The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The rumor site is saying that it's 99% certain that an A7rII is coming with a 50mp sensor...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-...rii-is-coming-with-50mp-sensor/#disqus_thread

Yes, it's a rumor site... but one with (arguably) a record of getting things right or very nearly right especially the closer we get to launch date.

Personally I'm not surprised at the thought of an A7rII coming and I'd be more surprised if it didn't but I don't think I expected 50mp. Maybe I thought that the rumored A9 might be a higher count camera....

Anyway, processing 50mp files wouldn't interest me and I'm quite happy with 24mp but I'm sure there'll be a queue around the block for this and that many a Canon and even Nikon shooter will be sobbing away at the thought of losing even more bragging rights...

So, if and / or when an A7rII comes along would 50mp make you more or less likely to buy?

Personally I think 50MP is too far for "normal" use if your a pro and maybe say a landscaper then feel free but OTT for me!

I was hoping for a A9 body with high speed Pro-DSLR AF and FPS, massive buffer, big ISO performance, larger body with full weather sealing, dual SD slots, better battery life, 24mp without AA filter, IBIS, 4K video etc :)

The rumor site is saying that it's 99% certain that an A7rII is coming with a 50mp sensor...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-...rii-is-coming-with-50mp-sensor/#disqus_thread

Yes, it's a rumor site... but one with (arguably) a record of getting things right or very nearly right especially the closer we get to launch date.

Personally I'm not surprised at the thought of an A7rII coming and I'd be more surprised if it didn't but I don't think I expected 50mp. Maybe I thought that the rumored A9 might be a higher count camera....

Anyway, processing 50mp files wouldn't interest me and I'm quite happy with 24mp but I'm sure there'll be a queue around the block for this and that many a Canon and even Nikon shooter will be sobbing away at the thought of losing even more bragging rights...

So, if and / or when an A7rII comes along would 50mp make you more or less likely to buy?

50mp meh, so unlikely that I now own an A7s. ;)

I was hoping for a A9 body with high speed Pro-DSLR AF and FPS, massive buffer, big ISO performance, larger body with full weather sealing, dual SD slots, better battery life, 24mp without AA filter, IBIS, 4K video etc :)

Dont want much then. :eek:

Dont want much then. :eek:
To be fair I think if Sony do release a A9 series it won't disappoint.
Sony seems to be getting things right with their Alpha mirrorless wave of camera's so far. :)

To be fair I think if Sony do release a A9 series it won't disappoint.
Sony seems to be getting things right with their Alpha mirrorless wave of camera's so far. :)

What you typed is basically an a99ii. Not an A7.

I will go for the A7R2 if it has a global sensor. 50MP files will suite me fine.

Personally I think 50MP is too far for "normal" use if your a pro and maybe say a landscaper then feel free but OTT for me!

I agree.

Personally I've pretty much stopped printing. I maybe print one picture a week and I can only see that dropping as I might just take a hammer to my Epson R2880 one day. It's like a sulky teenager, it demands everything, costs a fortune and gives trouble at every opportunity and if I do snap and kill it one day soon that may be the end of home printing for me and if I don't print BIG pictures what use 50mp? I think that 12mp is overkill for screen viewing even if at 100% crop.

There's a question... 50mp? Who here needs it and... WHY????

I will go for the A7R2 if it has a global sensor. 50MP files will suite me fine.

Global shutter? = silent shooting? + no shutter shock? Hmmm.... :D

Sounds nice but I must admit that I don't use the electronic shutter feature of my GX7 much, only used it maybe half a dozen times tops.

I'd just settle for the proper weather sealing, IBIS, battery life, and dual slots. There's absolutely a market for a "higher end" DSLR-like mirrorless camera, along the lines of what Samsung are doing with the NX1.

Either way, if the 50MP sensor rumour is true, the important thing isn't the headline number so much as it'll be a new sensor generation, so probably including AF performance at least on par with the A6000, and maybe extras like global shutter, 4K, and a general IQ boost.

I think it's a good thing that the R version will potentially see a big leap in MP as it should mean a clearer distinction between models. The R will truly be for those who really need the highest resolution possible rather than the smaller jump between the mark I models which I think lead to confusion as I know several people who though the R was intended to be the "best" A7 rather than one suited to a particular type of photographer.

If they can sort the AF and shutter noise from the previous model then they should sell a good number of them. I'm still waiting on news about the A7IIS (or A7SII?) as that's the one that I think may tip me into Sony's world.

I agree.

Personally I've pretty much stopped printing. I maybe print one picture a week and I can only see that dropping as I might just take a hammer to my Epson R2880 one day. It's like a sulky teenager, it demands everything, costs a fortune and gives trouble at every opportunity and if I do snap and kill it one day soon that may be the end of home printing for me and if I don't print BIG pictures what use 50mp? I think that 12mp is overkill for screen viewing even if at 100% crop.

There's a question... 50mp? Who here needs it and... WHY????

Same here, I dont print a lot and when I do its not billboard size also tend to frame my subject correctly so dont need tons of MPs for cropping, would rather have the best hi iso performance available.

I was considering waiting for an A7iis announcement but tbh I hate waiting and I think the current camera suits my needs perfectly. Any additions to the A7s will probably be more video focused, Im guessing internal 4K and 10 bit, I think its unlikely they will change the sensor (perhaps add IBIS) and the chassis will be the same as the A7ii.

