The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm sure someone here would send you some raws to lust over :D

Managed to handle an A7 finally when I was in Manchester for work (nice Jessops!) - actually a chunkier bit of kit than I imagined, quite tempted to pull the trigger on one as an accompaniment to my D800 - as long as the IQ was as good I could see it replacing it.

I have the A7R and D800, and the quality of images from both is stunning. I use the Nikon when I need fast focussing, but now prefer to take the Sony out as it is so much lighter. The amount of cropping that can be done with both cameras is amazing, and does compensate for the crop factor effect (It is the same thing really). For landscapes the Sony wins every time due to it's weight (lack of) and also the articulating rear screen.

Some complain of poor battery life from the Sony, but if you started your photographic journey with film, you won't be the spray and pray type!

isn't the iq about the same? D810 might be better cos of new sensor
a sigma dp gives similer quality in a even smaller, fixed lens body :-O

Yes, iq about the same, different cameras with different strengths. I would like a play with a dp3, may even buy one at some point if cheap enough, but the fixed lens is a problem. Also I am told that the sigmas are very slow, but I haven't tried one so can't comment.

I have the A7R and D800, and the quality of images from both is stunning. I use the Nikon when I need fast focussing, but now prefer to take the Sony out as it is so much lighter. The amount of cropping that can be done with both cameras is amazing, and does compensate for the crop factor effect (It is the same thing really). For landscapes the Sony wins every time due to it's weight (lack of) and also the articulating rear screen.

Some complain of poor battery life from the Sony, but if you started your photographic journey with film, you won't be the spray and pray type!

Battery does concern me a little as my D800 will last forever on 1 but theres always room in my bag for spares anyway. Its good to know that IQ is good as thats been my main stumbling block with considering a compact system but I think either the A7 or A7r would be enough (was plenty impressed with the 24mp D600 I had)
The vast majority of my shooting is done on a tripod and I've found recently that even the D800 makes me resort to manual focus in poor light, something the A7 would be good at with the focus peaking.

isn't the iq about the same? D810 might be better cos of new sensor
a sigma dp gives similer quality in a even smaller, fixed lens body :-O

The A7r is probably better than the D800 I have as its sensor is the equivalent to the D800E (without the Anti Aliasing Filter)

The rumour site is saying that an 85mm will be along in 2015 and that it'll be faster than the 55mm f1.8. So that's f1.4 then? If and when it comes that'll be 28, 55 and 85mm fast primes available and that could tempt me away from my manual lenses. Maybe. I'd probably want a macro too but I could carry on using my manual macro until a new one comes along.

They say it'll be announced in the spring but ship late 2015 at best. At best? That doesn't seem very good. Anyway. Read all about it...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-fast-85mm-fe-prime-coming-in-spring-2015/#disqus_thread

tbh the two areas where sigmas dps are slow in use are writing to card, so if u wanted to review pic its 13seconds, but i think auto review flashes up instantly
you can take consectutive pics, with no issue. but you cant review while its writing

focus is sometimes abit slow

as for fixed lens yeah, but one setup i like is a dp around my neck, then slr on sling strap with a different focal length

Off to Dubai & Egypt soon, the Sony A7 & lenses should be getting a good workout :)

Off to Dubai & Egypt soon, the Sony A7 & lenses should be getting a good workout :)
Off to Fuerteventura myself. The A7 certainly makes for a great travel camera, especially with budgets flights. Taking about twice as much gear as last year with my D800 because it's so much smaller and lighter.

I bought a lovely small Kata backpack to carry all my gear in, well chuffed with it :)
ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1416229594.676641.jpg

I bought a lovely small Kata backpack to carry all my gear in, well chuffed with it :)

I've asked before in the thread but no one replied. How do you like the 70-200? Im tempted but cant decide over that or the 16-35, leaning more to the 16-35 but i would rather let the price settle first.

The 70-200mm f4 is a epic lens, easily as good if not better than the Canon & Nikon equivalents.
I have used it at a Airshow and did heavy crops, the sharpness of the lens allowed me to get close to the planes.
I am not sure I need the 16-35mm, already have the 24-70mm :)
Have a look at my Flickr.
www.flickr.com/rizvanhussain

The 70-200 is great apart from the corned being a little soft at 200mm/f4. Not an issue for me since I use it mostly for portraits.

That vs the 16-35 is really more about what you need it for.

Last edited:
I've asked before in the thread but no one replied. How do you like the 70-200? Im tempted but cant decide over that or the 16-35, leaning more to the 16-35 but i would rather let the price settle first.
I received my 16-35 last Friday...unfortunately....my Sony A7r is at repairers :( . Thankfully under warranty (USB is not connecting to any PC's and only charges through some plugs so looks like a USB driver malfunction). I dearly want my camera back by the weekend to try out this new object of lust.

Where did you get it from?

Where did you get it from?
Digital Rev. First time ever used. Ordered on a Friday and it was here on Tuesday. Can't fault service. Wish there had been a UK stockist but I really need this lens before the Winter and looking to be slow arrival in UK. I know I paid top whacks to be an early adopter but this is the lens I have been waiting. Really see it being on the Camera for 80% of the time and ideal for a one lens solution when up in the hills. Now I just need the damn camera back!!

I used to use my Sigma 12-24mm quite a bit on my Canon DSLR's and I took some of my favourite shots with it so I could be tempted to the 16-35mm at some point. The widest FF lens I have at the moment is 24mm f2.8.

