anyway, in my little tests I've found it to be a perfectly adequate little kit lens and in fact I'd go so far as to say it's the best kit lens I've ever had, certainly for a mix of perceived build quality and in use better than the Nikon, Canon and Panasonic ones I've owned in the past.

Last edited:
for stabilised long lenses then you got the sigma a mount ones, 50 500, 150 500 150 600
180mm macro and others I guess, check dyxum, os in the name means opticaly stabilised

So there is an adapter to use A mount lenses on the A7, this one? > http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/converters-mount-adapters/la-ea4. does this work okay with other brand lenses i.e Sigma & Tamron?
Or this one which is cheaper but doesn't have the focus motor, so will only focus lenses with their own AF motor (SAM/SSM). It also doesn't have the AF sensor the LA-EA4 has, so the AF is typical "DSLR in live view" speed from what I hear.

The LA-EA4 AF performance is very fast, but it has a few problems with older 3rd party lenses - I tried it with an old Sigma 24-70mm and AF didn't work. The newer Sigma 24-70mm works perfectly well though.

Or this one which is cheaper but doesn't have the focus motor, so will only focus lenses with their own AF motor (SAM/SSM). It also doesn't have the AF sensor the LA-EA4 has, so the AF is typical "DSLR in live view" speed from what I hear.

The LA-EA4 AF performance is very fast, but it has a few problems with older 3rd party lenses - I tried it with an old Sigma 24-70mm and AF didn't work. The newer Sigma 24-70mm works perfectly well though.

Thanks Ray,

I'm looking at the cost involvements in changing, these adapters seem expensive, especially if theres problems with some of the older lenses. I love my XT1 but it doesn't do what I wanted it for. I had two XPro-1 and sold up to change systems for the longer reach, the XT1 prices started to settle and I decided to buy back into the system with the idea of purchasing the tele zoom this winter. They have put it back twelve months so I cant wait that long using manual lenses. I just want to make the right decision. I was hoping to keep the XT and buy a Nikon D750 for the little birds in the garden, but looking at our finances I cant afford to have both.

So I need one camera system, the weight of the Sony appeals, like the Fuji, due to my disabilities when taking it out for the day and then have a long AF & OS zoom for the birds in the garden, we have alot as we back onto woodlands.

I know you said that MFT is too small but have your tried the GH4? It's quite large for a MFT camera and obviously any lens you fit will benefit from the x2 crop, FoV wise.

So I need one camera system, the weight of the Sony appeals, like the Fuji, due to my disabilities when taking it out for the day and then have a long AF & OS zoom for the birds in the garden, we have alot as we back onto woodlands.

The D750 weighs 760g the A7 weighs 475g, add the LAEA4 at 160g that makes the A7 635g. Not far apart are they? You need to seriously also look at AF lens availability and price and consider what it will be like to hold a very large zoom attached to a very small camera.

I dont see this issue of large lenses fitted to the A7 series, its still smaller overall, and for all times when your not using a large lens its a lot smaller. I use a massive old 300mm on mine and its just fine and thats using MF.

I dont see this issue of large lenses fitted to the A7 series, its still smaller overall, and for all times when your not using a large lens its a lot smaller. I use a massive old 300mm on mine and its just fine and thats using MF.

Indeed. I occasionally use a manual 70-200mm via an adapter and the handling is fine.

Fair enough, but I wouldn't feel confident holding a 300mm AF prime holding just the camera grip.

But a D750 will handle better with big lenses and there are lots of other AF smaller lenses to choose from. Im sure less than 300g in terms of camera body difference isn't going to hurt Simon, especially with a big comfortable grip.

Thanks folks for your advice.

Twist, I'm considering the the D750 and on paper it's at the top of my list, due to the available lenses for it, but the Sony is appealing as it will be similiar in size to the XT which is jacket pocketable???.. As you probably know I had Nikon before changing to Fuji for the lightness, so I am familiar with the system. What I was hoping to do is confuse the wife and buy another camera (D750) and keep the XT for going out. Looking at our finances I cant do this at present. My secret plan was to buy the D750 for home use and the XT for going out.

Currently I have a camera which basically is not suitable for me. I'm home allday and the little enjoyment I have is trying to catch the little birds that frequent our garden, due to my disabilities Im struggling with my Tokina 300mm f4 lens even with a tripod, it's a heavy lens at 1.4kgs. I also believe that due to some movement between adapter and lens it's not helping things. I don't want go and spend £80 on a Novoflex adapter and still struggle.

My other thinking is, will the D750 or A7 give me better cropability over the Fuji as their FF cameras and more MP?? You have had both what's your thought on this? Could I even get away with a 300mm lens on FF ????

I have an offer on my XT bundle but ideally I would like to try the cameras out, the only place which would probably stock them is Camera Center or John Lewis Cardiff, I haven't looked into this yet. I cant see the Sony Centre Swansea or Currys stocking them based on past experience. Also, I wouldn't buy the Sony without trying there lens adpater, who would stock one to try out and with an A mount lens, this maybe hard to try???