The key difference will be in the price, the current A7s is pricewise at a bit of a sweet spot for me. The new model will be very expensive, looking at stats the A7 launched at £1300 the A7ii at £1600, take the same increase and the A7sii will launch at just under £2500.

Last edited:
there might be a glut of a7s second hand if the s2 comes out

Im not sure I would agree, as said the A7s is going to be much more expensive for quite a while. The price will drop as with all cameras, but not by much. Not much else on the market that even rivals the A7s.

Any recommendations for adapters to use Canon AF lenses on Sony A7R. Is the Metabones IV worth it's high cost. Especially interested to hear of people's experiences with various adapters.
Looking to possibly use with Canon 16-35mm f4. Thanks for any advice.

Any recommendations for adapters to use Canon AF lenses on Sony A7R. Is the Metabones IV worth it's high cost. Especially interested to hear of people's experiences with various adapters.
Looking to possibly use with Canon 16-35mm f4. Thanks for any advice.

Ive read the EF adapters are very slow with AF. Check youtube.

don't mind slow since it is for landscapes. More worried about how it locks on and accuracy.

If you're doing landscape and assuming time isn't too much of an issue why not use the magnified view and manual focus?

Manual focus is fine so what adapter would you suggest?

As Alan said, it will need to be able to communicate with the camera so itll have to be a metabones or similar, some can cause internal reflections so its worth spending more rather than less. Just look on ebay and do some further research, Kipon also make good adapters for a decent price. The adapter youre looking for will have lens contacts on it and be fairly expensive compared to non contact versions.

Just picked up a 14mm 2.8 Samyang for the wife's A7 - should be a perfect combo for shooting the Northern Lights in Iceland in a couple of weeks.

Would anyone have a recommendation for a remote trigger - wired or wireless? Also, any GPS units for these that work like the Nikon GP1, just plug and play?

Got any pics you want to share.....

Not at the moment, havent had time to use it besides to check its okay. Will try get something done this weekend... loads of stuff here though which helped me make my mind up... should keep you busy for a while.

http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?optio...hyperprime&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/...on-50-f0-95-full-frame-lens-with-the-sony-a7/

http://infraedd.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/lens-review-mitakon-50mm-f095.html

http://rick0530.com/gear-related/zhongyi-mitakon-50mm-f0-95-user-review/

Just picked up a 14mm 2.8 Samyang for the wife's A7 - should be a perfect combo for shooting the Northern Lights in Iceland in a couple of weeks.

Would anyone have a recommendation for a remote trigger - wired or wireless? Also, any GPS units for these that work like the Nikon GP1, just plug and play?
Get the Meike Grip and kill two birds with one stone.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OZUJ5W0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Its a great grip and gives you a wifi intervalometer as well.

My Nissin i40 arrived today, what a fabulous little flash.
Very small and compact, the video LED light it pretty bright too.
Highly recommended :)

Mine went back soon after i got mine, it went faulty. Its worried me slightly that another negative review popped up on Amazon with the same fault.

I have been looking at the yongnuo yn-560 iii now, yes its not as small but it will do what i want at a fraction of the cost.

Mine went back soon after i got mine, it went faulty. Its worried me slightly that another negative review popped up on Amazon with the same fault.

I have been looking at the yongnuo yn-560 iii now, yes its not as small but it will do what i want at a fraction of the cost.
What was the problem? :(

It just stopped firing, even the pilot button wouldnt work, just a faint glow inside. This was the first time i took it out to actually use it after testing it indoors. Its put me right off getting another.

I might look into the Metz offering.

Last edited:

Im using the yn560iii, decent flash, quite big on the little a7s, using yn602 on hotshoe to trigger off camera In manual.

Steve Huff likes the 16-35mm f4...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/01/30/the-sony-zeiss-16-35-f4-oss-lens-review-by-steve-huff/

And if you can't be bothered clicking on the link this is his conclusion...

"With lenses there is not much I can say or ramble on about if the lens performs exceptionally well, and this lens performs about as good as I expected, if not better. For the A7 system it will provide problem free wide-angle shooting and while it will not have the character of something like a mega exotic Leica 21 Summilux, it will give you sharp, consistent, bold color and a clean image. Seriously guys, one of the best wide-angle zooms I have ever tried or used, up there with the Nikon 14-24! At $1,398 the lens is NOT cheap but when we look at other full frame lenses like this for other systems, this one comes in well below the others. This is mainly due to the slower f/4 aperture but as I said, f/2.8 is not really needed for a lens like this, especially on the A7 system."

Steve Huff likes the 16-35mm f4...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/01/30/the-sony-zeiss-16-35-f4-oss-lens-review-by-steve-huff/

And if you can't be bothered clicking on the link this is his conclusion...

"With lenses there is not much I can say or ramble on about if the lens performs exceptionally well, and this lens performs about as good as I expected, if not better. For the A7 system it will provide problem free wide-angle shooting and while it will not have the character of something like a mega exotic Leica 21 Summilux, it will give you sharp, consistent, bold color and a clean image. Seriously guys, one of the best wide-angle zooms I have ever tried or used, up there with the Nikon 14-24! At $1,398 the lens is NOT cheap but when we look at other full frame lenses like this for other systems, this one comes in well below the others. This is mainly due to the slower f/4 aperture but as I said, f/2.8 is not really needed for a lens like this, especially on the A7 system."

Ive been looking at samples produced by others and its an incredibly impressive lens.

So I assume you managed to buy the part from Sony, was it expensive?

Back