Good luck with yours. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it once you're up and running.

I've used Digitalrev a couple of times, they're excellent.

Digital Rev. First time ever used. Ordered on a Friday and it was here on Tuesday. Can't fault service. Wish there had been a UK stockist but I really need this lens before the Winter and looking to be slow arrival in UK. I know I paid top whacks to be an early adopter but this is the lens I have been waiting. Really see it being on the Camera for 80% of the time and ideal for a one lens solution when up in the hills. Now I just need the damn camera back!!

I think i'm going to end up paying top whack as well, off to Scotland for New year and it would be perfect. I really love the perspective a UWA gives probably be my go to lens, really gutted its not a little faster to be honest but f4 was expected and its seems to deliver in the sharpness and it looks well controlled.
Will be from Panamoz myself, had great experience in the past and delivery is usually about 3-4 days.

Probably order it next week on payday. Bit annoyed the filter size is 72mm, got all the filters for my 24-70 67mm.

Just bought a 16-35 while on a trip to Toronto. Very nice, quite chunky compared to the 55 1.8, about the same size as the 24-70, but feels well made as it should be. Price worked out at £1023 which is a nice few quid cheaper than in the UK. Nobody has any left - only about 4 were delivered to Toronto today and I got lucky.

Both the 16-35 and the 70-200 have reviewed exceptionally well, shame they messed the 24-70 up!

Did they? Mine is great.

If SAR is correct, looks like the A7 is getting an update (new camera - A7ii) to add in body 5-axis stabilisation along with a new "A9" 'pro' body

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-...e-announced-within-days-a9-coming-early-2015/

SR4: The Sony A7II succeeds the A7 camera (uses the same 24MP sensor) but comes with an impressive 5 axis stabilization taken with the Olympus E-M1. Compared to the current A7 the A7II thicker (due the different grip). Weights 100 gram more. The camera should be announced within the next days already!

Last edited:
From my viewpoint, if I hadn't got an A7r (ie still on Canikon) this would be really attractive. As it is I am awaiting to see what the A9 will bring.

I dont believe they will make an E-mount with IBIS, how would it function with the lens option, also isn't the image circle too small for there to be any movement in the sensor? I would like it to be true though.

Doubt the A9 will be very exciting for me, it will be bigger and heavier so a no go. I like the speed Sony bring out new bodies there always using the top technology rather than waiting years and years.

I dont believe they will make an E-mount with IBIS, how would it function with the lens option, also isn't the image circle too small for there to be any movement in the sensor? I would like it to be true though.

Doubt the A9 will be very exciting for me, it will be bigger and heavier so a no go. I like the speed Sony bring out new bodies there always using the top technology rather than waiting years and years.
Who knows. Rumours and fun. Maybe the A10?

TBF, though, that didn't stop Panasonic putting IBIS in the GX7.

It may not have done but from what i know the OIS on there lenses is better than the in body, so whats the point.

I suppose you could use IBIS with such lenses as the 35 and 55 and the loxias, and the OSS when the lens has it.

The GX7 uses stabilisation in the lens if it's available, otherwise it uses IBIS.

The lack of space in the E mount throat on full frame may be a more convincing reason for Sony not to put IBIS in an A7 II, but I guess we will see in the fullness of time.

As someone who uses legacy lenses almost exclusively, it would be an attraction, though probably not enough to upgrade from my A7 on its own.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of IS but the higher ISO performance of these cameras is so good that I haven't really fallen to the floor weeping because I don't have it. I'm happy enough upping the shutter speed to something between 1/160-200 ATM and that seems to get a good enough shot for me.

Anybody tried an A7S? I'm using a Nikon D610 (D800 since last week) + 58/1.4 for 99% of what I do and getting fed up with lugging it around. Also the D800 shutter makes a hell of a racket. I'm thinking that the A7S+55/1.8 may do everything I need and I can play around with manual focus lenses I've got. I didn't like the A7 images much when I had one but the A7S seems to produce a more pleasing look (my eyes, your mileage may vary). I'm fine with 12mp.

I've very recently bought one, and I love it! I'm using some Pentax prime lenses on it, which work really well, plusI've just got a Voigtlander 15mm Super-Heliar II, and so far, I'm very impressed with the lens. Not to mention the camera...it's amazing! There's a few shots here from the camera here https://www.flickr.com/photos/aliengrove/sets/72157648791475990/

Last edited:
Too little of an upgrade for me. Be interesting to see if they do the same with the R and S.

Personally I think the IBIS is a massive upgrade and something the A7 maybe should have had at launch. I don't see it as a huge benefit for native lenses but the strength of the Mirrorless bodies for a lot of users (myself included) is manual legacy glass.

Pentax users have always made a point of their IBIS making every lens stabilised and now Sony can say the same. Using any of the legacy lenses over 135mm will become much more popular now they will be stabilised. I personally use an old Tokina 80-200 so to have stabilisation on that would be great.

I'm sure the same feature will be added to upgraded R and S bodies and potentially filter down into the A6000 replacement assuming the body wouldn't become too thick.

I will trade in my A7R if they do anothor, but with a global shutter and more MP wouldnt go a miss but not at the expense of ISO.

oddly they announced new a mount glass, well ssm upgrades
but now emount has better ibis is there much point?

Back