So where Im at. I think Nikon have more lens availability but its a bigger camera in size, is the Sony going to be similiar to the Fuji in size which I like. Decisions, descisions!

Things would be a lot easier if I had small hands, I would use M4/3, But at six foot tall and 18 stone I have hands like shovels.

If you want to crop what about the A7R 36MP to play with then, will allow the 300mm to reach further when you need it while still keeping the resolution up.
The Sony has more total lenses available, i could never use MF before i got the A7 now i use it 80% of the time, focus peaking and zoom are such a pleasure to use. Im starting to use more Canon FD lenses on mine i have a 70-200, 300, and a 100 macro all manual and all cheap.

Last edited:
Thanks folks for your advice.

Twist, I'm considering the the D750 and on paper it's at the top of my list, due to the available lenses for it, but the Sony is appealing as it will be similiar in size to the XT which is jacket pocketable???.. As you probably know I had Nikon before changing to Fuji for the lightness, so I am familiar with the system. What I was hoping to do is confuse the wife and buy another camera (D750) and keep the XT for going out. Looking at our finances I cant do this at present. My secret plan was to buy the D750 for home use and the XT for going out.

Currently I have a camera which basically is not suitable for me. I'm home allday and the little enjoyment I have is trying to catch the little birds that frequent our garden, due to my disabilities Im struggling with my Tokina 300mm f4 lens even with a tripod, it's a heavy lens at 1.4kgs. I also believe that due to some movement between adapter and lens it's not helping things. I don't want go and spend £80 on a Novoflex adapter and still struggle.

My other thinking is, will the D750 or A7 give me better cropability over the Fuji as their FF cameras and more MP?? You have had both what's your thought on this? Could I even get away with a 300mm lens on FF ????

I have an offer on my XT bundle but ideally I would like to try the cameras out, the only place which would probably stock them is Camera Center or John Lewis Cardiff, I haven't looked into this yet. I cant see the Sony Centre Swansea or Currys stocking them based on past experience. Also, I wouldn't buy the Sony without trying there lens adpater, who would stock one to try out and with an A mount lens, this maybe hard to try???

So where Im at. I think Nikon have more lens availability but its a bigger camera in size, is the Sony going to be similiar to the Fuji in size which I like. Decisions, descisions!

Things would be a lot easier if I had small hands, I would use M4/3, But at six foot tall and 18 stone I have hands like shovels.

My thoughts are that unless you want MF or to use an adapter for AF which makes it as big as a DSLR Id personally go for a DSLR. Better AF, its designed to use big lenses and there are lots of lenses. As a system imo it makes more sense. The D750 is pretty small and is very light with Nikons cheap but very good G prime lenses. 70-300 Tamron VC or the equiv Nikon VR arent very heavy at all, again cheap lenses.

The point being is the Sony wont be small after you add the adapter then add full frame lenses, its practically the same size and weight as a DSLR.

I think Alan had a good shout with the GH4, decent size, fast high quality zooms, fast high quality primes.

Rob, Sony only has more lenses available if they are manual focus! And then not every lens performs very well anyway. If youre talking MF Nikon also has their entire back catalogue available.

Look at FE lenses vs FX lenses

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Sony/Sony-NEX-Lenses

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Nikon/Nikon-FX-Lenses

Last edited:
I have an A7R now, and had the XT1 before it - size wise they compare well. I now have the Sony 70-200 F4 FE mount, so full frame, and the weight difference between that combo and my D800 with 70-200 f2.8 is significant, and the reason I bought the smaller camera. People's opinions are always their own, but I find I am able to crop the Sony files considerably more than the Fuji files due to their size (A7R files are in excess of 7000 x 4000 pixels!).
The A7 is said to be more forgiving than the A7R to camera shake or shutter shake, but I have had zero problems with shaky images. The A7S is meant to be even better at video, and exceptional at low-light, but I have not tried one.

As to hanging a heavy lens off a small camera - I wouldn't hang a heavy lens off a large camera, I prefer to think of the camera being mounted to the lens for the bigger lenses. The lens is where most of the supporting is done, either with my hand or using the lens mount to a tripod or monopod, with the camera being used to steady the lens and take the shot.

The D750 will do everything you need, and though there is little weight difference between the Nikon body and the A7 and EA4, the Nikon lenses will still be heavy.

HTH.

I have an A7R now, and had the XT1 before it - size wise they compare well. I now have the Sony 70-200 F4 FE mount, so full frame, and the weight difference between that combo and my D800 with 70-200 f2.8 is significant, and the reason I bought the smaller camera. People's opinions are always their own, but I find I am able to crop the Sony files considerably more than the Fuji files due to their size (A7R files are in excess of 7000 x 4000 pixels!).
The A7 is said to be more forgiving than the A7R to camera shake or shutter shake, but I have had zero problems with shaky images. The A7S is meant to be even better at video, and exceptional at low-light, but I have not tried one.

As to hanging a heavy lens off a small camera - I wouldn't hang a heavy lens off a large camera, I prefer to think of the camera being mounted to the lens for the bigger lenses. The lens is where most of the supporting is done, either with my hand or using the lens mount to a tripod or monopod, with the camera being used to steady the lens and take the shot.

The D750 will do everything you need, and though there is little weight difference between the Nikon body and the A7 and EA4, the Nikon lenses will still be heavy.

HTH.

Well tbf the D800 is much heavier than the D750 and the 70-200 2.8 is also much heavier than a 70-200 f4.

Okay, here are actual numbers to think about!

D750 + 70-200 F4 VR = 1.6 kg
Sony A7 + 70-200 FE = 1.3 kg

Thats as much difference as my remote control with 4 AAA batteries and 100g less than a average glass!

Last edited:
Rob, Sony only has more lenses available if they are manual focus! And then not every lens performs very well anyway. If youre talking MF Nikon also has their entire back catalogue available.

Note how i said total lenses. I never in a million years would have used such lenses before i got the Sony, it was AF all the way. Yes if you only want AF then other systems have more lens choice but if your willing to use manual lenses there is more choice with an A7.

I came from a 40D and mostly FF lenses and i have noticed a big difference in the weight and size of my setup now.

Okay, here are actual numbers to think about!

D750 + 70-200 F4 VR = 1.6 kg
Sony A7 + 70-200 FE = 1.3 kg

Thats as much difference as my remote control with 4 AAA batteries and 100g less than a average glass!

Thats another lens in the bag and still the same weight. So a decent weight reduction if you ask me.

Again thanks for your replies.

I have the car tomorrow, so I will see what theres to offer and try in my local camera stores. As another thought what would the Nikon D610 be like or for the extra £400 it's worth going for the D750. Have I answered my own question.?

Rob, I need to get away from my manual lenses (apart from macro, which I rarely use). I have a 28,50,58,135,200 & 300mm mentioned. With the Fuji EVF and Peaking they are easy to focus, the problem is im not steady enough, Im wriggled with Arthritis and have Fibromyalgia. From my Subacromial Decompression operations to both shoulders, I have nerve damage to my left arm and hand from the nerve block I recieved, to reduce post op pain. Also, my arthritis has come back as they only take small shavings of the bones to open joint in the mentioned op.

Twist & David you both make good points about the different cameras.

I am an awkward person for camera use due to my problems, so I am exploring all options. I need to make the right decision this time otherwise as it's costing me a small fortune. If Fuji hadn't delayed the 120-400mm lens by twelve months I wouldn't be looking to change. I have had the Fuji 55-500 & 50-230mm but they are a too short for my needs.

Last edited:
Again thanks for your replies.

I have the car tomorrow, so I will see what theres to offer and try in my local camera stores. As another thought what would the Nikon D610 be like or for the extra £400 it's worth going for the D750. Have I answered my own question.?

Rob, I need to get away from my manual lenses (apart from macro, which I rarely use). I have a 28,50,58,135,200 & 300mm mentioned. From my Subacromial Decompression operations to both shoulders, I have nerve damage to my left arm and hand from the nerve block I recieved, to reduce post op pain. Also, my arthritis has come back as they only take small shavings of the bones to open joint in the mentioned op.

Twist & David you both make good points about the different cameras.

I am an awkward person for camera use due to my problems, so I am exploring all options. I need to make the right decision this time otherwise as it's costing me a small fortune. If Fuji hadn't delayed the 120-400mm lens by twelve months I wouldn't be looking to change. I have had the Fuji 55-500 & 50-230mm but they are a too short for my needs.

The D610 is still a very good camera, the D750 has just stolen some of the limelight and the D600 shutter issue put people off that model. Doesnt make the D610 any worse. Interesting one there mate, 230 is 345mm in terms of FF, youre going to need something quite large if youre going over 300mm with FF. Something like a Sigma 150-500.

D7100? 7D2? Youll have the same crop factor as the XT1.

GH4 12-35 and 100-300 sound good to me though.

Last edited:
Just installed the latest 1.10 firmware, camera now starts much faster when you change the battery. Think its a bit faster all the time as well.

The D610 is still a very good camera, the D750 has just stolen some of the limelight and the D600 shutter issue put people off that model. Doesnt make the D610 any worse. Interesting one there mate, 230 is 345mm in terms of FF, youre going to need something quite large if youre going over 300mm with FF. Something like a Sigma 150-500.

D7100? 7D2? Youll have the same crop factor as the XT1.

GH4 12-35 and 100-300 sound good to me though.

I think also the GH4 is an good chose the 100-300 for the bird stuff,then the 12-35 as the walkabout lens :)

Back